Why aren't we using quick-release joints like these in pool cues?

MeeLosh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look at how awesome that fit looks, with that little vacuum and everything. Instils a lot more confidence than the regular uniloc qr, at first glance.
Is there a reason we are not using these (or similar) in pool cues?
(video should start at 38s)

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
The biggest problem with it is that it is a brass to brass joint. It will deaden the feel of the cue. wood to wood joints provide the best feel and feedback for a cue.

Jaden

theyonger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What’s so hard about screwing a cue together?
Takes me 0.5 seconds to hit the cue ball. If quick release saves me 0.5 seconds per cue, that's like 4 extra balls I could be hitting a session instead of twisting my stick repeatedly like some goober. Over a year that's like 1460 extra balls hit, minimum!

If you're not using QR it means you're bad.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I own a late 90s Dale Perry cue with a similar unblock joint- works great! On of the best hitting cues I ever owned.You push the cue shaft over the steel rod on the butt and then screw it down about 3 full turns - very tight and secure. To release, you make three turns in reverse and just pull off the shaft.

xX-Wizard-Xx

Takes me 0.5 seconds to hit the cue ball. If quick release saves me 0.5 seconds per cue, that's like 4 extra balls I could be hitting a session instead of twisting my stick repeatedly like some goober. Over a year that's like 1460 extra balls hit, minimum!

If you're not using QR it means you're bad.
what? lmao

this guy must be a robot .... no mistakes ... no time to screw a cue together ... awfully goofy lmao

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Lucasi has Unilock u in t is similar. Problem is dirt, dust, and moisture is not fun.
I have a snooker cue with this type of joint and there is no problem at all with the fit or anything else. I've not had any major trouble with my uni-lock pool cues either. Dirt and moisture do not factor in. I've had it for years and years. If there is a problem it's that it's brass. Brass is somewhat heavy, so that has to be calculated into the balance and weight equation. For a snooker cue, there is little problem with this, as most snooker cues are too light to begin with and need to be weighted. That is for the most part true of pool cues as well, unless they'have a sh.. ton of ebony or similar. Traditionally pool cue makers have been much more "free" to choose materials for their joints and using the joint screw to tweak the balance. In a snooker cue, the joint is traditionally placed closer to the balance point (3/4 joint), so the weight of the joint system is less critical.

Last edited:

dnschmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the German pros (I believe Ralph Eckart) used a quarter turn joint. Instead of having a break cue he had a break shaft which he would put on and take off. Seemed to work fine.

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
I screw my 5/16 x 14 shaft on, play pool for a while, then unscrew it, put stuff my away and go home.
In a 2 hour session, a QR joint would save me maybe 15 seconds of my life.
I can live with that.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
make your floor at home with the pool table super slick. this way you can slide around the table and get in an extra 50 shots a day.

as an added bonus you wont wear out your special billiard shoes so fast.

MeeLosh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe this thread may have taken a wrong turn.
The point is not whether or not we need to use quick-release joints or not. Those are here to stay, some will like them, some won't.

The thread is about qr joints that have the characteristics similar to the one in the original post, where there is even some vacuum with the tolerances being so tight and everything seems to go so smooth and the connection seems to be nice and tight.

Big Dave

Pool Hack!!!
Silver Member
It seems from the video that you would end up with a little compressed air inside the joint while playing - probably not a problem, but I'm not sure I would guarantee it...Would you?

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It seems from the video that you would end up with a little compressed air inside the joint while playing - probably not a problem, but I'm not sure I would guarantee it...Would you?
That compressed air pocket is definitely going to change the feel of the hit.