Why do some folks not wanna be known on here?

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me it a privacy issue. I'm retired from law enforcement but unfortunately some events that happened in my career make me very googleable.

Some of you may have seen me though. I've been on Court TV, Forensic Files, Snapped and CNN.

No one has to worry about me talking shit to anyone on here.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
no upside

There's no upside to identifying yourself, unless you plan to make money or cause someone to lose money or face. I'm not planning to do either.

My previous posts may identify who I am. I have bought from people on this forum and they know who I am and how to contact me. I trust all those I have conversed with.

At the time of this post, there are 212 computers watching what is written, 30 of them are Members. 182 of them may or may not be Members. It's in that nearly 86% that I lack trust.

I use the same user name in more than one forum. Now that you know that, if you go looking for me in other forums, you may be the kind of person I am trying to avoid.

I know my statements sound somewhat pretentious. I assure you, I'm aged, humble and country. I've had my mouth busted because I "shot it off" and it shows! Discretion is a good thing, for me. :)

kevoka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is some irony in this question on a pool forum. The history of pool is littered with nom de plumes.

As for me - I know how the internet works and how it can be used against you in all manner of ways that have absolutely nothing to do with pool.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I guess I could ask the same question:

Why do some folks never wanna put pictures up here?

Is it because they don't really have any cues?

Is is because they really don't play this game?

Why, why???

JC, there are a ton of questions here, that we do not necessarily have the answers to.

All the best,
WW

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess I could ask the same question:

Why do some folks never wanna put pictures up here?

Is it because they don't really have any cues?

Is is because they really don't play this game?

Why, why???

JC, there are a ton of questions here, that we do not necessarily have the answers to.

All the best,
WW

I may not be cut out for the internet lifestyle... I dunno.

I've been a member here for a couple three years or so and I still find myself "adjusting".

Some of you folks were lucky enough to see the end (I know it sucked) of the old-style pool rooms.

On the other hand, I put my cues down and didn't even walk by a table or pick a cue up from (memory sucks) 1990ish thru 2016ish...... right before joining this forum.

I remember, a couple years ago..... I went to what was my old room....lol.... I didn't know it had been closed for almost 15 years. I had no idea.

On top of that, there was only "1" room still open that I had EVER been to.

I was literally a stranger to every room in the "world" minus that one room. That one room was still open but it was a card room with pool tables....so, it was all but closed to.

In my mind, pool is still the "balls out....come get some" game it use to be.

Sure, i know there are still people that'll play anyone but, I'm talking about back when an "average" shortstop all the way down to a "B" level player would stand up when challenged.

I don't know how to put it.

Lol.... all I know is, I still love to play but, it sure would be nice to have "just a small slice" of the older days back in pool.

Maybe I shouldn't have started this thread.

Again, I dunno.

Jeff

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I've been a member here for a couple three years or so and I still find myself "adjusting".

Some of you folks were lucky enough to see the end (I know it sucked) of the old-style pool rooms.

On the other hand, I put my cues down and didn't even walk by a table or pick a cue up from (memory sucks) 1990ish thru 2016ish...... right before joining this forum.

I remember, a couple years ago..... I went to what was my old room....lol.... I didn't know it had been closed for almost 15 years. I had no idea.

I was literally a stranger to every room in the "world" minus that one room. That one room was still open but it was a card room with pool tables....so, it was all but closed to.

Sure, i know there are still people that'll play anyone but, I'm talking about back when an "average" shortstop all the way down to a "B" level player would stand up when challenged.

Lol.... all I know is, I still love to play but, it sure would be nice to have "just a small slice" of the older days back in pool.

Again, I dunno.

Jeff

as a newcomer to many pool facets, I don't pretend to know much, let alone play well,
but I really love the game and would honestly be quite happy to play folks better than me-
what a great way to admire good pool but up close, and also maybe even learn a bit?!
rake, I know you're a player, and seeing your other thread honestly had me drooling over the idea of playing a guy like you sets for cheap:grin-square:

like I said tho, I'm pretty new 'round here, and I know no place is perfect,
but I feel inspired now to collectively shout out the whole forum..
I don't know most of y'all but for all the great info., and the community,
I really do appreciate you all.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member

Again, I dunno.

