Why do you play pool?

danieldakota53

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just as the title says, why do you play pool? I am curious what drives certain players to continue to strive to play this game. Especially if you have been playing for many years, like to hear why you continue and what pulls you into the pool area to rack up yet another game.

Charlie Hustle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 9 ft Gold Crown in my game room that I hardly use. About the only pool I play now is on a Valley beer box at the bar around the corner from my house. After 12-13 years or so of playing at least 4-5 days a week, it finally got old. So to answer your question, when I do play, its to take money off the bar bangers to pay my tab and put a little gas in my car. :eek:

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
I have a 9 ft Gold Crown in my game room that I hardly use. About the only pool I play now is on a Valley beer box at the bar around the corner from my house. After 12-13 years or so of playing at least 4-5 days a week, it finally got old. So to answer your question, when I do play, its to take money off the bar bangers to pay my tab and put a little gas in my car. :eek:

Time to find a way to rekindle the fire that put the 9ft in your mancave.... Take up straight pool and work on new high runs... The best thing about our game is it will never leave your blood... It will lay dormant for years but you will be right back here... Be a shame to be old and rusty by the time it calls you back........

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From a more psychological perspective - pool, as a hobby, satisfies the 6 human needs very highly. The needs for certainty, uncertainty/variety, significance, connection, growth, contribution (for me) are met by pool.

Certainty comes in knowing the game, as well as knowing that I'll have a good time.
Uncertainty comes because no two racks are the same, and even with the air of familiarity, you never will know for sure what will happen in a rack.
Significance comes from being able to pass on some of the things I know with other players.
Connection comes the same way.
Growth comes from constantly learning the game and always wanting to be a student of it.
Contribution comes from a more long term goal because I want to be able to coach people and help them improve their game and stay dedicated as well.

Anyone who enjoys doing anything will say that these 6 human needs are met pretty highly in that activity that they like doing. Hell, some women actually love cleaning the house and when asked about these 6 human needs, they're all met from cleaning the house.

Now, from a more personal perspective - I've met a lot of people playing pool, some of the coolest guys I've ever had the pleasure of talking to, and I've learned a lot from these guys who share my love of pool. Pool is also an escape for me - it's something that innately has value for me, it's something I take pleasure in just because I think it's fun, and because it's challenging. Every rack is like a different puzzle.

i8ap4t

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play pool because all the tables in my country have these stupid holes scattered throughout the cushion.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Pool Power

There is tremendous power in Pool.

It doesn't talk back, it merely waits for you to figure out how to get something right.

It offers fun and socialization if you gear it that way.

It offers a high level of competition and allow you to discover how to get in the zone. Once there you operate almost as if you are outside yourself and when youre there.....nothing else matters. You can pass outside the physical and all that matters is making correct decisions and getting out.

It is something that you can do the rest of your life. You can find friends and build associations around a better and better game. There is always the goal of a higher run.

Pool is just awesome all the way around and it smiles on those that believe in simplicity. The simple solution is usually the correct one and it can teach you a lot about yourself.

It teaches you problem solving abilities.

It has complexity, simplicity, dexterity and asks you to develop more and more and more skill.

Its the greatest game ever invented on a green background with custom hand held controllers.

MapleMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody can play pool but few can master it.

It is year round and keeps me competitive

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
After playing for 24 years, I still want to experience that flow around the table, controlling the white, your nerves etc. For me it's mostly trying to master 14.1 and learning new moves in 1pocket. When i get old, I'll move to 3 cushion billiards :)

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I quit playing after college for 10+ yrs. Just started back up and play at my local pool hall about 5-6hrs a session. Once every 2 wks, sometime twice with a buddy or two.

I'll play everyday if I didnt have to work so much. Now I'm looking to clean up the garage and get my own 9ft diamond.

I'm probably just a C+ player looking to improve my game.

Watching the streams and youtube vids gets me really amped up wanting to play.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just as the title says, why do you play pool? I am curious what drives certain players to continue to strive to play this game. Especially if you have been playing for many years, like to hear why you continue and what pulls you into the pool area to rack up yet another game.

It seems like I've always loved pool.

I’ve been a student and fan of the game for over 40 year taking up my first cue when I was a teenager and started out playing at The Palace and Cochrans’ in San Francisco, I’ve been lucky enough to have played pool all over the country and overseas. I’ve taken 1pocket lessons from Steve "The Cookie Monster" Cook when he lived in Ohio and 14.1 lessons from Dallas West and Ray Martin. For the last 15 years or so I’ve tried to play in two or three major tournaments a year, like the DCC and the US 1Pocket Open.

I’ve read or own almost every book written on pool going back to Mosconi, through Grissam’s “Billiards, Hustlers & Heroes”; Fench’s “The Lions And the Lambs”; and most recently Dyer’s “Hustler Days” which mentions players like Fats, Lassiter, Red, Ervolino, Professor, Puckett, Allen, Detroit Whitey, Blackie, Shorty, Marcel Camp, Joe Canton, Squirrel, Don Willis, Cornbread, Cuban Joe, Detroit Slim, Eufemia, Goose, Johnny Irish, Ed Kelly, Kid Galahad, Bear, Wimpy, Johnny Layton, Johnnie Lineen, Mike Massey, U.J., Earl Shriver, and Johnny Vevis, among others.

I recall reading Tom Fox’s stories in Sports Illustrated, like “Hustlers’ Holiday in the Lion’s Den” and “You don’t Beat Wimp at the Game He Loves”; and the six page illustrated story “Battle of the Hottest Sticks” all of which mention players like Procita, Lingo, Cornbread, Shorty, Handsome Danny, Fats, Weenie Beenie, Pots and Pans, Wimpy, Squirrel Tugboat, Whitey, the Knoxville Bear, Daddy Warbucks, Youngblood, and NY Blackie.

