Which Cue Plays Better...Balabushka or Szamboti?

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Neither. They are both cues with unique characteristics . What you like has nothing to do with what someone else may like.

Agree with the above! That said, I've personally yet to hit a Szamboti that I liked. I've hit one Balabushka for about two hours and thought it was great. Individual preference.

Edit: To be honest, neither one hit any better than the steel jointed Joss cue that I had, made by Dan Janes.

Last edited:

rschwaba

Fat Boy played one day at Hollywood Billiards with a Bala and he said it was worth like 25 grand. It had blue plastic that looked cheap south of the wrap.

Huh. So my grandpa left me a cue. It's unsigned. All I know about it is it's old, he never talked about where he got it and it's unfortunately too late to ask him now.

The points look very similar to kickin' chicken's second picture above, with the notched diamond mother-of-pearl inlay, and there's some swirly/marbly blue plastic looking stuff in the sleeve below the wrap. The wrap is that same color linen in the picture, if I remember right. Marbly blue stuff looks kinda like a bowling ball, probably looked super high-tech back in the 50s or the 60s. Has a brass joint, though, not a steel one.

I've held onto it because of the association with him and carry it around with my player in my case as kind of a good luck charm... Is it worth posting some pictures later so you guys can tell me if there's a chance it might be a family heirloom I should be leaving at home?

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am enjoying this discussion.
It's like trying to solve the ancient riddlle:

"What happens when an irresistible force meets an immovable object?".

Kinda like:
Hoppe vs. Mosconi,
SVB vs. Efren,
Mantle vs. Ruth,
Lebron vs. Jordan,
Brady vs. Manning,
Earnhardt vs. Petty,
Diamond vs. Gold Crown,
Chevy vs. Ford,
Harley Davidson vs. Triumph,
iPhone vs. Android,
Superman vs. Batman,
Fox vs. CNN,
Trump vs. Obama,
Which is even the best matchup of the above?
Clearly, the answer is...........?

Will Prout

Mosconi
Efren
Don't care
Don't care
Don't care
Don't care
Gold Crown
Chevy
Harley vs Triumph? There is no such argument. I own both...and I mean a real Triumph...not the ones they make today that are Triumph in name only. Harley wins this non-argument.
Android
Batman. I am Batman, just ask my daughter. Superman is an alien that does not exist. Batman is real.
Fox vs CNN? Neither
Trump vs Obama? That argument does not exist. They never ran against each other. Trump is the Presiden of the United States.

Gus vs George? Has nobody settled this one yet? :wink::grin:

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Huh. So my grandpa left me a cue. It's unsigned. All I know about it is it's old, he never talked about where he got it and it's unfortunately too late to ask him now.

The points look very similar to kickin' chicken's second picture above, with the notched diamond mother-of-pearl inlay, and there's some swirly/marbly blue plastic looking stuff in the sleeve below the wrap. The wrap is that same color linen in the picture, if I remember right. Marbly blue stuff looks kinda like a bowling ball, probably looked super high-tech back in the 50s or the 60s. Has a brass joint, though, not a steel one.

I've held onto it because of the association with him and carry it around with my player in my case as kind of a good luck charm... Is it worth posting some pictures later so you guys can tell me if there's a chance it might be a family heirloom I should be leaving at home?

Yes it is, post some pics.

rschwaba

I second the motion. :smile:

Alright... I'm not 100% sure how to do this so hopefully this works?

Here's a link to the imgur album if the images don't show up, not sure how to embed them properly.

https://imgur.com/a/Nc4wqTd

Vdk15LZ.jpg

d90gaKj.jpg

31Nyeja.jpg

VY5UtNy.jpg

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want to see the joint details. And the bumper.

Looks a lot like a Rich Q.

(Definitely not a Bushka.)

Last edited:

rschwaba

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure looks like a Rich Q to me.

Bushka knockoff? You could call it that as it borrows some design points.