Why 2 Shafts?

d.p

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't understand why people have two shafts... I have a 1x2 case and now I feel that I need another matching shaft for my cue.

Some people told me they have two identical shafts for when the first one is wearing down they switch to the other.

Another person(my father) said he had two different tips on the same kind of shaft.

Last person said that they had a standard shaft and a LD shaft.

I like the idea of having a back up shaft because I'm known to break cues and I think it'd be great to have a shaft being repaired and not having a cue down.

What do y'all think?

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First, I think you need to control that temper and not destroy cues.....it didn't do anything to you and you should respect your investments.

I have three shafts with my Tascarella. I like different ones for different games. They are all unique in how they feel and hit. I use one for 8/9 ball because it seems to spin the cue ball better than the others and I have one that I like for one pocket because it feels stiffer. One is for back up and is mainly not used and is a back up to either of the other two.

I would say a second shaft is a good investment. If you have a tip come off of your main shaft, you just switch to the back up and roll on. You can have your main playing shaft getting tipped and never have any down time. Another idea is to have two shafts with different tapers for different games. Just an option.

Personally, I like to spend time with each shaft and decide which one feels the best and use it as my main. Wood is wood and has a great variation from piece to piece. Sometimes, one shaft just feels better than another.......

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't understand why people have two shafts... I have a 1x2 case and now I feel that I need another matching shaft for my cue.

Some people told me they have two identical shafts for when the first one is wearing down they switch to the other.

Another person(my father) said he had two different tips on the same kind of shaft.

I like the idea of having a back up shaft because I'm known to break cues and I think it'd be great to have a shaft being repaired and not having a cue down.

What do y'all think?

:shakehead:

No two shafts are ever identical. You will always like one better than the other.:yes:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

What do y'all think?

It's for us really BIG money players. If your tip pops off in the middle of a big money match, you can screw the second shaft on and proceed to protect your investment. You only need the 2nd shaft if you play for really big money, which almost everybody here on AZ does.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's for us really BIG money players. If your tip pops off in the middle of a big money match, you can screw the second shaft on and proceed to protect your investment. You only need the 2nd shaft if you play for really big money, which almost everybody here on AZ does.

:clapping:

I love this!

:love:

:poke:

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Green to you.:thumbup:

LuckyStroke

Full Splic Addict
Silver Member
My main playing shaft has a moori m tip on it, and my second shaft has a ki-tech m on it. My second shaft (at the moment) is for trying different tips until I find that "magic" one. After that it will be a back up. I intend to play with both shafts equally to minimize wear.

I mean it's for big money games…yeah, that's it. Big money, and grand or more per rack :D

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My main playing shaft has a moori m tip on it, and my second shaft has a ki-tech m on it. My second shaft (at the moment) is for trying different tips until I find that "magic" one. After that it will be a back up. I intend to play with both shafts equally to minimize wear.

I mean it's for big money games…yeah, that's it. Big money, and grand or more per rack :D

:scratchhead:

How many years does it take to wear out a shaft?:grin:

tc in l a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What do y'all think?
Everyone almost expects two shafts when they buy a cue, even used, so having the second one makes it easier to sell the cue when you start to get the "I need to sell this and get more cues" disease.

thefonz

It's not me...it's my ADD
Silver Member
I play with both shafts I own.
one has a flatter and slightly larger diameter tip than the other. The flat tip one is for 8 ball. The smaller rounded tip is for rotation games.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Each of the cues I play with regularly has a 13mm that came with the cue and a second LD shaft around 12 or 12.5mm. The smaller diameter gets by far the most use. There are times for whatever reason that the 13mm, which is a also full half ounce heavier, just feels better on a given table/cloth/game/moon phase/pollen count/etc.

And yes, as a bonus you are covered in the event of a tip issue or whatever else. Someone joked about an extra butt. Actually, my playing cue and break cue are identical joints so it could be swapped into play.

Zkid09

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been playing on and off for about 8 years. More off than on but have played seriously for the last year.

My opinion on two shafts is it's nice to have in case one breaks or one needs some work. Tip replacement, Cleaning, whatever it may be. This way, you can keep playing with your cue while the other is being worked on.

I actually had to play with a house stick for a week because I only had one cue and I had to drop it off to get a tip put on. Sucked swapping sticks every day.

Also, playing for money, league, tournament, etc, it's always nice having an extra shaft in case your tip does come off or something happens so you don't have to change cues mid game.

I only have one shaft for my cue right now but I'll be getting another. Kinda like cheap insurance for playing pool lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member

That happens to me I just screw a new tip onto my Old Milwaukee Beer commemorative playing cue.

rtbbf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
shaft

I got four for one cue......yes four Richard Blacks, length is the difference....

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've yet to get a custom cue with a matched pair of shafts, but my next cue will be coming that way. For me it will be one playing shaft and one backup that will likely go unused unless the first shaft is in for repair.

For now I have two playing cues with single shafts. So I have a backup in that I can just switch to my other cue. They don't play drastically different but I'm sure it would take a brief period to adapt to the switch since weights and balance post are not identical. thankfully I'm a long way from playing big money games, so no worries there.

osama

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 29" and 30" LD shafts and both use tiger soft. Both have the exact same weight so they don't affect my playing performance.

The 30" is my favorite and I play with most of the time. The 29" is my backup and I also use it in tight spaces or when playing on 7ft tables. My cue care shop is 100 miles away and it will take days to replace or clean a tip, so the secondary shaft is always handy.

My breaking cue has the same joint as my playing cue. It uses a solid 29" shaft with Everest tip. This gives me a spare cue, butt and shaft. :grin-square: