Why no buzz over TAR 37???

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
yeah, I recognized Hunter, but not the other guy. I wonder what they are talking about- the mic has been turned off for some reason

Spot shot and draw spin the cueball past the side pocket. And it was NJ's Teddy Garrahan who might be traveling with Joe.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
30 - 18 Shane. Pretty convincing thumping.

From Pool-Trax I see they both had 50% B&R's, with the packages as follows:

Shane's 15 B&R's consisted of one 6-pack, one 3-pack, one 2-pack, and four singles.

Corey's 9 B&R's consisted of one 4-pack and five singles.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Corey had many golden opportunities to really get in this match, but he made mistakes at crucial moments. It was something like 23-18 when he missed a very easy shot (about a 95% shot for a guy at his level)- that was basically all she wrote. Shane also got some fortunate rolls toward the end of the match. Shane was really rolling early and then tailed off for a while until Corey handed the match back to him

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would love it if corey would light a fire under his own ass after the loss and get back in gear...but as was said earlier, tough to see how these guys stay motivated to hold a spot at the top of the heap.

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
So is anyone planning on breaking opposite handed, second or third ball in league this week?

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
He's talking about 8-ball

yup. 8ball. Corey had some of the craziest outs I've seen. If he could get really instroke, I think that would be the way to beat SVB at 8ball. Assuming he doesn't put a couple 6 packs on you... :thumbup:

Very fun to watch, and it was good to see Corey bring some heat. last day got a little ugly, but it happens...

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So is anyone planning on breaking opposite handed, second or third ball in league this week?

I can't even shoot the simplest shot left handed. I am the worst opposite handed shooter in the history of pool- I can hardly even hold the cue properly- it feels totally foreign.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
If I could, I would try soft break in 9b league for sure.
But it's technically against the rules.

In the past I'd had it in my head that without a magic rack, soft break was pretty low success rate.
Like gaps I couldn't see were keeping it down to maybe 50% success rate.

But it appears with a good condition diamond, delta rack, and (presumably) good condition aramiths...
plus two motivated players who take the time to rack carefully and break correctly...
The success rate should be more like 80-90%.
The times the players failed, Joe Tucker was able to spot the problem right away... they missed a gap
(which you know by the 9ball moving) or they cut the wrong side of the head ball
(the cue ball should only cut towards the breaker's side, never the opposite side).

I believe this confirms that the magic rack doesn't do anything special that you can't do with a normal rack...
It's a myth that the wing ball gets more wired than usual or that the rack allows for lower speeds than
you normally could do. Corey's speed was so soft it almost looked like it wouldn't make for a good lag :p

I'm also surprised at the 50% runout rate. Most players would be thrilled with that.
But I think Corey stubbornly refused to change a break that wasn't working for him (he made a ball
but had an unmakeable 3-ball almost every time) and Shane kept breaking harder than necessary,
leaving the cue ball stuck on the rail, or too far from the 1, or getting hooked on the 1.

If you figure out the issue with corey's 3-ball, or modify shane's so he ends up as easy on the 1 as corey,
I think 70%+ is not impossible for these guys.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometimes, IMO, Corey is crazier than Earl. Remember breaking with a bridge?