Who except for predator makes pie-laminated, hollowed out shafts?

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
Updated list:

Pie-Laminated: Lucasi Hybrid, Katana, Fury, Universal Smart Shaft, Predator, CueTec R360, Jacoby Edge Hybrid, Dominiak, Longoni S2, S3

Non-Pie Laminated: Tiger and OB

Non-Laminated: Mezz, Players HXT, G-Core, iShafts

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I prefer 314 to z2 because of the tip width. I have the pre-cat 314 on my playing cue and i don't see that i will ever change, i'm really settled with it. but still curious about different LD shafts.

Hey guys, as some may know I'm interested also in learning more about some of these LD shafts.

I see in quite a few posts, the mention of different approaches with different tip widths as well as different tapers, but I don't recall seeing an actual breakdown of which shaft has which tip width and which taper.

I'm used to a very long pro taper and a tip width of about 12.50 to 12.75. I use a closed bridge mostly and don't like to feel the shaft getting thicker throughout my stroke. Do any of these better LD shafts have similar construction?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guess i'm curious. and i want to find out what shaft i saw that was drilled out that much. it was the lightest shaft i ever seen, lighter than both my 314 and z2 are.

I prefer 314 to z2 because of the tip width. I have the pre-cat 314 on my playing cue and i don't see that i will ever change, i'm really settled with it. but still curious about different LD shafts.

Ok, gotcha. That's as good a reason as any:) I thought you were using your questions as criteria to pick a shaft.

Did you see that shaft you mentioned in person? There are a few guys using a no-ferrule, hollowed out approach. But these are small shops. From the mass produced shops, I think Predator has the laminated, hollowed out, and ferrule design very well patent protected.

Are you sure the shaft you saw wasn't actually a predator? Did you actually see the inside of it? Predator's hole is about 6 inches deep. Some Predator shafts don't have a logo on them, and sometimes a repair man will change their ferrules out to another material, which will make it no longer look like a predator.

Just throwing out some options...

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, gotcha. That's as good a reason as any:) I thought you were using your questions as criteria to pick a shaft.

Did you see that shaft you mentioned in person? There are a few guys using a no-ferrule, hollowed out approach. But these are small shops. From the mass produced shops, I think Predator has the laminated, hollowed out, and ferrule design very well patent protected.

Are you sure the shaft you saw wasn't actually a predator? Did you actually see the inside of it? Predator's hole is about 6 inches deep. Some Predator shafts don't have a logo on them, and sometimes a repair man will change their ferrules out to another material, which will make it no longer look like a predator.

yes i saw the shaft and felt the cue, it had a ferrule and the same kind of taper as 314 but was lighter in weight. he said it was hollow like predator but deeper.

now that i've learnt more about what production cues are out there i'm quite certain his cue was custom made. this is in europe so maybe it's a european cue maker (although i doubt it because most people here import from USA).

but was this patent infringement then?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yes i saw the shaft and felt the cue, it had a ferrule and the same kind of taper as 314 but was lighter in weight. he said it was hollow like predator but deeper.

now that i've learnt more about what production cues are out there i'm quite certain his cue was custom made. this is in europe so maybe it's a european cue maker (although i doubt it because most people here import from USA).

but was this patent infringement then?

A couple of comments regarding any patents:

1. Its impossible to know if the cue you saw infringed any patents, without examining it closely, taking it apart, and having a patent expert examine both the cue and the patents in question.

2. US patents are only for the US, not worldwide. I don't know if Predator has any patents in Europe.

3. Just for arguments sake, even if there was a patent infringement, its usually not cost effective to go after the company unless they are a large competitor. If a custom guy is making 10 or 100 shafts a year this way, that no one even knows about, what is the point of suing him? This is if the custom guy is in the US. Add an international border to this scenario, and there is even less chance for any legal actions. A mass produced competitor would be a different story.

4. These are my opinions, and you know what they say about opinions;)

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
iusedtoberich: that makes sense.

the patent itself is a bit weird too, drilling a hole and say noone else can do it.. :wink:
i guess that if there are custom cue makers that utilize this technique for making their shafts light and LD, maybe they prefer to keep a low profile

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see in quite a few posts, the mention of different approaches with different tip widths as well as different tapers, but I don't recall seeing an actual breakdown of which shaft has which tip width and which taper.

I'm used to a very long pro taper and a tip width of about 12.50 to 12.75. I use a closed bridge mostly and don't like to feel the shaft getting thicker throughout my stroke. Do any of these better LD shafts have similar construction?

The predator 314 has a 12.75 millimeter tip and the predator Z has 11.75 mm.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's the link to Predator's patent for anyone who's interested. It breaks down all the unique aspects of the shaft as well as the company's claims.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=8x...Q&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=6348006&f=false

Right where they started talking about proximal and distal ends, I'm ready to quit reading. I deal with those two terms daily, and they're backwards in my own line of work depending on the device.

If it's a Needle, that's one thing. If it's a Catheter, that's another thing. If it's a pie segmented butt and shaft.....?

Freddie <~~~ hungry yet again