Which is the best shaft cleaner?

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was a post a while back, by TATE, I think:
1. Wet a Magic Eraser, squeeze out excess water, rub shaft until clean.
2. Let shaft dry (about 15 minutes). Water will raise grain.
3. Use 1500-2000 grit sand paper (dry) to remove grain.
4. Use paper shopping bag or baking "parchment paper" to burnish. Follow with soft cloth or paper towel.

Works great for me!

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Shaft cleaning

Chuck the shaft in the lathe , rpms as fast as the lathe goes.
White paper towel and lots of lighter fluid .

Clean the shaft then burnish the lighter fluid in , then wax .
Best shaft cleaner in the world and the light fluid is good for the wood .

And no the shaft doesn't smell like lighter fluid ..

The lighter fluid also helps seal the wood ,, temporary just as all the waxes only seal the wood temporary.

Lighter fluid is a solvent ..........

Murray Tucker

Just a Padawan
Silver Member
I’ve given this piece of advice 1000 times before but here it is one more time. When you go pee and then wash your hands afterwards keep the damp towel after you dry your hands. Also get a dry piece of paper towel. Wipe the shaft with the damp one and then burnish with the dry one. Let the chalk and skin oils seal the grain. Works better than any store bought sealer.

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
Normally I use a lightly damp paper towel. I'll then dry it off and burnish it and it'll be smooth as silk. If you're talking about actually cleaning it I'll use alcohol and a magic eraser, but after that I need to reseal it

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
If necessary, lightly damp paper towel. Then, rub with a dry cloth, like old t shirt material. This assumes the cuemaker put a sanding sealer on it in the first place, and you have not sanded it.

Most of all though, build up your natural hand oils on the shaft, which seals it and smooths it over time.

Do your best to avoid voodoo like Magic Eraser and crap like that. They're not made for wood. Your hands are best for wood.

All the best,
WW

I agree with this with one note: I do cut up a magic eraser (get about half dozen strips) and use that to clean my ferule when it gets too gunked up.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I agree with this with one note: I do cut up a magic eraser (get about half dozen strips) and use that to clean my ferule when it gets too gunked up.

Good point. I tend to constantly rub my ferrule with my thumb during and after play, so my ferrules never get dirty. However, my understanding of Magic Eraser is that it's made for counter tops, tile, and that sort of thing. Those are certainly closer to phenolics and other ferrule plastics, so I can see it could be fine for ferrules.

All the best,
WW

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it is really dirty/blue :

1. Damp Magic eraser
2. Dry with paper towel
3. Burnish with brown paper bag...the wax in the bag seems to do a great job sealing the shaft.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
At the poolhall, I usually wipe down with just a damp paper towel or rag if it gets too dirty. If necessary, at home I'll use magic eraser and then polish it up with Cue Wiz (ultrafine sandpaper in the 2-8K grit range).

If it requires more than that, such as sanding down with 800 grit sandpaper then I take it to my local cue repair guy for shaft cleaning. Maybe one day, I'll invest in rollers, but for now that type of work goes to a guy with a cue lathe.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Three or four squirts of 409 on a paper towel.

The shaft remains blued but the grunge is off.

Lou Figueroa

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
There was a post a while back, by TATE, I think:
1. Wet a Magic Eraser, squeeze out excess water, rub shaft until clean.
2. Let shaft dry (about 15 minutes). Water will raise grain.
3. Use 1500-2000 grit sand paper (dry) to remove grain.
4. Use paper shopping bag or baking "parchment paper" to burnish. Follow with soft cloth or paper towel.

Works great for me!

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=188985

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve given this piece of advice 1000 times before but here it is one more time. When you go pee and then wash your hands afterwards keep the damp towel after you dry your hands. Also get a dry piece of paper towel. Wipe the shaft with the damp one and then burnish with the dry one. Let the chalk and skin oils seal the grain. Works better than any store bought sealer.

LMAO...I do this exact thing and it works like a charm. I'm actually pissed when they have air dryers and I can't.