Why CTE/Pro One Works

JMW

Seen Your Member
Silver Member
I was thinking about how Pro One works as a visual system and it occurred to me to think backwards from the shot.

Question: What would happen if you we're down on any shot, aimed correctly (compensated for throw) and ready to shoot, but then you reversed your motion and stood back up in a Pro One reverse sweep motion to ball address (fixed cue ball)?

Answer: You would see the visuals of a CTE line and/or the cue ball edge aligned with one of the object ball aim points: 1/8, A, B, C or 7/8 overlap. Which ever aim point would depend on the shot you were making. Lucky for us, there are only a few aim points needed for all shots.

Now reverse again. If you start with the correct visuals at fixed cue ball, and sweep to CCB, you will make the ball. The hard part is establishing the correct visual perspective and sweep needed to make the shot. No real mystery, just visual calibration to fixed points during the execution of a sequence of motions.

In other words, take any center pocket shot on the table and reverse your motion using one of two Pro One sweeps and you will be at fixed cue ball where you can see visuals; CTE and one of three aim points or one of two aim points and no CTE visual. So it stands to reason that if you begin with the correct visuals and use the correct sweep to CCB, you will pocket the ball. If you know the system, think about it in reverse.

Now here is a real mystery...
http://youtu.be/6Q4_nl0ICao

Last edited:

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very good.

When shooting a gun the eye, the back sight and the front sight always stay the same.

The only thing that changes is the target.

With a pool shot. The pockets stays the same, the OB stays the same and the cue ball.

The only thing that changes is you. You and your eyes become the target.

It is in reverse.

Any aiming system that works will get your head and eyes in that correct position so you can visially see the shot correctly and give the brain the right info.

You hit the nail right on the head.........

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was thinking about how Pro One works as a visual system and it occurred to me to think backwards from the shot.

Question: What would happen if you we're down on any shot, aimed correctly (compensated for throw) and ready to shoot, but then you reversed your motion and stood back up in a Pro One reverse sweep motion to ball address (fixed cue ball)?

Answer: You would see the visuals of a CTE line and/or the cue ball edge aligned with one of the object ball aim points: 1/8, A, B, C or 7/8 overlap. Which ever aim point would depend on the shot you were making. Lucky for us, there are only a few aim points needed for all shots.

Now reverse again. If you start with the correct visuals at fixed cue ball, and sweep to CCB, you will make the ball. The hard part is establishing the correct visual perspective and sweep needed to make the shot. No real mystery, just visual calibration to fixed points during the execution of a sequence of motions.

In other words, take any center pocket shot on the table and reverse your motion using one of two Pro One sweeps and you will be at fixed cue ball where you can see visuals; CTE and one of three aim points or one of two aim points and no CTE visual. So it stands to reason that if you begin with the correct visuals and use the correct sweep to CCB, you will pocket the ball. If you know the system, think about it in reverse.

But first you will need to know where to aim...use the "Arrow"?

thebear7

Registered

That is a great idea JMW I will do it tomorrow and see what happens. I belive this could be a great help to understand and pick the correct visuals also the sweeps.

Thanks JMW

Eduardo.

Jal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This will come off as a bit of a snide remark, but the real mystery (and perhaps even more mysterious than the reality behind quantum mechanics), is how anyone can believe what you just said? The aim points along with the left/right sweeps define ten different alignments, assuming you're consistent with how you orient the cue for each of the ten aim point/sweep combinations. This is supposed to cover the full range of cut angles from zero to ninety degrees. Thus, on average, say, each alignment has to take care of nine degrees worth of cuts. (If you insist the practical range is something like 70 degrees, then seven degrees.)

Missing the cut angle by not much more than two degrees is going to result in a missed shot, generally speaking. Therefore, adjustments are required. How do you think they enter into the picture?

Jim

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This will come off as a bit of a snide remark, but the real mystery (and perhaps even more mysterious than the reality behind quantum mechanics), is how anyone can believe what you just said? The aim points along with the left/right sweeps define ten different alignments, assuming you're consistent with how you orient the cue for each of the ten aim point/sweep combinations. This is supposed to cover the full range of cut angles from zero to ninety degrees. Thus, on average, say, each alignment has to take care of nine degrees worth of cuts. (If you insist the practical range is something like 70 degrees, then seven degrees.)

Missing the cut angle by not much more than two degrees is going to result in a missed shot, generally speaking. Therefore, adjustments are required. How do you think they enter into the picture?

