Wood or carbon?

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
Of people in my area that are in the 600 to 700 and some a bit more, there is only a couple carbon fiber shafts. I don't know why, I think they offer some benefits and to be honest, it surprises me that more of the better players aren't on the cf band wagon.
The top 10 players in my region, 7 use wood, including the top 3.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to try carbon, but I need a male pin on the shaft.
I don't see a solution for that.
There is one but nobody offers it.

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
And 7 of the top 10 players in the world use Carbon. What's your point?
The top 10 players in the world could play with fossilized dog turds and beat 99% of the pool players on earth. So sponsorship and money is probably the largest factor in any of the top pro's choice of equipment. Carbon fiber 2x4 rebar like tinky shafts are hot sellers right now. The pro players are helping their sponsors sell them. Lots of them.
Oh and they don't dent as easily when you loose control of your cue. Yeah! But you will be told how hard / expensive it is to fix a dent in one when you do. (Its not rocket science it's a pool stick) Always remember and never forget, I don't care what you play with. But "Wood is good"

nicksaint26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The top 10 players in the world could play with fossilized dog turds and beat 99% of the pool players on earth. So sponsorship and money is probably the largest factor in any of the top pro's choice of equipment. Carbon fiber 2x4 rebar like tinky shafts are hot sellers right now. The pro players are helping their sponsors sell them. Lots of them.
Oh and they don't dent as easily when you loose control of your cue. Yeah! But you will be told how hard / expensive it is to fix a dent in one when you do. (Its not rocket science it's a pool stick) Always remember and never forget, I don't care what you play with. But "Wood is good"

While you and others keep saying this I know for a fact they play with CF because they like it better not because they are sponsored. Believe what you want to believe but my friends who are pros say otherwise. I'll take their word for it.

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
While you and others keep saying this I know for a fact they play with CF because they like it better not because they are sponsored. Believe what you want to believe but my friends who are pros say otherwise. I'll take their word for it.
Keep saying "The top 10 players in the world could play with fossilized dog turds and beat 99% of the pool players on earth" ? That might be because it's true.
Okay, I have finally had a chance to play with several of them and I believe they play like a piece of rebar thus the "tinky rebar" reference. But hey, whatever floats their boat is okay with me. Pesonally I'm not a fan. If your pro friends feel they are better than an organic old school wood shaft and are convinced it helps improve thier game, then I guess money has absolutly nothing to do with it. I'm curious if anyone knows for certain if Efren has adopted one as his go to? I ask because I suspect he will play with whatever he wants to play with. That would be a pretty strong endorsment (if he isn't actually being paid to endorse one of course?? To each their own. If seven out of ten are doing it, maybe three out of ten are doing it right.
If you don't mind me asking, who are your pro friends?

nicksaint26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keep saying "The top 10 players in the world could play with fossilized dog turds and beat 99% of the pool players on earth" ? That might be because it's true.
Okay, I have finally had a chance to play with several of them and I believe they play like a piece of rebar thus the "tinky rebar" reference. But hey, whatever floats their boat is okay with me. Pesonally I'm not a fan. If your pro friends feel they are better than an organic old school wood shaft and are convinced it helps improve thier game, then I guess money has absolutly nothing to do with it. I'm curious if anyone knows for certain if Efren has adopted one as his go to? I ask because I suspect he will play with whatever he wants to play with. That would be a pretty strong endorsment (if he isn't actually being paid to endorse one of course?? To each their own. If seven out of ten are doing it, maybe three out of ten are doing it right.
If you don't mind me asking, who are your pro friends?

Their exact words were I'd never play with something if it did help improve my game. They play for pride and titles not because someone pays them to use a certain shaft. Sure they want to make their sponsors happy but only to a certain extent. Them winning is worth more.

And I'd rather not say their names because I know how this place is all to well but you can pm me.

Last edited:

Blue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i used a predator revo for about a year and a half, dont really like the stiffness of the revo and tackiness after a couple hours playing with it.
I am thinking to go back to wood shafts for now. wish predator still sells the old 314-2 shafts

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
50% on shaft type, wood vs carbon. I'd say the days of non-LD shafts are numbered, but not the days of wood shafts.
Nothing hits better than solid maple. They play just fine if that's what you learn to play with. I can go back and forth. Just takes me a few games to adjust. And takes a few weeks to be extremely comfortable (automatic....high confidence) with a shaft

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All shafts wood, CF, whatever comes next will have some deflection, stroke is what produces spin regardless of t
I think the Carbon Fiber is certainly more emperical (accurate) with the hit. But certain shots especially in One Pocket you desire a scoot or swerve out of the cue ball. Touchy high spin low speed ball take outs from your opponents pocket, IMO, are better served with a maple shaft. You can't get that cueball action with carbon.
Won't a shorter bridge length give that "scoot or swerve" you are looking for? Could you give an example???

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
The FSR "What's in the Bag" interview has the kid saying he used Predator long before they sponsored him
Yep, FSR grew up on wood shaft Predator 314.
As did his countryman David Alcaide, he won two World Pool Masters Titles with it. He now uses a Revo, (but plays worse).
You seem pretty sure that carbon fiber is better than wood lol.
You should use cf. You are EXACTLY who cf is made for.

nicksaint26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep, FSR grew up on wood shaft Predator 314.
As did his countryman David Alcaide, he won two World Pool Masters Titles with it. He now uses a Revo, (but plays worse).
You seem pretty sure that carbon fiber is better than wood lol.
You should use cf. You are EXACTLY who cf is made for.

FSR plays worse lmao the dude has one everything imaginable with his CF shaft. You are just some haters that's all and Woodshaft your a troll!

Last edited:

Cuedup

It seems 'it's the indian not the arrow' makes the CF vs maple argument irrelevant.

Is it the arrow?

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can see why pros use carbon. They hit more balls in a couple days than I do all month long.
But For the average player, Carbon is pretty worthless. 75$ wood shafts feel better imo. Stop dropping your cue or slapping the table when u miss and wood won't get nicked up

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
This seems to be an endless debate, this discussion wood vs carbon. Do you guys really think it matters. Deflection is deflection no mater what type of shaft your into. It's just varying amounts.
Just watch dr dave lastest video on it.
If you are prepared to, put the work in. It won't matter. I just think it's a bit crazy, that anyone willing to spend over 400 on a shaft. And not even knowing, if that's going to improve your game.you would be better off, spending that,on some coaching lessons.
when predator first came out 20 plus years ago. Alot of the big players of the time, just stayed with there own traditional shafts. Just to name a few reyes, bustamante, archer, yang, doulton, luat
It was always the younger players that used that brand.
Even watching the last tournament, the men and women using the zen cues. There's Look very traditional It doesn't seem to affect them.
Even through the cue market, is full of the latest LD and Carbon shafts, its refreshing to see, some players don't feel the need to believe the hype..
I paid $500 for a used wood shaft, wouldn’t sell it for 2k. Don’t think I’d sell it period, plays better for me than any other shaft I tried. Just got lucky, I had a new one built by the same builder custom fit to my cue and it was no contest. The used shaft won out, I’m guessing it is higher quality wood from some time ago.