who makes the best sneaky pete?

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
I am currenty playing with a tasteful custom cue that has ebony rings, east india rosewood forearm and butt with a wrapless beautiful birdseye maple center. However, I now know that my heart belongs to a good old fashioned sneaky pete. Any suggestions as to who makes a good, reasonably priced pete? I have seen some Jerry Olivier SP's that look great, but have never played with one. Thoughts?

pooldawg8

My Pride and Joy
Gold Member
Silver Member
Can`t go wrong with a Scruggs sneaky. Theres been a few nice ones forsale lately on here. Best of luck to ya in your search.
Jeff

JDB

Idiot Savant
Silver Member
yeah but for the price of a scruggs sneaky he could get a custom cue built.

Maybe they have gone up in price since I last looked because he no longer makes them but they used to be very reasonably priced (roughly $400 or so with two shafts).

Bob Frey worked for Scruggs, I believe, and he kind of took over making Sneaky Petes when Timmy stopped. Therefore, I believe that Bob Frey would be a good option.

I love Sneaky Pete's as well. I have a Scruggs and a Mark Bear and I love both of them. My main requirement is that I love a metal on metal joint, not a wood on metal joint. Most that I see these days are wood on metal.

I was thinking about ordering one from Frey myself with a 13MM shaft instead of 12.75MM, which is my current Scruggs.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Can`t go wrong with a Scruggs sneaky. Theres been a few nice ones forsale lately on here. Best of luck to ya in your search.
Jeff

Jeff, I don't think there is such a thing, Tim Claims that he never made any Sneaky Pete's himself. He has said they were all made by an apprentice, so why not just buy one from the man who made them and for a great deal less. The gentleman who made the so called Scruggs Sneaky petes is was Bob Fry, and you can find those for less than $400.

Check the thread below, read reply #25 by Dave Sutton.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=135015&page=2

Take Care

InTheCloudzzz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a Bob Frey about a year ago and absolutely love it. I just got a Keith Josey about a month ago and it is awesome also. You can't go wrong w/ either one. Both provided excellent customer service and I have NO regrets w/ either one. Both cues were around the $350 range and that seems to be the going price for the custom "sneaky petes" from reputable cuemakers. Obviously, I highly recommend both of these!!!

Ryan

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
Bob Frey

My vote goes to Bob Frey as well. I currently own 4 of his cues and one of them is a nice sneaky pete.

Kevin

JDB

Idiot Savant
Silver Member
Jeff, I don't think there is such a thing, Tim Claims that he never made any Sneaky Pete's himself. He has said they were all made by an apprentice, so why not just buy one from the man who made them and for a great deal less. The gentleman who made the so called Scruggs Sneaky petes is was Bob Fry, and you can find those for less than $400.

Take Care

I am sure you are right and I am sure this is common with all cuemakers once they reach a certain status. The lower work is going to be done by apprentices; however, the work will be done to the "master's" specs and ultimate approval.

Therefore, once the apprentice leaves the "master", which Timmy is, does the apprentice adhere to the same specs?

I am sure that most apprentices do (if they are smart) and I am sure that Bob Frey does; however, I don't think you can assume they are the same.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
I am sure you are right and I am sure this is common with all cuemakers once they reach a certain status. The lower work is going to be done by apprentices; however, the work will be done to the "master's" specs and ultimate approval.

Therefore, once the apprentice leaves the "master", which Timmy is, does the apprentice adhere to the same specs?

I am sure that most apprentices do (if they are smart) and I am sure that Bob Frey does; however, I don't think you can assume they are the same.

I am not assuming anything, actually just the opposite. Tim clearly stated he has made no Sneaky pete's, so who is the real Master of Sneaky Pete's? I doubt seriously that Tim spent much time inspecting them, and I also doubt that Bob would change the way they were made because they were so well recepted by the public.

So if Tim did not make them and Bob did I guess the only differents is the TS Logo, so I would suspect that should be given the credit he deserves and the cues should just be called FTS Sneaky Pete Cues or Tim Scruggs Sneak Pete's made by Bob Fry.

