Who is your favorite player and why?

JPB2

I'm a little torn here, because there are two categories of player that tend to attract me:

If I'm looking for the ones who make the most impressive decisions, give me Filler, Orcullo, and Pagulayan. They walk in the footsteps of Reyes and Varner.
Good way to look at it. Orcullo is impressive. But as I find myself getting more interested in one pocket, I found it hard to watch Orcullo in one match. He doesn’t just ponder but gets down and gets up so many times. If he looks at three shots it seemed like he’d get down and back up multiple times on each. That’s probably an overstatement. Announcers don’t help when they call what they think he will do even if 95% of the time he is going to get back up and the actual shot is 2-3 minutes away. Maybe that’s too harsh. And maybe he visualizes so well he needs to get down and visualize it. And when he comes with a shot it is often great. So I like Alex P more. 😃

Reactions: bbb

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of the ones I've met, my favorites were Gorst and Rodney Morris. Also Alex was a good seeming guy as well as Aloysius Yapp.

That I haven't met I really like watching is Hoang. I also like Jesus Atencio just seems classy and has a nice jump shot.

I didn't like SVB or DeLuna (I used to like DeLuna but in person not so much). I didn't care much for Dennis or Tony either.

Last edited:

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
There are so many great players to choose from that my choices could change like the days of the week.

I always enjoyed Warren Kiamco's game. Simple but his high gear was steady and impressive.
Rafael Martinez is another player who shocked me on several occasions, Rafael rarely missed.

WobblyStroke

I'm a stroke nerd so favor watching any players with some personality in their strokes. If I'm in a mood to watch pool it is pretty much always a match involving one of these guys...
Earl
Efren
Mika
Busty
SVB
Deuel
(in that order)

Earl in gear is the best 9baller ever and it ain't close imo.
Efren is a pure genius and always a pleasure to watch.
It's a shame that when Mika was his most dominant, pool really wasn't getting much coverage at all so many people don't even realize just how great a player he really was in his prime. Player of the decade isn't handed out to just anybody.
Busty might be among the most beautiful movers I've ever seen along with the likes of Federer
Deuel probably has as much raw talent as anyone ever had and is very imaginative. Never really settled on a technique and has more strokes than a rowing team.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There must be thousands ahead. Fortunately I know how pool goes and what I want to do with it. Those thousands - or millions for that matter are of little consequence and only those dedogged few are even of interest. Filler, Ko, Gorst, etc... etc... I pick me. I'm the only one GAF. Me me me.... lol...

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Before I ever attended live events and only watched on ESPN this is the late 90s early 00s, I liked watching Stefano Pelinga a trick shot artist.

After I became a live pool spectator, Capt Hook, The Pearl, and Iceman. They have a strong presence.

After the Emily interviews Shaw and He showed great character. The career of a pool player is full of travel and road life.
Trickshots....wow. It's tough at times not to make fun of you when you poop the bed like that in public. Quick turn on the TV. Dog grooming is on ESPN3.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Before I ever attended live events and only watched on ESPN this is the late 90s early 00s, I liked watching Stefano Pelinga a trick shot artist.

After I became a live pool spectator, Capt Hook, The Pearl, and Iceman. They have a strong presence.

After the Emily interviews Shaw and He showed great character. The career of a pool player is full of travel and road life.

Ah, Stefano Pelinga, a good Irish lad! I know he has bunches of top three finishes, I guess he has had his share of wins. Artistic pool is just his side job though. He was the high speed pursuit guy around Rome, Italy, for many years. Imagine having a supercar to tear around Rome in, legally! Had to be a chick magnet too.

I have liked Busty for ages, I guess he is the grand old man of the game in the Philippines if he hasn't retired himself. Alex is a great player plus he always lightens things up! When all is said and done, I haven't paid that much attention lately. I do always like Shane. You can always see he is there to take care of business, wherever "there" is!

Hu

DaWizard

For me it used to be Bustamente. For the stroke and his presence at the table.

Nowadays I get excited when Filler is playing, Pia I mean 🤪 no, Joshua for the possible brillancy and his mindset.

The current Asian players I haven't seen enough. I'm sure there's a favorite player to be discovered...

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought his (Pelinga's) book lol. In addition to the spread of how to info, he mentions a 90-50-50 aiming system and credits an anonymous player in the Philippines. Can anyone add more detail to this system?

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a lot of posters missed the word "current". or i guess it's relative when written like that.

i'll go with filler in rotation and chohan in one pocket. if wu makes a comeback that would be awesome too.

DaWizard

True, but I guess former favorites are interesting as well. Did ask for current favorites indeed

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Favorite pool players are like a box of chocolates. You can't just pick one.

alex and keith open.jpg
Shane and Keith (1).JPG
Jennie and Earl Strickland 2005 Joss Tour Season Finale.JPG
KellyFisher2.jpg
230604tgw_ukopen23_9056246-scaled.jpg
1553981824_044224_1553982000_noticia_normal.jpg

And whether current or from the past, you can take the player out of pool, but you can never, ever take the pool out of a player. It's a lifetime passion for some.
IMG_7679.jpg

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Trickshots....wow. It's tough at times not to make fun of you when you poop the bed like that in public. Quick turn on the TV. Dog grooming is on ESPN3.

If we start including streamers, the Asian guys that cheat on shots are funny.

I keep hoping a production crew starts filming men's reaction to getting hustled by female players.

I am quite proud I never gave up on my trickshots. After years I learned the right strokes.

WobblyStroke

a lot of posters missed the word "current". or i guess it's relative when written like that.

i'll go with filler in rotation and chohan in one pocket. if wu makes a comeback that would be awesome too.
ye. whoosh. tho currently I still prefer replays of the greats over current guys.
I like Kaci (with fast forward on between shots).. Wu is a fun watch for me. He is great and a nice example of a guy who refined his natural stroke he won the WC with but managed to keep some personality in the delivery. more of a cyborg than a robot :p

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

We all miss things…..last two times TRex played the Lion, he got 8-7 and lost handily.
JJ calls Alex the best one pocket player on the planet.

Bigkat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
💡💡
*Efren because he's the Goat!!🐐🐐🐐
*Tony Chohan in One Pocket
*Chicago Bugs in banking

4railer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
John Brumback his banking game is great to see . He draws great crowds .
Trex nonchalant way around the table creativity.
Corey has almost everything in his bag .