World Cup Of Pool (9-14 May2021) $250K Prizemoney

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
World Cup of Pool is back. My favorite doubles event of the year. Ok, it is the only doubles event of the year :ROFLMAO:
Mika missing from Finland. Where is Ralf Souquet? 10 teams so far and 22 more to be announced. Hope they really will get 32 teams (64 players) to come.

teamswcop.JPG

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great Britain A and Austria look the strongest. But I have no idea who Reintjes is, so if he's anywhere near He or Melling, then Germany would be at the top as well.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
without knowing their teams, i would say taiwan, china and the philippines are tough contenders. russia too if gorst brings ruslan

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great Britain A and Austria look the strongest. But I have no idea who Reintjes is, so if he's anywhere near He or Melling, then Germany would be at the top as well.
Probably a monster. Germany have many really strong players that only play Bundesliga 14.1 or something. They could bring in so many unknown world beater teams that it is scary.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
These are some very strong teams. Yes, as defending champs, Austria may be the ones to beat, but wow, Great Britain A, Team Spain, and Team Poland look like serious contenders to me. Must admit that I'm not familiar with Josh Filler's partner, so I'm hard pressed to make heads or tails of Team Germany.

I'm looking forward to the continuing filling of the field. Must assume that, as the #1 ranked player in the Matchroom world rankings, JL Chang will be on Team Taiwan, and if they put him with Little Ko, the reigning World 10-ball Champion, heaven help us. Also looking forward to seeing who gets the nod from the Philippines. This is shaping up to be a very special event.

Matchroom is about to deliver yet again! No surprise there.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
5 more teams added.
Philippines
Jeff De Luna & Roberto Gomez
Russia

Fedor Gorst & Sergey Lutsker
Greece
Nick Malai & Alexander Kazakis
Italy
Daniele Corrieri & Fabio Petroni
Switzerland
Ronald Regli & Dimitri Djungo

Philippines sending their 2nd stringers.
Is that the best Philippines can put up? Where is Dennis, Biado, Lee Van , Anton?

Austrian pair of Albin & Mario still top favorite and team to beat from these 15 teams. Twice champion + once finalist in past 3 editions. They have their partnership down to a T
:)

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Very disappointing entry for Team Philippines. Safe bet these two were not the first ones asked.

Let's hope full potential is realized in the assembly of Team China (any two of Zheng, Wu or Haitao would work for me) and Team Taiwan (JL Chang with either of the Kos would work for me).

Asia wasn't competitive at the Predator Championship League event because their best weren't there. I'd hate to see the same thing happen at the World Cup of Pool.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No Shane in official WCOP artwork.
Looks like he has not PATCHED up with Emily/Matchroom :ROFLMAO:

WCOP2021_1080x1080.jpg

Scrunge19

Registered
Shane replied to someone on instagram and said that he won't in the world cup because he wasn't invited.

Must have forgotten to kiss the ring...

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sky and Billy represent USA so we now have 16 teams. 16 more teams to be announced.
Shane dropped by Matchroom for World Cup of Pool after playing in last 7 editions. Inviting him to the less prestigious World Pool Masters is a consolation prize. Matchroom is sending a message. ;)

Reactions: sjm

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just assumed they want to build a stronger US team. Getting Billy over there can’t hurt for giving him opportunities under the lights.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Happy for Billy Thorpe. Billy accepted the invitation to Matchroom's new $85,000 event and conducted himself creditably while participating. It's nice to see him earn this opportunity and I wish him and Skyler the best of luck.

MD1108

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The USA pairing of Sky and Billy is puzzling to me. Matchroom is investing a lot money and time in bringing pool to a world stage so, it's very much their show. Matchroom has also made it clear they are interested in American pool players moving towards a higher and more professional standard, from that perspective it feels a bit early to have Billy receive this invitation considering the poor behavior and character he displayed just a few months ago.
For clarity, I believe people can learn from their mistakes and rebuild themselves but, that requires time and effort to show one has truly learned from their negative actions. So, again it feels a bit quick for this to be Matchrooms choice for Team USA.

1) were any other American players invited?
2) was SVB invited? if yes, did he turn it down?
3) if SVB was not invited is there any info on that topic?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this subject AZ. Thanks for taking time to read the post and respond.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The USA pairing of Sky and Billy is puzzling to me. Matchroom is investing a lot money and time in bringing pool to a world stage so, it's very much their show. Matchroom has also made it clear they are interested in American pool players moving towards a higher and more professional standard, from that perspective it feels a bit early to have Billy receive this invitation considering the poor behavior and character he displayed just a few months ago.
For clarity, I believe people can learn from their mistakes and rebuild themselves but, that requires time and effort to show one has truly learned from their negative actions. So, again it feels a bit quick for this to be Matchrooms choice for Team USA.

1) were any other American players invited?
2) was SVB invited? if yes, did he turn it down?
3) if SVB was not invited is there any info on that topic?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this subject AZ. Thanks for taking time to read the post and respond.
SVB said he wasn’t invited.

He snubbed their Predator Championship League Pool

He is a world class player that is outside his prime by a smidge and has always performed poorly in their events.

Team USA went from abysmal showings for a decade to two good wins followed by a shitshow loss.

The Mosconi Cup is risking becoming a non viable event if it can’t maintain the illusion of competitiveness.

The current crop of USA players are not up to the international standard.

SVB might not retire tomorrow but the day will come and he is past the days of hunger of improving.

The future of US pool is in the hands of Sky, Billy, Justin, Chris and Tyler. And they need more experience.

So why not give SVB the world pool masters shot and give Sky/Billy the chance to improve their teamwork under the big lights. Kind of a win-win.

Last edited: