Why do Teachers insist on the Pendulum?

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I'd lay 4:1 on Massey arm wrestling any other pool player. (except maybe Hillbilly)

What is it about those dudes from Appalachia?

At least he thanked you first.
Before he realized its oyster's video.
Oyster is definitely not as strong as Tennessee Tarzan.

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
Bangers do and so do the professionals. People with pendulum strokes must have both that and a piston. I would love to see a pendulum stroke do a forced follow shot or high follow the cue ball down two long rails of a 9' table after hitting a ball. Can't wait to see it but haven't yet. If you can do that with a pendulum stroke where the cue hits the cloth a couple of inches after hitting the cue ball, please post a video. Thanks.

I tested your shot last night, the results were: object ball 3 diamonds up from the bottom rail and the cue ball 2 diamonds from the object ball I was able to force follow to the bottom rail, top rail and back to the object balls starting position. I was able to do this 4 out of 5 times. This was done on a gold crown 3 with dirty cloth and balls. When I go up to Lindenwood this weekend I will try it on a diamond table, I believe I can get more distance out of cue ball on a clean table.

I had a player that had no idea what I was doing watching for elbow drop and on the first shot he said my elbow dropped about a 1/2 inch.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tony...Massey's video has been broken down and discussed at length before. It just goes to show you that even some top pro players just don't know what they're talking about...even though they can demonstrate the shot. While I may disagree with some other things about The Oyster...he happens to be technically correct here. Elbow drop is a choice, rather than a necessity. Therefore...fewer moving parts (pendulum stroke) wins every time. Many of us also break with the same pendulum stroke. For me and my students, there is no more follow-through on a break, than there is on a lag...no less either! :eek:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dennis...I know for a fact that your "instructor" (according to you, the "world's Best Instructor") is not filling your head with this nonsense...so where are you getting it from? :confused: Pool is not about strength or power...it's about cue speed and timing...which are more accurate and more easily accomplished with a loose cradle on the cuestick. The fact that we can easily demonstrate force follow or power draw with a pendulum stroke cannot be confused or discounted. In the end it's the choice of the shooter. Piston is not "superior" to pendulum. Pendulum is just easier to reproduce, get the timing right, and develop an accurate and repeatable stroke process...especially under the pressure of competition.

Scott Lee

Got to be a body builder and take the cue back where your arm is almost straight. .001% of us can do what he does.... and it is not forced follow with a pendulum stroke.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I watched Eddie Taylor for quite a few years. He played pretty good, you know.
Since I don't know the difference between pendulum and piston in stroking a cue ball, maybe someone can tell me.
He kept the cue in motion for his false strokes and it seems like he fired on about the 3rd or 4th false stroke. Joe Cosgrove did the same thing.
Is that pendulum or piston?

It's a matter of elbow dropping. If you watch O'Sullivan in snooker, he drops his elbow unless it a draw shot. Most on here and teachers teach pendulum stroke where the elbow stays pinned without dropping.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Yes I am aware of that I wasn't sure if Denwit was.

To me this sounds like an old English thread.

Tony...Massey's video has been broken down and discussed at length before. It just goes to show you that even some top pro players just don't know what they're talking about...even though they can demonstrate the shot. While I may disagree with some other things about The Oyster...he happens to be technically correct here. Elbow drop is a choice, rather than a necessity. Therefore...fewer moving parts (pendulum stroke) wins every time. Many of us also break with the same pendulum stroke. For me and my students, there is no more follow-through on a break, than there is on a lag...no less either! :eek:

Scott Lee

Last edited:

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
So what is the big deal with this "elbow dropping".....??
If the player is making balls, getting position, winning matches, etc. etc. and all that, who gives a flip if his/her elbow drops??
OR...is this "elbow drop" thing just another way for some less than honest instructors to sucker in more students in order to "cure the elbow drop and make someone better"...??
Robin Dreyer is one of the best in the country and when he was in action he was "hell on wheels" and could really screw it on for the cash. Is he preaching about this elbow drop to you?
I find it hard to believe that a player like Robin would dwell on such trivial matters.
What about all that, sir? Your replies will be appreciated.
:smile:

Every lesson he gives is an individual lesson to the person. Not the same for everyone. I won't discuss our lessons.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Okayyyyyyyyy.
Sorry I stuck my nose where it didn't belong.
Merely an attempt at some enlightening conversation, nothing else.
Bye.

No problem. I'm wondering if O'Sullivan, and they did not know who he was, showed up for a lesson from the typical pool teacher, would they look at this stroke and/or try to change him into a pendulum stroke immediately? Nothing mean or hateful here but I'm just wondering what they (pool teachers) would do with a strong piston stroke that makes everything.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
No problem. I'm wondering if O'Sullivan, and they did not know who he was, showed up for a lesson from the typical pool teacher, would they look at this stroke and/or try to change him into a pendulum stroke immediately? Nothing mean or hateful here but I'm just wondering what they (pool teachers) would do with a strong piston stroke that makes everything.

A good instructor would work with what you've been doing for years, show you little things that will improve your style/method. For a newby, introducing or changing to a completely different stroke might be the best route.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
A good instructor would work with what you've been doing for years, show you little things that will improve your style/method. For a newby, introducing or changing to a completely different stroke might be the best route.

True enough for a proficient teacher. Maybe we'll hear from them.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Looks like a pendulum stroke to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trX5hQys62w

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Tell me what would you do with a student who the only way he can draw a cueball is to jack up 45 degrees or more on every shot?

I had a husband and wife duo lesson 2 weeks ago. Both of them lacked consistency in their stroke as observed by video analysis and scorecard evaluation. We decide (student and teacher) what are the elements they need to work on to get more consistent.

First and foremost was working on both implementing a set-up and delivery of a level cue. Both were amazed with the results they had using a level cue.

An instructor must evaluate and work with the student based upon their needs.

True enough for a proficient teacher. Maybe we'll hear from them.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Did that drop occur before or after striking the CB?

Probably before. So the second stroke is a pendulum stroke? I thought the elbow had to stay pinned. I thought instructors put an item on the forearm to make it stay there during the stroke. I'm confused here.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Well here we will disagree, I believe the elbow drop occurred after contact. Watch it in slow motion.

He dropped is elbow because he used more stroke speed on that shot than others.

He dropped what maybe 3 inches....wow I guess he uses a J stroke. <sarcasm>

What if Ronnie after every made shot stood up and did the Irish Jig, would you think that made him successful?

Item on forearm? Not sure what you are talking about.

Elbow pinned.....classic pendulum stroke a few inches of drop after hitting a ball with pace....no big deal.

Teaching a pendulum stroke......consistency, consistency,consistency.

Probably before. So the second stroke is a pendulum stroke? I thought the elbow had to stay pinned. I thought instructors put an item on the forearm to make it stay there during the stroke. I'm confused here.

Last edited: