Which is worse? You decide

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Ball color is. It big deal in 14/1, Banks, or One pocket.

I understand some people dislike new in vogue colors, if it bother you that much find place to play that your happy😎 with ball color.

Pool Room Owners, & Tournament Promotor would be wise to listen to customers & player comments. People offering FREE FEED BACK.

Personally dislike some of weird sets like Stone by Aramith, or Marbel colors.

Jmho

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If by global boom you mean the rise of players in China and the rest of Asia, I agree. Someone in another post had a good comment about marketing to that region, which is a lot different than marketing to people in the US.
I'm not so sure. I think marketing the modern game is pretty much the same regardless of the territory. The hustling tradition of pool in the USA will always be a part of the game in all parts of the world - just because two guys from different Asian countries speak to each other in their best English about Minnesota Fats doesn't mean that two guys in the USA should take no notice of the fact that money games are played in Asia 24/7.

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You should try it.
Never smoked anything, ain’t starting now. Tried a gummy bear, not my thing.

I’m not against weed, should never been made illegal. Just not my bag-same for drinking, just doesn’t do it for me.

Gambol! 😃😃

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
all the sports have black eyes from time to time and if the public likes the sport they tend to overlook it.

what saves them all is when the money gets large enough it isnt worth fixing things or doing any kind of business.
that is what pool needs.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
and to defend fats. as i did know him. he was honest and always kept his end of a bargain. few did that.

he made games and did what he needed honestly to win.

and he was a tremendously easy touch for any broke pool player to help them out with in reason. and he gave much money to animal causes
and people in need.
he was more of a showman and a gambler than a hustler.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the huge asian market, they tend to be pretty socially conservative and would strongly favor respectable and tend to reject seedy.
Yes but this social conservatism is double edged - they are also far less likely to escalate issues, particularly those to do with private or low key behaviour. Asians tend to skirt around problems whereas westerners tend to crash into them head first. Both approaches are pretty lousy and mean that real problems never get dealt with (let noone admit responsibility vs let's pin 100% of the blame on one party) and the cycle repeats itself ad infinitum. You can still market pool, which is actually one of the few sports where the cast of thousands is drawn from every single cultural and socio-economic background, the same way at the pro/TV level regardless of the territory.

Last edited:

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
C by a million miles

A is next 🟠

B is last (I’ve never smoked weed once in my life) but I’ve always maintained it should be legal.
Fatboy, Howdy; Ya hit the nail on the head with ALL 3 choices. I agree with all 3.

C. If they can't admit to a mistake what else have they NOT told us?

hank

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The purple 5 is disrespectful to the audience as far as I’m concerned.

But in terms of drug testing. I think the highly commercial broadcast side of pool, the Matchroom side of pool, the world championship side of pool should hold itself to standards of professionalism, fair play, health and safety. I think WADA is good for that face of pool. It’s not like they’re drug testing at DCC or Buffalo’s 1P event. You gotta pick which world you’re going to live in.

But in terms of pot specifically, that’s an ironic topic. WADA is currently reviewing whether it deserves on a list of prohibited substances. I assume US sentiment is shifting toward removing it. However my understanding is that US policymakers are were also the driving force to getting it on the list in the first place.

I understand the primary criteria for WADA to restrict a substance is that it needs to meet two of these three criteria.

► It enhances, or could potentially enhance, an athlete's performance.
► It could pose a health risk for athletes.
► It "violates the spirit of sport."

I think the ultimate stance on pot will land similar to alcohol.

kling&allen

Registered
The purple 5 is disrespectful to the audience as far as I’m concerned.

But in terms of drug testing. I think the highly commercial broadcast side of pool, the Matchroom side of pool, the world championship side of pool should hold itself to standards of professionalism, fair play, health and safety. I think WADA is good for that face of pool. It’s not like they’re drug testing at DCC or Buffalo’s 1P event. You gotta pick which world you’re going to live in.

