Who is your top 5 cue makers?

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Basically the short list seems to be about resale... From a playing cue perspective I can tell you that the guys that are willing to go very far in adjusting everything to satisfy a player are few and far between.... Several would flat out tell you if you don't like the hit go somewhere else.....

I have a friend that does exactly that... This is the number 1 reason I ordered a cue from him and one of the reasons we became friends.... He's local so I won't out him since none of you will know him but I will offer up another cue maker that seems to go the extra yard...... Mike G..... Gullyassy seems almost as crazy as Earl which means I can spot them both the 8 in sanity... but if you want something that is truly yours that's the "Named" horse I would bet on...........

ronscuba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Basically the short list seems to be about resale... From a playing cue perspective I can tell you that the guys that are willing to go very far in adjusting everything to satisfy a player are few and far between.... Several would flat out tell you if you don't like the hit go somewhere else.....

This is interesting. I know I read something similar that basically said most custom cue makers are really production cues makers producing limited quantities. Who can blame the established makers who already have a following making "their version" of custom.

If they make a cue fully to the customers request they run the risk of putting their name on a cue that does not meet "their standard" of feel, playability, etc.. This certainly can affect resale value. Maybe they would be willing to be more flexible if the buyer agreed the cue would not have the maker's name or label on it ? If a buyer is purely concerned about playability, this is sounds like a reasonable trade off.

Last edited:

BarneyCalip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of my cues.....

Bert Schrager
Bill Stroud, Josswest
Judd
Ernie Goiterrez, Gina
Ray Schuler, Schuler Joint

Balabushka_Man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2014 Update:

Times Change So I'm Bumping This Thread.
As There Are So Many Fine Cue Makers Of
The Past & Present How About Listing "TEN"

George Balabushka Was And Always Will Be
The Obvious Father Of Great Cue Makers So
I've Listed My Top 10 After That Clear Choice.

As Not To Show Any Bias Listed Alphabetically:

Black Boar
Gina
Mottey
Rambow
Scruggs
Searing
Southwest
Szamboti
Tad
Tascarella ( of course :) )

Sticking With "My Top 5" Per The Original OP Are:

1) Balabushka
2) Tascarella
3) Searing
4) Szamboti
5) Tad

Last edited:

Badbeat13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. Searing
2. South West( A fancy Franklin)
3. Kersenbrock
4. Gus Szamboti
5. Barry Szamboti

And if it was 10 cue makers.

6. Petersen
7. Mobley
8. Mottey
9. Gina
10. Tad

And if it was 11 cue makers.

11. Black Boar
12. Balabushka
13. Haley
14. Tascarella
15. James White

There are many more great makers that aren't listed above, but I've already listed 10 more than the OP called for(sorry OP). Good thread. Even though it's old, it's the 1st time I've seen it. Thanks for bumping it to the top.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
2014 Update:

George Balabushka Was And Always Will Be
The Obvious Father Of Great Cue Makers So
I've Listed My Top 10 After That Clear Choice.

I think Herman Rambow should be considered the father of great cue-makers.
The 'bastard thread' (14 to the inch) is still used by many.

And I've always considered Gus Szamboti to be a class higher than
George Balabuska.

my opinion, of course

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In no particular order:

Tony Guerra
Paul Fanelli
Joseph Pechauer
Richard Black
Leonard Bludworth (though I don't think he still makes cues so I'll add one more)
Dan Dishaw

DavidMNienow

Glamour Dave
Silver Member
My top 10 dream collection would consist of cue from the following cue makers:

01. Balabushka
02. Gus Szamboti
03. Richard Black
04. Tim Scruggs
05. Tad Kohara
06. Bert Schrager
07. Ginacue
08. Bill Schick
09. Paul Drexler
10. Burton Spain

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cue

Bob Runde Ernie G,(Gina), Burton Spain,Gus Szamboti,Frank Parrodise or Dave Kershenbock.

StuartTKelley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keith Josey
John (jack) Madden
sugartree (want to try one)
Southwest (ditto)
Tim Scruggs

Alternate: Sheldon Lebow

Finally someone said Keith Josey....I honestly can't believe that more people wouldn't have him in their list. I've hit with a lot of those other cues, not all, but haven't found one that I like as much as a Josey...I know it's subjective but Keith's cues are among the best out there, again, in my opinion.

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
Sticking With "My Top 5" per OP:

1) Tad
2) Ginacue
3) Tascarella
4) Southwest
5) Schon

I would like to put Black Boar on the list just based on his designs but I never had the pleasure shooting with one.

Last edited:

phatskeemz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a tough list but based on playability and craftsmanship

1-Dennis Searing
2-John Showman
3-Kenny Koo
4-Randy Mobley
5-Gus Szamboti

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
1. Bob Frey
2.Tim Scruggs
I've owned a lot of cues in my time but for playability these 2 makers are it. I think Bob Frey is the most underrated cue maker that ever lived, his cues are the truth.