Off and on, I’ve been a regular subscriber to BD, P&B, Inside Pool, and The National Billiard News and love reading stories like the “Legends of the Road” and the late George Fels’ column on everything pool. And I still love it.

I love the way the balls just sit there on the table in all their shiny, pristine, geometrically perfect insolence and whisper, "Come on, big boy. Show me what you can do."

How can you resist?

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Truth, just Truth

Well I hope you can all understand and appreciate a little honestly. Because gar is what my answer is.

First I start playing the game of Pool at the POLITICALLY INCORRECT, Boys Club of America before it was CHICK-O-FIED into the Boys & GWIRLS CLUB for some dumb a**ed reason. that was about 1955. GWIRLS need their own club to learn to cook, do dishes, wash cloth, take care of the house, and raise the kids. <<<<<-----LOL

Second I found the game challenging back in 1955, and still do today.

Third reason is we have a very nice Pool Room in one of the RECREATIONS CENTERS where I live. Get jealous now as we have 20 Well Kept Brunswick Gold Crown II’s. 25 4.5 x 8.0 Pool Tables, 2 5 x 10 Snooker Tables, 2 4 x 10 Three Cushion Tables.

Fourth reason is the game is still challenging, is great for making you think, use you brain,and after over 60 years the game still offer me a challenge. I have no got tired of Pool.

I tried the local tournment thing for 3 or 4 years in bars, weekly, or bi weekly. Quite frankly I won a few, placed in many but about 2009. Said this is more trouble than it is worth. The money don't justify the time spend, or time wasted driving cross town, and still all nigh for a few buck return. Tried League twice in my life, and can say I did it, and don;t want to do it again.

Last I play the game of Pool for recreation, and enjoy ONE POCKET BEST, as it is the most challenging game to me. Hate 8, 9, and 10 Ball, will play 14/1 if no one want to play One Hole.
;)

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
why ?!?

ok,...... no biography here, just to the point.

I found that it combined 2 old hobbies. So, in the interest of saving time as I grow older, I now play pool instead of target shooting with stressed-out policemen/veterans , and talking to nut-jobs at the asylum. :rolleyes: :grin:

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
VERY well said

From a more psychological perspective - pool, as a hobby, satisfies the 6 human needs very highly. The needs for certainty, uncertainty/variety, significance, connection, growth, contribution (for me) are met by pool.

Certainty comes in knowing the game, as well as knowing that I'll have a good time.
Uncertainty comes because no two racks are the same, and even with the air of familiarity, you never will know for sure what will happen in a rack.
Significance comes from being able to pass on some of the things I know with other players.
Connection comes the same way.
Growth comes from constantly learning the game and always wanting to be a student of it.
Contribution comes from a more long term goal because I want to be able to coach people and help them improve their game and stay dedicated as well.

Anyone who enjoys doing anything will say that these 6 human needs are met pretty highly in that activity that they like doing. Hell, some women actually love cleaning the house and when asked about these 6 human needs, they're all met from cleaning the house.

Now, from a more personal perspective - I've met a lot of people playing pool, some of the coolest guys I've ever had the pleasure of talking to, and I've learned a lot from these guys who share my love of pool. Pool is also an escape for me - it's something that innately has value for me, it's something I take pleasure in just because I think it's fun, and because it's challenging. Every rack is like a different puzzle.

Outstanding comment!

I might add that I am fascinated by the physics and geometry of the game.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I raced a lot for 20 years, after I quit (or took an extended vacation from it) I found out that it wasn't so much the driving part that I missed but the competition, and that's why I play pool, for the competition. Its also easy to play (I do not mean successfully) as we bought a table for our basement and it is not weather dependent. At this point (almost 3 years of playing so far) I still enjoy going downstairs and playing/practicing alone, knowing or at least hoping it will improve my game, not sure that I would enjoy it as much if it wasn't for the competition though.

Jdale

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Started playing when I was 13 yr old and fell in love with pool.
In the last sixty years I've played all the games. 61 pt rotation, 15 ball rotation, 9 ball, 6ball, 3 ball, cribage, pea pool, cut throat, straight pool, line pool, eight ball and one pocket.
On a snooker table I've played 1,6 & 15 reds snooker, pay ball, golf and Russian billiards and straight pool.
From time to time I played some 3 cushion.
What inspired me all these years is great shot makers and position players.
I've played so many different players and learned something from everyone no-matter what their skill level was.
After 59 yrs I still love the game as much as ever and still play 3 or 4 times a week.

Dale

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to play international and semi-pro soccer but had an injury to my ankle. I also found my plateau in that sport and moved on. Pool filled the competitive void that was left behind at first but since then I play it mainly to make money especially when I am in between jobs.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like pool cuz there's

A lot of challenges in pool and increasingly complex layers of difficulty.

Aim, straight stroke, speed control, english and its complications, patterns, two way shots, safety or aggressive approach, kick, jump, jump kick, ....it goes on and on...

A lifetime of puzzles to solve...what a great game.

And a lifetime of brushes with Lady Luck..the heartaches, the teases and the too infrequent loving embraces.

Translation: Pool is hard. Lots of stuff can go wrong. Especially if opponent is a lucky SOB.;)

flyrv9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like it because it helps keep me sharp and always thinking. At 65 I try to play better despite vision problems and just getting older; I still enjoy it. I play in local tournaments here in Wichita once a week. When I retire in a few months I'll go back to playing league. 2nd shift has eliminated that for now. It's something I can do that's fun, challenging, rewarding and helps keep me young!