WHY? Thin shaft VS. Thick Shaft

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Is it because there was some "chicken wing" motion with the elbow drop? That's a common affliction and one reason why many people prefer keeping their elbow and shoulder still during the stroke.

For those interested in this topic, see the list of disadvantages on the elbow drop resource page.

Regards,
Dave

There was some slight side motion (It doesn't take much to throw you off) when he dropped his elbow and when his shoulder moved but his accuracy increased as soon as he stopped dropping his elbow. It's fun to see someone improve almost immediately upon such a slight correction.

Are you still selling those DVD's that cover this type of information and much, much more? Where can someone buy your complete set of DVD's?

JoeyA

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Are you still selling those DVD's that cover this type of information and much, much more? Where can someone buy your complete set of DVD's?
Thank you for asking (although, I know you are just being nice since I know that you know where to find my stuff). All of my instructional products are listed and described here: Dr. Dave's instructional product info and purchasing advice.

And they are all available for purchase at dr-dave-billiards.com.

My "complete set of DVD's" is quite a lot (and expensive), but not everybody will be interested in all of them.

Thanks again,
Dave

Last edited:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
"Expensive" is spending your life playing this game without the important knowledge and tools that it takes to make this a fun and profitable journey.

Your DVD's contain lots of valuable information that can help anyone's pool game.

JoeyA

Thank you for asking (although, I know you are just being nice since I know that you know where to find my stuff). All of my instructional products are listed and described here: Dr. Dave's instructional product info and purchasing advice.

And they are all available for purchase at dr-dave-billiards.com.

My "complete set of DVD's" is quite a lot (and expensive), but not everybody will be interested in all of them.

Thanks again,
Dave

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why would a player consistently overcut a shot using center ball using a thin shaft (LD) but not overcut the same shot using center ball and a thick shaft (traditional non-LD maple shaft)?

FTR, the player's experience is mostly with the thicker non-LD Maple shaft and is a skill level 6.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
JoeyA

Most likely they are unconsciously using a touch of outside english to make the ball. They are unconsciously expecting the deflection which would produce a fuller hit. When that deflection is greatly reduced, they overcut the ball. That is my best guess.

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does he overcut in one direction and undercut in the other (always misses in the same direction, to his left or right)? If so, it might be a vision center problem that can be fixed with a stance adjustment.

pj
chgo

I understand this concept, but don't think the data supports this. Mainly because the shot is consistently missed with a smaller LD shaft, and consistently made with a larger standard shaft. If it was a vision center problem as you describe (which I suffer from greatly), I think that shaft diameter wouldn't make too much difference.

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never seen you at a pro tournament. I can assure you the large majority of top players are playing with the smaller low deflection shafts. I can't help it you wish they didn't.

How did you get that out of qbuilder's post? He specifically said *he doesn't know what they do*, because he hasn't surveyed them all. I think he was also implying that you probably haven't surveyed *all* the top pros, of even the majority of them. I have personally attended many many pro tournaments, and I'm very particular about equipment. I am inclined to agree with your *assumption*, but that is what it is and nothing more. The "wish they didn't" part is totally made up by you, and I must say it damages the credibility of the rest of your post. Still, you are probably right about the rest.

KMRUNOUT

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Maybe the thicker shaft helps them process the outer edges of the cue ball in relation to the tip size where as the smaller tip sort of gets lost in the middle of the cue ball. If the makes sense...

thats along the lines of what first came to my mind as well......especially if they are not sighting through the cue while standing but trying to use the cue to aim while down on the ball......a 1-1.5mm diff to me would make a normal cut shot come up thinner on the hit producing that overcut......