willow shaft

Big_mike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone have any experince with using willow for a shaft ?
how do they hit ?

mike.

Big_mike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was thinking more of a white willow like what they use to make cricket bats with..

Mike

riedmich

.. dogs' friend ..
Silver Member
Does anyone have any experince with using willow for a shaft ?
how do they hit ?

mike.

I would guess that willow is much too lightweighted and not strong enough. Maybe it could work with a 13+ mm diameter and a conical taper, perhaps additionally 1 inch longer and more "flesh" nearby the joint. But I am more pessimistic because of its weakness.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Willow?

Didn't they used to make buggywhips out of that?

I thought willow was real "bendy".....:confused:

Lexicologist71

Rabid Schuler fanatic
Silver Member
I used willow to make a book case in high school wood shop. The boards warped badly before I could even assemble it. Willow is not known for strength.

Big_mike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ok ill have to do some research then cuz the white wilow im thinking of like i said is for cricket bats (very strong) ..

Lexicologist71

Rabid Schuler fanatic
Silver Member
That's kinda what I expected. Willow is some really light stuff. Strong woods usually weigh more than weaker woods.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ok ill have to do some research then cuz the white wilow im thinking of like i said is for cricket bats (very strong) ..

I've seen Cricket. Played by girls in prissy white uniforms. :rolleyes: They don't seem to actually hit so hard......bendy bats. ;):D

Willow. bends but does not break...hence the buggywhips and cricket bats. I think those bats are laminated anyway...not one piece....correct me if I am wrong.

Baseball bats? Traditionally Northern Ash. Now that's a strong wood. Oh...and ash is in fact used in cue shafts...snooker cues.....

Big_mike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen Cricket. Played by girls in prissy white uniforms. :rolleyes: They don't seem to actually hit so hard......bendy bats. ;):D

Willow. bends but does not break...hence the buggywhips and cricket bats. I think those bats are laminated anyway...not one piece....correct me if I am wrong.

Baseball bats? Traditionally Northern Ash. Now that's a strong wood. Oh...and ash is in fact used in cue shafts...snooker cues.....

nope they are not laminated .

Yes base ball bats are good my break cue shaft is made from a used baseball bat from the 1950's.