Who and Why was LD shaft invented

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Predator filed a handful of patents on its LD shafts over the years with varying success. This is the patent that most directly applies to its hollow-bore design, requiring a shaft having a wall thickness of about 0.030 to 0.050in:

And a second patent requiring a ferrule with a "zip":

Predator voluntarily abandoned both of these patents (dedicating them to the public) in 2012 when it decided not to pay the government fee to keep them alive.

Here's a failed attempt from Predator to patent a similar design in 2006, which the Patent Office rejected in view of Predator's earlier patents.

Predator sued McDermott over some of these patents in 2006, alleging that McDermott's i-shaft cues infringed its patents. The case apparently settled a year later (before the court looked at anything) on unknown terms.

(and this is how i wasted my lunch hour).
I heard there was a discrepancy about the 3/8x10 quick release which is funny because it's not the same thread as the uni loc and it's flat faced. But mcdermott quit offering it.
Go figure
How was lunch

Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did a search before I posted, I thought it was a word that I didn't know (there's a lot of those)

Did you mean: discrepancy

No results containing all your search terms were found.
Your search - descrepumpsy - did not match any documents.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I heard there was a discrepancy about the 3/8x10 quick release which is funny because it's not the same thread as the uni loc and it's flat faced. But mcdermott quit offering it.
Go figure
How was lunch

That’s a good explanation for the settlement—it had nothing to do with the underlying lawsuit but it was some win for Predator that avoided an expensive lawsuit.

Lunch was tolerable, thanks for asking!