Jeff

These are the good ol' days. Embrace them.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I don't post videos etc because I dont know how - not much upside to it anyway.

There's a few here who have seen me play, the question is always was that top speed or medium speed, some days they are the same thing. I play about once a month or less over the last 6 months, less than that over the last 3 years.

SBC on here has probably seen me play 5 or 6 times over the last 6 months - he was gonna have me play as an A player if I played in one of his tournaments, not sure if that's where he actually would rate me or more as a starter rating.
He is more than welcome to post his thoughts if he sees this(provided he knows its me).

I actually have some really nice cases from JH cue cases I'd like to post, but dont really care enough to actually figure it out. Lol
Jason

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
Can I borrow it for the weekend?

I'm trying to make a 4.....its hard damn work!

Of course just post your address in this thread as well as your social security number in your mother's maiden name. You can just leave your door unlocked and I will deliver it personally. And please leave out milk and cookies.

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
If you order this week on my pay website I'll throw in a copy of "It must be true - I heard it in a pool hall".

Kevin? Kevin Trudeau is that you? I'm looking for my credit card right now!

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I don't want people on here to know my name because:

1. I've interacted with a lot of different people on here, and not all of them have been pleasant. At least one I suspect as being mentally unstable and not someone I'd trust with even my first name.

2. I'm not here to really make friends, but more to talk about pool in a matter-of-fact way with people who share the passion.

3. I like the freedom to discuss various situations that occur without it being obvious to whom I refer. It gives the freedom to get an outside, unbiased perspective from those who react to the story, and to tell the story as it happened without worry that someone is going to get angry about it and of course to discuss the situation as a general type of situation, rather than a specific one. More interesting, I think.

4. There isn't really much of an upside to disclosing my name, but possibly a large downside, by people hassling me, looking up old posts, quoting out of context, or even posting lies with my full name, adress etc... People could make up all kinds of nonsense and post it, just because they got mad about some discussion we were having. I really wouldn't put it past certain people to do something like that. Even if it's a remote possibility, the risk simply isn't worth it.

5. I try to be responsible with my anonymity, to be truthful. The very fact that I am anonymous, means that there also isn't much of an incentive to make up accomplishments etc. I don't have to be defensive if I have a bad tournament, and I don't need to boast if I have a good one, because, being an anon means nobody cares. Also I can be upfront with stuff that might be embarrasing if people knew my name, like how many aiming systems I've tried:grin:.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't want people on here to know my name because:

1. I've interacted with a lot of different people on here, and not all of them have been pleasant. At least one I suspect as being mentally unstable and not someone I'd trust with even my first name.

2. I'm not here to really make friends, but more to talk about pool in a matter-of-fact way with people who share the passion.

3. I like the freedom to discuss various situations that occur without it being obvious to whom I refer. It gives the freedom to get an outside, unbiased perspective from those who react to the story, and to tell the story as it happened without worry that someone is going to get angry about it and of course to discuss the situation as a general type of situation, rather than a specific one. More interesting, I think.

4. There isn't really much of an upside to disclosing my name, but possibly a large downside, by people hassling me, looking up old posts, quoting out of context, or even posting lies with my full name, adress etc... People could make up all kinds of nonsense and post it, just because they got mad about some discussion we were having. I really wouldn't put it past certain people to do something like that. Even if it's a remote possibility, the risk simply isn't worth it.

5. I try to be responsible with my anonymity, to be truthful. The very fact that I am anonymous, means that there also isn't much of an incentive to make up accomplishments etc. I don't have to be defensive if I have a bad tournament, and I don't need to boast if I have a good one, because, being an anon means nobody cares. Also I can be upfront with stuff that might be embarrasing if people knew my name, like how many aiming systems I've tried:grin:.
Well said Straightpool

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some people do not possess the courage to attach their name to their expressed opinion.

And then there's the added benefit of anonymity allowing someone to sound knowledgeable when they are not.

Lou Figueroa

Reactions: JC