Why do they still have the stupid unfair break rule at World Cup?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many times are teams going to break hard (which is clearly what that 3 balls past the line rule is about), make a ball and then only one or no balls make it past the line and have to sit and watch the opponents run out on their GOOD EFFIN BREAK???

I'm pissed off at the rule and I'm not even playing!

Idiots!

India was on a roll, they break well, a ball goes in, one goes past the line, and a ball hangs in the jaws. They have to sit. Now instead of being on the hill it's 5-3. And they had a successful hard break where a ball went in. Argh!

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many times are teams going to break hard (which is clearly what that 3 balls past the line rule is about), make a ball and then only one or no balls make it past the line and have to sit and watch the opponents run out on their GOOD EFFIN BREAK???

Idiots!

So they can't used the bird break, most likely. :embarrassed2: Remember that World Pool Championship in Philippines when everybody was doing the bird break?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So they can't used the bird break, most likely. :embarrassed2: Remember that World Pool Championship in Philippines when everybody was doing the bird break?

Make it 2 balls then or just time them and anything under 15mph is a loss of break. When you do 3, you can easily end up with a lot more situations where 3 don't make it down table. Small gaps in the rack, kisses up table, hitting the side pocket points, etc...

I know they do it to keep soft breaking out of the tournament but the way they do it is crap.

RonnieOSullivan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm pretty annoyed; India totally deserved that win, and twice made balls on a hard break but got bad kisses/rolls and had to sit down because of the break rule.

Load of shit if you ask me

TheLoneSilencer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This break rule is by far the dumbest in the game. A legal break of hitting the one first should be all that matters. What a crock that India is eliminated due to this asinine rule.

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really dislike the rule also. Maybe it could be replaced with a rule that if the stripe of the 9 ball is horizontal after the break, they can continue shooting, and if the stripe is vertical, the other team/player takes the table.

TheLoneSilencer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember in a tournament seeing Kelly Fisher make either 3 or 4 balls on the break yet it was called illegal, What a joke!

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really dislike the rule also. Maybe it could be replaced with a rule that if the stripe of the 9 ball is horizontal after the break, they can continue shooting, and if the stripe is vertical, the other team/player takes the table.
Thanks, I needed that laugh after seeing India get robbed by the illegal break rule. The game that put India on the hill was probably the best game of the tournament up to this point.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
What happens if all nine balls are made on the break, all in the break end?

BeachBum2012

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, I needed that laugh after seeing India get robbed by the illegal break rule. The game that put India on the hill was probably the best game of the tournament up to this point.

That shot on the 2 was great. Fun match to watch. Got completely screwed on the breaks though. That final one would have been legal but the white came back and bumped the 7, I think, as it was heading towards the line.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Idiots!

India was on a roll, they break well, a ball goes in, one goes past the line, and a ball hangs in the jaws. They have to sit. Now instead of being on the hill it's 5-3. And they had a successful hard break where a ball went in. Argh!

It is one of the dumbest, knee jerk reaction rule variations in the game, but is expected at these Matchroom made for TV events. Wonder if they weigh what they think the audience wants to see more, just slamming of balls or making a ball on the break yet having to sit down. Sort of undermines all of these Matchroom events, but this is the way they have had it for a number of years now. I remember the first time I saw it, maybe five or six years ago on a “World Cup” stream from Manila, and every time Efren broke and made a ball he went to shoot and was told to sit down as it was an “illegal” break. He just started scratching his head going WTF and went and sat down.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Too bad there wasn't a cheap method they could employ to enforce a no soft breaking rule.

Maybe someday, for just the low cost of 5 dollars you will be able to purchase an a-p-p-l-i-c-a-t-i-o-n that would easily measure the speed of the break....

....yeah right like that would ever be possible.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I hate the rule also for the reasons described above, but also as a traditionalist it bothers me to see a longstanding basic rule of pool like "make a ball keep shooting" thrown in the dustbin. I also hate watching 9 ball where they soft break. Bores me to tears. The break speed app does seem a basic way to enforce no soft breaks.

Also one small counter argument. Most of these guys aren't breaking full out. They're cut breaking to make the one in the side. If the reared back and crashed them hitting the 1 full they would probably never get an illegal break, but with the 9 on the spot they are weighing that against not making a ball.

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quick question for everyone that feels that India got robbed (just as I feel)...

Would we be complaining about the illegal break rule as much if it would have screwed England B instead of India?

If the upcoming USA-Russia were to go to hill-hill with Russia to break, I'd be overjoyed if Russia fell victim to the illegal break rule.

(I'm still pissed that India lost that way though.)