Why are men better than women at billiards?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
So, are you trying to say that there are more Filipino men that play seriously than all of the women in the world that play seriously?
A higher percentage of Filipino men than the percentage of men in other countries is all that's needed to explain a higher percentage of Filipino men in the top ranks worldwide.

Or do you think Filipino men have some genetic advantage over other men?

pj
chgo

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or do you think Filipino men have some genetic advantage over other men?
It is the humid heat.

But realistically, during the formative teenage years, more guys are playing sports while more girls are playing the dating game. This takes them out of sports competitions in later years.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
It is the humid heat.

But realistically, during the formative teenage years, more guys are playing sports while more girls are playing the dating game. This takes them out of sports competitions in later years.
Yes, most great players start young, when girls are least likely to be into pool.

pj
chgo

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
More female pool players have fewer personal or mental or physical problems than the make pool players.

I can't recall how many females have broken a cue stick during a match.
That statistic alone puts them in an above average category than men.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
A higher percentage of Filipino men than the percentage of men in other countries is all that's needed to explain a higher percentage of Filipino men in the top ranks worldwide. Are you claiming Filipino men have some genetic advantage over other men?

pj
chgo

Of course it isn't a matter of the percentage of Filipino men playing. The raw numbers of Filipino men compared to the raw number of other men or women are where the percentages should then be calculated from if figuring percentages. It wouldn't matter if 1% or 100% of Filipino men played pool as long as the raw number of Filipino men playing pool stayed the same. Likewise the percentage of women playing pool isn't relevant.

The men from the Philippines are far overrepresented in the top ranks of pool as compared to men from other countries. For every pro from the Philippines there are dozens from other countries. Of course being overrepresented to compare to men they are vastly overrepresented compared to women since the number of women playing at the same level as the top half-dozen or so Filipino men is zero based on current records.

There are several reasons I suspect go a long ways to explain the Filipino excellence but Alex and Francisco certainly suggest that genetics could play a factor! At a guess I suspect the major factors in the success of Filipino players today are genuine hunger and poverty, desire, and seeing their heroes play pool. They see pool as a ticket out. Some other things too but these are enough reasons.

Pool offers smoky pool rooms, alcohol, drugs, unsavory characters to associate with and a very sketchy future. What's not to love for an American parent? If I had a child with huge physical talents I would send them towards a sport with good pay and long careers.

Hu
More female pool players have fewer personal or mental or physical problems than the make pool players.

I can't recall how many females have broken a cue stick during a match.
That statistic alone puts them in an above average category than men.

Funny but True!