But in terms of pot specifically, that’s an ironic topic. WADA is currently reviewing whether it deserves on a list of prohibited substances. I assume US sentiment is shifting toward removing it. However my understanding is that US policymakers are were also the driving force to getting it on the list in the first place.

I understand the primary criteria for WADA to restrict a substance is that it needs to meet two of these three criteria.

► It enhances, or could potentially enhance, an athlete's performance.
► It could pose a health risk for athletes.
► It "violates the spirit of sport."

I think the ultimate stance on pot will land similar to alcohol.

The WPA will hopefully adopt some sport specific rules for anti doping, which would avoid blow ups like this in the future. The PGA has a 50 page manual that outlines when and how players can be tested so it doesnt interfere with play.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The WPA will hopefully adopt some sport specific rules for anti doping, which would avoid blow ups like this in the future. The PGA has a 50 page manual that outlines when and how players can be tested so it doesnt interfere with play.
When you’re not an IOC recognized federation, like the PGA, I think you can can voluntarily align with WADA selectively for your own interests and get away with it. Even then that causes tension as it relates to the Olympics.

When you are an IOC recognized federation like WPA (or whatever the IGF was/is) then compliance with WADA is meant to be complete. My understanding is that WPA doesn’t even get to administer the anti-doping program, WADA does.

Now if WPA wants to cut ties with IOC, there’s an option. But I feel like WPA’s relevance is married to Matchroom support. And it seems Matchroom likes the linkage of WPA for legitimizing the official and professional brand they’re trying to sell. And I don’t see any Matchroom interest on that front to water down that status by severing IOC affiliation.

kling&allen

Registered
When you’re not an IOC recognized federation, like the PGA, I think you can can voluntarily align with WADA selectively for your own interests and get away with it. Even then that causes tension as it relates to the Olympics.

When you are an IOC recognized federation like WPA (or whatever the IGF was/is) then compliance with WADA is meant to be complete. My understanding is that WPA doesn’t even get to administer the anti-doping program, WADA does.

Now if WPA wants to cut ties with IOC, there’s an option. But I feel like WPA’s relevance is married to Matchroom support. And it seems Matchroom likes the linkage of WPA for legitimizing the official and professional brand they’re trying to sell. And I don’t see any Matchroom interest on that front to water down that status by severing IOC affiliation.

No, that's not accurate if you mean that pro athletes are being testing under WADA protocols for all these other sports year round. They aren't. But you highlighted the issue--most sports have a pro association for professional events (PGA for golf) and an international association (IGF for golf) for Olympic competition. That's to prevent the pros from being hassled with Olympic testing standards and other Olympic nonsense 3.5 years out of every 4. Pool only has one association (WPA) who bungles everything it touches.

And 2036 is the next time billiards has a shot at the Olympics so this is a nonsense dream anyway. I've never seen Matchroom coverage mention the Olympics because it's stupid to talk about something might happen in 2 decades. And one of the few organizations with a worse reputation than pool is the IOC. The IOC doesn't care about drug testing--it's added dozens of skateboarding and snowboarding events in recent years and there is no testing in those sports outside of the Olympics.

JustPlay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brunswick Centennial Balls are my favorite, they were consistent for many years at professional events. What is a bigger problem I see in pool is the shot clock in the Finals of any tournament. Time after time a player is down on a shot (which could decide the match or game) and "beep...beep...beep" . It should not be. Most players today shoot at a decent pace. I realize, Straight pool and One pocket (especially One-Hole) can be tedious and maybe a shot clock is needed, maybe. Also, when a player makes a ball or two on the break and 3 balls do not go past the head string, the breaker is penalized. That is just wrong, the break shot is a lucky shot. It's like trying to make a combination shot and if you do not pocket a ball, your opponent gets ball in hand or you forfeit your turn at the table. As far as drug testing is concerned, I really have no opinion, I was not aware it is a problem amongst professional players. Thanks for reading.