Jim
You don't fully understand Pro-One. Their are no adjustments and you can't define cte as having ten different alignments. This is a typical argument from a READER on AZ, those that take info to the table and work on it know better.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cookie man, I can and did. :p

Let's see you undo it.

Jim

Your theory is based on a false assumption, that is, that the edge is the same actual point on the ob regardless of the position of the cb. It's not.

Jal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your theory is based on a false assumption, that is, that the edge is the same actual point on the ob regardless of the position of the cb. It's not.
Neil, could you explain what you mean by this, with perhaps a couple of examples?

Jim

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Neil, could you explain what you mean by this, with perhaps a couple of examples?

Jim

Everytime you move the cb, even 1/16", your visuals are now picking up a slightly different part of the ob as the edge and as your second visual, thereby changing the angle.

Jal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't undo what you did because you didn't even know what you were doing when you did it.
Cookie man, someday you may present an argument consisting of more than "you don't know what you're talking about." Please - I'm begging you - warn us! Our systems can withstand only so much shock.

Jim

Jal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everytime you move the cb, even 1/16", your visuals are now picking up a slightly different part of the ob as the edge and as your second visual, thereby changing the angle.
Okay, thanks. If you would, do you disagree with any of the following statements.

Regardless of where the CB and OB are located on the table, and ignoring throw:

1. If you send the center of the CB at the center of the OB, the cut angle will be 0-degrees.

2. If you send the center of the CB at the edge of the OB, the cut angle will be 30-degrees.

3. If you send the edge of the CB at the inside quarter of the OB (Stan's point A on a left cut), the cut angle is that for a three-quarter ball hit (numerically 14.5-degrees, but of course the number isn't important).

4. If you send the edge of the CB at the center of the OB ((Stan's point B), the cut angle will be 30-degrees.

5. In all of the above, varying the locations of the balls will generally send the OB down a different path on the table, but the cut angle will remain the same.

6. If you keep the distance between the two balls fixed while moving them together at various locations on the table, then in the four examples above, not only will the cut angle remain the same, but the direction of the OB after impact with respect to their pre-impact line of centers (the line from the center of the CB to the center of the OB) will also remain the same. In other words, the angle formed by the direction of the OB after impact and the line of centers will be the same, regardless of where the balls are on the table (for some fixed separation).

If you're insulted by any of these, I'm going back to basics in an attempt to find out where the disagreement might lie. Note that I'm not saying that any of the above describe CTE/Pro 1.

Jim

Last edited:

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay, thanks. If you would, do you disagree with any of the following statements.

1. If you send the center of the CB at the center of the OB, the cut angle will be 0-degrees.

2. If you send the center of the CB at the edge of the OB, the cut angle will be 30-degrees.

3. If you send the edge of the CB at the inside quarter of the OB (Stan's point A on a left cut), the cut angle is that for a three-quarter ball hit (numerically 14.5-degrees, but of course the number isn't important).

4. If you send the edge of the CB at the center of the OB ((Stan's point B), the cut angle will be 30-degrees.

5. In all of the above, varying the locations of the balls will generally send the OB down a different path on the table, but the cut angle will remain the same.

6. If you keep the distance between the two balls fixed while moving them together at various locations on the table, then in the four examples above, not only will the cut angle remain the same, but the direction of the OB after impact with respect to their pre-impact line of centers (the line from the center of the CB to the center of the OB) will also remain the same. In other words, the angle formed by the direction of the OB after impact and the line of centers will be the same, regardless of where the balls are on the table (for some fixed separation).

If you're insulted by any of these, I'm going back to basics in an attempt to find out where the disagreement might lie. Note that I'm not saying that any of the above describe CTE/Pro 1.

Jim

With all due respect your points basically have nothing to do with what I teach other than DO NOT do the above... CTE PRO ONE is beyond the scope of what you wrote and on a completely different plane. (I am rather surprised that you think those points might represent what I teach.)

Stan Shuffett

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
With all due respect your points basically have nothing to do with what I teach other than DO NOT do the above... CTE PRO ONE is beyond the scope of what you wrote and on a completely different plane. (I am rather surprised that you think those points might represent what I teach.)

Stan Shuffett
I dont think he's saying that is what you teach.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jim

Go back to basics. You have very little, if any, understanding of cte.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jim

A geometrically correct post for those that understand geometry.:wink: