Who likes staples over glue

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
Sorry I coulndnt make it but now that a few more people have seen Glen's way of recovering tables. So who thinks staples are better then glue and who still has cracked and sore nuckles from the glue and cloth.

It sure comes out nicer with the glue less streach makes and pockets look cleaner with flap, french cuff, [ cobra flap tm by Glen ].

Glad to here about all that made it to the seminar those who helped, learned and shared best of luck in the future...

Craig

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
flip the coin

i mostly used both...glue the sides and a inch on top around edge of slate put a few staples down the sides every foot and a half or so just to assure the hold on the glue down and the stretched sides....if u use the number 10 glue that glen is using u will not need staples anywhere but in the pockets to dress them...i use 77 to glue pockets to hold em....i used to stretch end to end pulling to corner and then side to side pulling to the corner pockets in the corners ....if u use the system that glen is using you stretch side to side then end to end....it works great.....just make sure its stretched straight and even on ur marks>>>the HR cloth is tricky to stretch...:p

ROB.M

Silver Member
opps

now i read it i realized i did not mention that i was using 77 to glue a inch of the top and the sides of slate.... with number 10 glue u will not need to glue the top at all... SPRAY GLUE AND NUMBER 10 BOTH BUILD UP ON TOP.and add to the sides of play surface and makes the ball track bad causes ball track lines down rails from the height....spend the money for number 10 and do it rite....with 77 u take a chance of pulling the 77 glue lose while stretching....when using number 10 it will not come loose when installed and used properly...scrape all that 77 spray glue off the top of the slate and never glue there again.. bar box is a lil diff than 1 inch backed slate

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
I have been using Glens wayu for about a year maybe longer and love it with or without glue. I do feel gluing is overall better fit and finish over staples. I just was wondering how many that loved staples before Glens seminiar and after the class would switch ful time to glue or use Glens technique and stay with staples.

Just wondering all those who posted staples over glue and plaster over bondo might now understand the benifets of better material's, techniques lead to better overall fit and finish. Or what they will adapt to thier already established techniques they have.

Craig

Cuephoric

1hole anyone?
Silver Member
Eventually, glue is probably going to be the only way to go as manufacturers start thinking about the costs of putting backing on the slate and begin getting rid of those costs.
In which case, there will be nothing to staple to, and super 77 just will not hold up to a monster stretch with Simonis.
I tried it recently and the end result.... go back scrape off, and start over.
It doesn't work.
On the other hand, I have a case and a half of staples to use up, so will go both routes for a while I guess.
But, once you can find a good supplier for the Scotchweld#10, stock up, Grangers is no longer going to have it as a catalog item, as I was informed yesterday.....
Although you can order 4 gallons for $50 less than 12 quarts, just put them into mason jars. You're going to need to anyway.

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried the green scotchguard yet?
It costs about $8 more and lists out about the same, but is supposed to be stronger.
Don't think I need it, but it's easily available all over the place right now. So is the tan.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Eventually, glue is probably going to be the only way to go as manufacturers start thinking about the costs of putting backing on the slate and begin getting rid of those costs.
In which case, there will be nothing to staple to, and super 77 just will not hold up to a monster stretch with Simonis.
I tried it recently and the end result.... go back scrape off, and start over.
It doesn't work.
On the other hand, I have a case and a half of staples to use up, so will go both routes for a while I guess.
But, once you can find a good supplier for the Scotchweld#10, stock up, Grangers is no longer going to have it as a catalog item, as I was informed yesterday.....
Although you can order 4 gallons for $50 less than 12 quarts, just put them into mason jars. You're going to need to anyway.

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried the green scotchguard yet?
It costs about $8 more and lists out about the same, but is supposed to be stronger.
Don't think I need it, but it's easily available all over the place right now. So is the tan.

The green is water based, and goes on to thin, and won't hold near as tight;)

sausage

Banned

eventually, some mechanical engineer type is going to invent adjustable cloth clamps which fit the perimeter of the table.

A-1 billiards

FELT WRIGHT
Silver Member
Sorry I coulndnt make it but now that a few more people have seen Glen's way of recovering tables. So who thinks staples are better then glue and who still has cracked and sore nuckles from the glue and cloth.

It sure comes out nicer with the glue less stretch makes and pockets look cleaner with flap, french cuff, [ cobra flap tm by Glen ].

Glad to here about all that made it to the seminar those who helped, learned and shared best of luck in the future...

Craig

Hey Craig, We really missed you there good buddy. It would have been great to have another mechanic there familiar with the glue down system.

I used my rubber jawed duck billed vice grips to stretch the cloth, with my free hand underneath the unglued portion. Pulling my freehand out every 8-12 inches to stick down and rub in the glued edge. No skinned knuckles, no sore fingers. The one exception is the combination pull at the corner of the side rail and the end rail, bare handed gave me better control on that pull.

I've used a combination of glue and staples for years. The most valuable part of the process is not the attachment with the glue, it's the meticulous layout and marking system. The 3M 10 just allows me to do away with the stapling on the body of the table. Any staple I don't put in is that many less I have to pull out in the future.

After the learning curve, as with any new procedure I don't think it will take any longer than the more traditional staple down process. Keeping in mind your saving stripping time on the next recovery. There's one more advantage also, when you have old slate frames that have many recovery's on them and wood that is torn out, the gluing system makes those repairs moot.

Jay

Cuephoric

1hole anyone?
Silver Member
The green is water based, and goes on to thin, and won't hold near as tight;)

Kinda what I thought...salesmen blowing smoke.
Red flags went up when they didn't get in the case that I ordered two weeks ago, but they had plenty of this green stuff in stock! lol I passed.
Thanks Glen-

realkingcobra

Silver Member
eventually, some mechanical engineer type is going to invent adjustable cloth clamps which fit the perimeter of the table.

Some things are just going to always have to be done by hand, kind of like getting dressed in the morning, it's just never going to be automated:D

Glen

ROB.M

Silver Member
stretching devise

Time is money...making a gig and using it to prestretch cloth and setting it up every time ya recover will take up much time and not help ya glue system in any way...let the water take its easyest path down hill. Hand stretching is the only way to go

Cuephoric

1hole anyone?
Silver Member
I did another table using old faithful #10 this weekend, and I gotta say that I'm not happy.... I couldn't find a single dang thing to B*^% about when it was done! I can usually find SOMETHING that I don't like about a table (even if it's a staple that needs moved over on the rails.)
I'm not happy if I can't find something to nitpick and improve upon. Now I gotta go find a new hobby to start so I can gripe about that.;)
Yard darts anyone?:D

But, on the bright side, I have several more rows of staples that can go into rails down the road......