Whos the best playing instructor?

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Ok I played on an ACS team last year to qualify for state. Bar tables though. You guys are on 9 footers right? Our team didn't do too well but I managed to get 9th in the 9 ball. This year's state champ team is from Joliet. Some of my friends are on that team.

Yep, 9 footers..... I'll send you a pm about the league if you can play this session or have to wait till the next one starts.... it's a great league...

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I knew the bar action would be easy, Bobby Leggs, Vernon Elliot and Jerry Brock

I once ran 26 racks on a shimmed up 9 footer for 500 a game, and the alarm clock went off and woke me up! Maybe your alarm clock is not as good as mine!

Tell them about the time you gave Mike Bandy the 7 ball. :wink:

TheThaiger

Banned
Where is Neil? I'd play cuz I'm starving for a game here. I've never run 12 consecutive racks but I've slayed some giants.

I've seen world class players who've never looked even remotely likely to run 12 consecutive racks. Against the ghost, of course, but straight 12 packs are very, very rare.

Still, if a room full of monkeys can bash away on typewriters and produce the full works of Shakespeare, anything's possible given enough time.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would bet he was a scratch golfer at one time in his life.

HE was a 1 or 2 handicapper when he was 17 so im sure he got to scratch. All the Harmons could play. My brother got the best of Butch in the juniors though. Billy Harmon got the best of me and he was 2-3 yrs younger.

Last edited:

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Mike Bandy doesn't play much anymore but I'd like a big side bet on him if someone was to offer him the 7 ball! Also, only a fool would give him a spot in a golf game too. I'm pretty sure is a real low handicapper if not scratch. Damn guy is good at everything.

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike Bandy doesn't play much anymore but I'd like a big side bet on him if someone was to offer him the 7 ball! Also, only a fool would give him a spot in a golf game too. I'm pretty sure is a real low handicapper if not scratch. Damn guy is good at everything.

I have noticed the majority of good pool players do anything they get into better than most. Some even claim its because of their low iq's. I know better!

Runnintable

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Forgot one

Basball managers without any major league experience:

Joe Maddon
Jack McKeon
Cal RIpken, Sr.
Jim Leyland
Jim Rigglemen

Earl Weaver - Baseball HOF
Joe McCarthy - Baseball HOF

There are MANY more but here are some of the more prominent ones....

Tony La Russa
I don't think he even played period.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bobby Leggs has put some "packages" together in his time

Mike Bandy and Bobby Leggs? Mercy.

Bobby Leggs has put some "packages" together in his time. I went there to play him many years ago, but something went wrong and we didn't play.

He was a great offensive player though, that's for sure on that bar table.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Bobby Leggs has put some "packages" together in his time. I went there to play him many years ago, but something went wrong and we didn't play.

He was a great offensive player though, that's for sure on that bar table.

Bobby Leggs LOVED to spin the rock, probably more than any other player I have ever played. He was deadly on the bar box which is the only place I played him.

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool playing is a competitive sport and part of teaching beyond basic instruction includes learning how to compete. It would be helpful to know how well one’s instructor competes and how well they match up against other instructors.

There is no formal definition of a pool instructor. The BCA has a program but not all instructors respect the BCA for any of several reasons. Some people are simply not willing to put in the time, effort or money required to be a BCA certified instructor. There should be allowance for anyone who thinks he is an instructor to compete. The following definition is generous and allows anyone who can prove they are a committed instructor to get involved.

An instructor is anyone who has been paid to teach at least 20 different students for at least 100 hours in the past year. There must be at least 50 teaching sessions.

It is up to the applicant to submit the necessary paper work (appropriately witnessed) to a tournament committee. Anyone who chooses to submit the appropriate materials and is evaluated by the committee as meeting the given requirements is admitted to the tournament. If you think you are among the top playing instructors you are encouraged to apply.

Undoubtedly there will be instructors who no longer want to compete as they are well past their prime. Ray Martin comes to mind, though I would surely love to see him play. The results of the tournament would be applicable to those who are willing to mix it up so their students can see what they are capable of doing.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Tony La Russa
I don't think he even played period.

Yeah, he played, even made it to the bigs. Career avg at .199, but even though it sucked.... he was good enough to get the call. So, he did have the skills to get there, just not the skills to perform well at that level, but became one of the best managers of all time... who would have thunk it... not bad for a vegetarian :)

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Pool playing is a competitive sport and part of teaching beyond basic instruction includes learning how to compete. It would be helpful to know how well one’s instructor competes and how well they match up against other instructors.

There is no formal definition of a pool instructor. The BCA has a program but not all instructors respect the BCA for any of several reasons. Some people are simply not willing to put in the time, effort or money required to be a BCA certified instructor. There should be allowance for anyone who thinks he is an instructor to compete. The following definition is generous and allows anyone who can prove they are a committed instructor to get involved.

An instructor is anyone who has been paid to teach at least 20 different students for at least 100 hours in the past year. There must be at least 50 teaching sessions.

It is up to the applicant to submit the necessary paper work (appropriately witnessed) to a tournament committee. Anyone who chooses to submit the appropriate materials and is evaluated by the committee as meeting the given requirements is admitted to the tournament. If you think you are among the top playing instructors you are encouraged to apply.

Undoubtedly there will be instructors who no longer want to compete as they are well past their prime. Ray Martin comes to mind, though I would surely love to see him play. The results of the tournament would be applicable to those who are willing to mix it up so their students can see what they are capable of doing.

Nice criteria for sure, but would you mind defining "appropriate materials" a bit? Also, as I mentioned, there would be only a handfull of "instructors" who would risk $1,000 in a tournament, maybe even less than that.

