Who's playing straight pool today?

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ran 13 last night. As usual, the closer I get to the break ball the farther out of position I get.

Wife's card club convenes here at 10:30 so I'll be waiting at the pool room door for it to open at 12:00. Straight pool possible but 8 ball probably.

Dave Nelson

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Dave, try identifying not only the break ball and key ball, but also the ball before the key ball and the ball to get on the ball before the key ball.

Fix small clusters early and clear balls from around the balls you picked in my suggestion above.

Now I know there are a thousand ways to get out but here is a layout with the balls numbered in the order I see a way to clear the table.

In this example a temptation to shoot a problem ball (10) using a combo on the 1 seems obvious at some point in the rack, but the 10 makes a great setup ball to the key ball.

Seeing things like this help me anyway. Thinking backwards is the key. I see the keyball (11) and the 10 to get to it, now I look for a way to get to the ten, and backwards from there. ... :)

CueTable Help

Last edited:

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3andstop.

Thanks. This is very helpful and I will set it up and work with it first chance I get which will be tonight.

Life around here gets very hectic on my wife's card club day.

Dave Nelson

BigRigTom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave, try identifying not only the break ball and key ball, but also the ball before the key ball and the ball to get on the ball before the key ball.

Fix small clusters early and clear balls from around the balls you picked in my suggestion above.

Now I know there are a thousand ways to get out but here is a layout with the balls numbered in the order I see a way to clear the table.

In this example a temptation to shoot a problem ball (10) using a combo on the 1 seems obvious at some point in the rack, but the 10 makes a great setup ball to the key ball.

Seeing things like this help me anyway. Thinking backwards is the key. I see the keyball (11) and the 10 to get to it, now I look for a way to get to the ten, and backwards from there. ... :)

CueTable Help

This is good advice and it is easy for me to follow your logic in this spread out table of balls .....but... my problems usually come from a much more congested table when being just a few inches out of position can turn an other wise easy out into an impossible problem solving maze.

I really like running Blackjacks 9 ball and 15 ball drills.

I have not solved my problem yet but those drills have helped me in ways unimaginable to me just a few short weeks ago.

I played APA 8 ball Monday night on a tight 7' Diamond table and managed to smoke an APA 7 who usually smokes me...... It felt GREAT!:cool:

Thanks Blackjack for that one!:cool:

Last edited:

Apocalypse2017

Welcome to the resistance
Silver Member

got thru the first rack and was left with this break ball. Made the 1ball and got stuck in the stack:mad:

CueTable Help

just missed a combo by a c hair:banghead:

BigRigTom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That has been too often my experience when I break from the bottom of the rack.

In your situation I believe you wanted to hit the 10 ball full or on the left and let the cue ball come away from the rack.

If you have the correct angle it is better to hit the left side of the 10 and get the cue ball out and to the side rail then up toward the middle....Blackjack calls it "Clean in and Clean out!" with the cue ball...........and that is where I get in trouble......

I start thinking about how I need to EXACTLY control whitey and wind up missing the break shot completely!:mad:

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
That has been too often my experience when I break from the bottom of the rack.

In your situation I believe you wanted to hit the 10 ball full or on the left and let the cue ball come away from the rack.

If you have the correct angle it is better to hit the left side of the 10 and get the cue ball out and to the side rail then up toward the middle....Blackjack calls it "Clean in and Clean out!" with the cue ball...........and that is where I get in trouble......

I start thinking about how I need to EXACTLY control whitey and wind up missing the break shot completely!:mad:

Tom

In Ralf Souquet's 92 ball run, I explain how Ralf

a) examines the break ball and the object ball

b) determines what needs to be done with the cue ball

c) finds the contact point to pocket the break ball - and then lines up the cue ball with the contact point

Go back and watch how Ralf does that - watch it in slow motion and then learn how to incorporate that method into your game.

You can learn a lot by watching what Ralf does.

Apocalypse2017

Silver Member
Tom

In Ralf Souquet's 92 ball run, I explain how Ralf

a) examines the break ball and the object ball

b) determines what needs to be done with the cue ball

c) finds the contact point to pocket the break ball - and then lines up the cue ball with the contact point

Go back and watch how Ralf does that - watch it in slow motion and then learn how to incorporate that method into your game.

You can learn a lot by watching what Ralf does.

I've watched this video at least 3 times and you did a great job on the commentary. I like the fact that he missed the break ball twice in the beginning...I know he is still human. Alot of great straight pool in this video, the pros make it look sooo easy.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
I've watched this video at least 3 times and you did a great job on the commentary. I like the fact that he missed the break ball twice in the beginning...I know he is still human. Alot of great straight pool in this video, the pros make it look sooo easy.

Thanks - I have many more videos just like that one already completed. The problem is that it is time consuming to split them up into 10 minute segments and post them to youtube. When I get the chance, I will try to get some more uploaded - I am also going to upload Niels 130 and 116 - I have those uploaded to Veoh - but I gave up on that site a long time ago - so I will re-upload them to youtube.

There is much more coming out of the 14.1 factory - I'll keep you posted!

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
I signed up in the straight pool league, because it was the only game that required counting in public. It is difficult because at the end of the rack certain numbers have to add up; at first I could not understand why. Every opponent I had would always correct me as to what the numbers are suppose to add up with the explanation of a phd in math (usually people who have not studied English seriously).

The worst was if I scratched on the first break and some magic process takes place where my score counter is reversed to numbers before 0. Most of the time I think my opponents were miscounting and cheating me (especially if I scratched, it was difficult for me to count properly and not be angry for scratching at the same time). I just focused on enjoying my time at the table instead of how much I need to get back in the game.

Last edited:

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played today. It was a mixed bag. I beat Half-Fast Larry 100 to 94 at straight. I was shooting well, for me. I had a 10 ball run in the first rack and a 13 in the 4th. I missed some incredibly easy shots and took some risks that didn't pay off. Kind of run of the mill game.

But then we played our usual race to 5 for 5 8 ball and Larry annihilated me 5 to 1.

But we played, and any day that you play is a good day.

If you can't enjoy the game, even when you lose, don't play. Not just pool, any game.

I'm talking about amateurs of course. I don't know if the pros really enjoy playing or not.

Dave Nelson

unknownpro

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Didn't get to play again till yesterday. Ran a 42 and scratched off a side pocket break shot. I was shooting across to the opposite side from a little above and caught the sides of the first and second balls I think and went straight in the corner with a medium speed hit.

Apocalypse2017

Silver Member

Haven't play pool in days...got the swine flu after drinking for two days in a row. banged in the last two days of work and now I'm back. Will try to play some straight pool tonight:smile:

unknownpro

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't play all last week. Ran a 43 monday. Today I had runs of 20, 20, 27, 21, 20, 27, and 50 on my sub 4" pockets and 10 year old 860 simoniz.

Apocalypse2017

Silver Member
had two 15's last night:mad: Just can't get the right angle on my break ball. Need to work on setting up my key ball tonight. Wish me luck :wink:

unknownpro

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saturday I ran 20, 28 33, 32, 22, 27, 23, and 28

Sunday I ran a 23 and got interrupted.

Today I ran a 28 and a 29...