But, in the end was it the cues themselves or just a Name!!!!!!!:)

Last edited:

pooldawg8

My Pride and Joy
Gold Member
Silver Member

Take Care

Thanks for letting me know that Craig. I was just calling them what everyone elses on here calls them Scruggs sneakies. I was just given my thoughts on a old fashion cue. Bob probably did make all the sneakies in Tims shop. I also hear that Bob makes a very nice playing sneaky pete. I was just trying to help this Azer out with my thoughts, thats all. There are plenty of AZB cue makers that would probably make a real nice ''old fashion sneaky'' for a very reasonable price & that plays very good also.
Jeff

DeepBanks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Check out Doug Patrick

Great workmanship and playability at a reasonable price . . . he is here in the forum or go to:

www.patrickcustomcues.com

I love mine . . .

Attachments

• Patrick CoCobola Sneaky Pete.JPG
    Patrick CoCobola Sneaky Pete.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,033

Jon P. Nusbaum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who makes the Best Sneaky Pete

Thought I would check in on this thread, I'am biased,as CuesNThings is the Bob Frey Distributer. Tim Scruggs and Mike Cochran have been very helpful with Bob Frey in the technical construction details of Bob's current cues. They as well as I have been friends for more years than I will admit too.

All components in Bob's cues are Threaded,including Butts,Forearms,Joint Colars,Tenions,and Ferrules. Ferrules are also open, not capped,for solid hit with Tip. All Points match up and each cue gets three coats of clear. Premium shafts are used as well as a special taper for strong hit,little deflection. There are no Butt bolts, cue is naturally balanced.

You get much more in performance then you pay, great cues.

Currently I can't keep stock, they go out as fast as Bob can hand make. Orders take about 3 to 4 weeks, and I will be glad to assist with getting a cue made for anyone as quikly as possible. JP

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From what i've heard a lot of people like Mr. Frey's cues. i don't think i'd buy one though. i know a guy that owns one that had a problem. he said when he talked to Mr. Frey about it he was standoffish and offered no help dealing with the problem with mr frey's cue

Jon P. Nusbaum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who makes the Best Sneaky Pete

From one comment,you make such a statement. I personally have sold approximately 300 Bob Frey cues in a little over 2 years. There have been 2 problems that I recall, and the customer was handled professionly and happy in the end. From Time to Time Bob will receive a call, and in all fairness,may or may not remember all the details of a transaction. He, like all of us can get moody,but is fair and will try to assist customers as best he can,with few exceptions. As for me, I think I have a good reputation in satisfying my customers, "Thats why I'am here" . I suggest that you play with a Bob Frey, then let use know how you like the cue and it's quality. I'am not trying to start a verbal war, just feel that now and then a problem may accure, but most have a way of working out. JP:smile:

Last edited:

Rusty Melton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Frey's and Josey's play great. I'd like to add that I had a great experience with Frey, I ordered through JP at cuesnthings with no problems. JP was great to deal with.

IntoTheRail

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thought I would check in on this thread, I'am biased,as CuesNThings is the Bob Frey Distributer. Tim Scruggs and Mike Cochran have been very helpful with Bob Frey in the technical construction details of Bob's current cues. They as well as I have been friends for more years than I will admit too.

All components in Bob's cues are Threaded,including Butts,Forearms,Joint Colars,Tenions,and Ferrules. Ferrules are also open, not capped,for solid hit with Tip. All Points match up and each cue gets three coats of clear. Premium shafts are used as well as a special taper for strong hit,little deflection. There are no Butt bolts, cue is naturally balanced.

You get much more in performance then you pay, great cues.

Currently I can't keep stock, they go out as fast as Bob can hand make. Orders take about 3 to 4 weeks, and I will be glad to assist with getting a cue made for anyone as quikly as possible. JP

The one I received in January has a weight bolt in it.....

knoxpossum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got a Leonard Bludworth sneaky that I would sell for a reasonable price. Let me know if you are interested and I will send you details. Bob Harris Custom Cues has a really nice looking Josey on their website if you decide to go that route.

Aaron_S

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had Judd Fuller of Judd Custom Cues build a sneaky for me back on '04 and I'm very happy with it. Price, IIRC, was $340 or so. FWIW, this cue was purchased as a replacement for a Scruggs sneaky that I had just plain wore out. The Scruggs was the best playing cue I'd ever owned, but after several years of heavy play, including breaking with it, the joint started to get sloppy and the shaft developed a moderate warp. I intended to hold on to it anyway, but someone stole it one night when I was using it for a breaker. :frown:

Also, Huebler used to make a quite good sneaky for the money... about $150 the last time I bought one, which was admittedly many moons ago.

Good luck,
Aaron