Your number of hours would weed out several instructors. Also, how much money does the instructor have to charge to qualify as a bona fide instructor?

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice criteria for sure, but would you mind defining "appropriate materials" a bit? Also, as I mentioned, there would be only a handfull of "instructors" who would risk $1,000 in a tournament, maybe even less than that.

Your number of hours would weed out several instructors. Also, how much money does the instructor have to charge to qualify as a bona fide instructor?

I intentionally left those terms undefined and thought the "committee" would probably do a better job. In my thinking the definitions should be minimal.

Appropriate materials could be signed, witnessed, letters from students, credit card receipts or any of various definitions that would in some way allow the person to reasonably demonstrate that they had provided services.

Perhaps a $500.00 fee would be more acceptable. I think it should be high enough to screen out those who are not serious about their teaching, but low enough to encourage participation. If you are serious about teaching the potential "bragging" rights then $500.00 is not too much especially when x percent of the field gets paid. Then too, some of the rooms and others might sponsor an instructor.

I would think that some minimal fee should be charged by a "real" instructor, perhaps $25.00 per hour would be a minimum that indicated a student was serious about the instruction received.

I think the teaching minimums are indeed minimums for people who are serious about teaching. One hundred hours teaching in one year is only about two hours per week or distributed in some other way such as over weekends.

Anyway it all just a place to start.

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member

Joe:

After having said, "There is no formal definition of a pool instructor" you go on to say, "An instructor is anyone who has been paid to teach at least 20 different students for at least 100 hours in the past year. There must be at least 50 teaching sessions."

That sounds like a definition to me. Who came up with that? You? Are you an instructor, either by your own definition, or by certification from another party? If not, what qualifies you to be defining instructors? And before you go thinking I'm lashing out because of jealously - even though I WOULD be jealous of anybody who can get at least 20 different students each year - be advised that the real purpose of my question is to point out that there is no difference between others trying to identify the quality of instructors by identifying how well they play; and you trying to define them by the quantity of their lessons. Neither works.

Roger

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What an event this would be........

I intentionally left those terms undefined and thought the "committee" would probably do a better job. In my thinking the definitions should be minimal.

Appropriate materials could be signed, witnessed, letters from students, credit card receipts or any of various definitions that would in some way allow the person to reasonably demonstrate that they had provided services.

Perhaps a $500.00 fee would be more acceptable. I think it should be high enough to screen out those who are not serious about their teaching, but low enough to encourage participation. If you are serious about teaching the potential "bragging" rights then $500.00 is not too much especially when x percent of the field gets paid. Then too, some of the rooms and others might sponsor an instructor.

I would think that some minimal fee should be charged by a "real" instructor, perhaps $25.00 per hour would be a minimum that indicated a student was serious about the instruction received.

I think the teaching minimums are indeed minimums for people who are serious about teaching. One hundred hours teaching in one year is only about two hours per week or distributed in some other way such as over weekends.

This could be on of the great events of the year. Even one that could be streamed world Wide. And i know just the guy to do it. Big truck , Ray Hansen.

And Joe, your format makes allot of sense.

Just the thought of having all these teachers that are helping so many players all over the world in one place at the same time would be a happening.

It would be a chance to give recognition to all these warriors out there that are silently building our pool world one player, one lesson at a time.

Being on the road I run into one of these great teachers here and there.

WOW. All of them there at the same time. Now that would be something.

All great things that happen start with an idea. I'm sure there is someone in our pool world that could put this together and make it happen.

Count me in on whatever it takes to help.

I think it would be great for the image of pool.

Each of these teachers could easily be responsible for 1000's of students knowledge of the game.

Like CJ says. The game is the teacher but it sure is nice to have all these instructors running around helping the game teach.:groucho::rolleyes:

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joe:

After having said, "There is no formal definition of a pool instructor" you go on to say, "An instructor is anyone who has been paid to teach at least 20 different students for at least 100 hours in the past year. There must be at least 50 teaching sessions."

That sounds like a definition to me. Who came up with that? You? Are you an instructor, either by your own definition, or by certification from another party? If not, what qualifies you to be defining instructors? And before you go thinking I'm lashing out because of jealously - even though I WOULD be jealous of anybody who can get at least 20 different students each year - be advised that the real purpose of my question is to point out that there is no difference between others trying to identify the quality of instructors by identifying how well they play; and you trying to define them by the quantity of their lessons. Neither works.

Roger

Don't worry Roger, according to some thinking on here, if you post at least once a week on here, you have at least 10,000 students per week!

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm sure everyone will agree

That sounds reasonable, I'm sure everyone will agree. :wink:

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
I wonder why Dr. Dave wasn't mentioned for this thread? Isn't he some kind of instructor/teacher/guru?

Eric

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Roger

Because there is no commonly accepted definition I suggested a place to start that is similar to how we would proceed in professional and academic circles. It may or may not be of use.

With regard to qualifications, in academia we also have a hierarchy of teachers that includes""Instructor," "Assistant Professor," "Associate Professor," and "Full Professor (or Professor)." I am a retired Distinguished Professor of Research and past president of the local "Professional" Psychological Association. My tentative definition is similar to what we would begin with in academia and in the professions. It may or may not be the best definition for "Pool Instructor." Aside from academic qualifications it is a place to start. I do have substantial experience in attempting to arrive at definitions that lead to promotion, tenure, and the consequences that are implied for careers and hundreds of thousands of dollars in grant moneys and salaries.

If you do not think this definition is acceptable, you could suggest what needs to be modified to further the discussion and arrive at a definition that would be reasonably acceptable to many of the people with an interest in this matter.

PS I do not consider myself a "pool instructor" and so have no ax to grind.

Last edited: