White Streak On Cloth During Break

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got my new break shaft with the G-10 material for my Lucasi cue yesterday. It hits fine, very similar to a phenolic ferrule/tip. no complaints for $45.

The one thing that I have noticed different is that when I use this shaft I put a white streak on the cloth. I couldn’t figure out what it was then I realized the tip is going into the cloth on my follow thru. I've never had this happen before, can anyone explain why this would happen with this new shaft?

different material? different length? one of those things?

Mike
 
You may have been going into the cloth in the past, but that tip did not goudge the cloth.

OR

The new cue is somehow altering the stroke and thereby going into the cloth.

Recommendation:

Slow down your break and work on the stroke.
 
Might be a cue ball "burn" mark?
SPF=randyg

No, this is not the burn mark. the tip on this new cue hits the cloth. after i noticed this i paid close attention a couple of times and i hit the cloth with the tip.

I am going to break with my old Cuetec butt and break shaft that Ryan at Muellers made to fit the Cuetec when i get home from the office today (saturday). curious to see if i hit the cloth with it.

Mike
 
Instead of the cue ball causing it, its may be the G10 tip causing the white burn marks.

must be it. wonder if there's anything i can do about that? i'd like to keep this break shaft, that way i can play with a Lucasi, break with a Lucasi, and jump with a Lucasi.

Mike
 
just a word of warning....g10 is really hard stuff and it can damage the balls. IMO, this stuff should be outlawed.
 
The best and most reliable solution to this is to play straight pool and one pocket exclusively and forget all those carnival games. :thumbup:

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.
 
just a word of warning....g10 is really hard stuff and it can damage the balls. IMO, this stuff should be outlawed.

Well, then, i wonder.....could a cuemaker take this ferrule/tip/G-10 off and replace it with a new ferrule and a Samsara break tip? that way i'd sort of get the break shaft for the Lucasi cue.

Mike
 
sure, absolutely. you actually don't have to remove the ferrule if you don't want to. just face it off flat and put on your tip of choice. the samsara is excellent.

i've found phenolic tips can also damage the balls, but it varies from tip to tip. i think there's various grades of phenolic out there and perhaps some variance even within them, so it's kinda 50-50. some do, some don't.
 
sure, absolutely. you actually don't have to remove the ferrule if you don't want to. just face it off flat and put on your tip of choice. the samsara is excellent.

i've found phenolic tips can also damage the balls, but it varies from tip to tip. i think there's various grades of phenolic out there and perhaps some variance even within them, so it's kinda 50-50. some do, some don't.

yes this is true......the older style phenolic with the wider open weave that you find used in old motors as bearings and such I find to be a harder product than what I see today. I've never tested with a hardness scale but I notice a diff in how it dulls my cutting bits much quicker......the old phenolic is the hardest stuff I've ever cut into besides Stainless Steel.

I never saw the point in phenolic tips on break cues anyway........I'd take Coreys break over Charlie Bryants anyday.

-Grey Ghost-
 
Back
Top