Russia
Fedor Gorst & Sergey Lutsker
Greece
Nick Malai & Alexander Kazakis
Italy
Daniele Corrieri & Fabio Petroni
Switzerland
Ronald Regli & Dimitri Djungo

Philippines sending their 2nd stringers.
Is that the best Philippines can put up? Where is Dennis, Biado, Lee Van , Anton?

Austrian pair of Albin & Mario still top favorite and team to beat from these 15 teams. Twice champion + once finalist in past 3 editions. They have their partnership down to a T
:)
Unfortunately, there are things that happen in selecting these "teams" that don't necessarily have to do with taking the best players. Players who have found "favor" with the selectors from Matchroom are the ones being picked more often than not.

Like so many on here, we all know that SVB remains our best player and Orcollo, Lee Van and Carlo are a notch above Jeff and Roberto. It would have been exciting to see Anton thrown in there too. He is a spectacular player. That said, Filipino players have a knack for rising to the occasion. I would not at all be surprised to see Jeff and Roberto go deep. They will take offense at being called "second stringers."

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Not always; he won the World Pool Masters in 2014 and 2015.
Bingo! Shane also won the World Cup of Pool early in his career with Rodney as his partner and just a few years ago, Shane finished second with Skyler as his partner.

It's only at the Mosconi where Shane has shown poor form over the years.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I suspect that the chemistry between Sky and Billy is the main reason for SVB's non-invite. The two are fun to watch. Wasn't Shane playing on his phone during key moments of the last mosconi?

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not always; he won the World Pool Masters in 2014 and 2015.
In terms of accuracy and precision, you are correct. In terms of conveying a sentiment, I assume my hyperbole resonated in terms of the kinds of thinking that may be going through Emily Frazer's mind.

Last edited:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
11more teams added. Making total 27 teams now. 5 more places left.
Albania Kaci and Besar Spahiu
Kuwait Omar Al-Shaheen and Bader Abdullah Alawadhi
Australia Justin Sajich and Ivan Li
Belgium Serge Das and Kevin Lannoye
Bosnia & Herzegovina Sanjin Pehlivanovic and Ajdin Piknjac
Croatia Philipp Stojanovic and Roberto Bartol
Czech Republic Roman Hybler and Michal Gavenciak.
Denmark Mickey Krause Bahram Lotfy
Estonia Denis Grabe and Mark Magi
Hungary Oliver Szolnoki and Vilmos Foldes
Lithuania Pijus Labutis and Kęstutis Žadeikis.

27 teams as it stands now
27.JPG

Good to see Sanjin from lesser known Bosnia get to appear in the limelight.
Surprised that the quarrelsome duo of Denis Grabe & Magi from last year are back again this year. :ROFLMAO:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I think the inclusion of new countries is great. Perhaps it will help to popularize pool in these countries.

PS So far, China and Taiwan, two of the favorites, are missing from the field. It wouldn't be the World Cup of Pool without them!

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sky and Billy represent USA so we now have 16 teams. 16 more teams to be announced.
Shane dropped by Matchroom for World Cup of Pool after playing in last 7 editions. Inviting him to the less prestigious World Pool Masters is a consolation prize. Matchroom is sending a message. ;)
I don't agree with this. The World Pool Masters is the more prestigious of the two events. Yes it has a slightly smaller prize fund but has the added advantage of ranking points. The World Cup of Pool generates more income because it is open to (invited) players from less recognized pool nations. The World Pool Masters doesn't yet have a consistent approach to how it invites players but they are always ranked highly and/or highly recognized. The tournament is stacked with (mostly) the best tournament players in the world. This is partly because it is not limited to two (or four for the hosts) players per country. Matchroom has recognized the value in inviting three (assuming that SVB will be the only US player at the World Pool Masters, there might be more) rather than two US players to the two events. Of course SVB will be disappointed not the be at the WCOP, but there is a fairly long list of players from China, Taiwan, Philippines, UK, etc who also won't be there. It's the "World Cup" of Pool so it's a representative tournament. If it were the "World Scotch Doubles Championship" then there would be a compelling argument for basing it solely on rankings and stacking it with multiple pairings from the same nation.

Last edited:

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately, there are things that happen in selecting these "teams" that don't necessarily have to do with taking the best players. Players who have found "favor" with the selectors from Matchroom are the ones being picked more often than not.

Like so many on here, we all know that SVB remains our best player and Orcollo, Lee Van and Carlo are a notch above Jeff and Roberto. It would have been exciting to see Anton thrown in there too. He is a spectacular player. That said, Filipino players have a knack for rising to the occasion. I would not at all be surprised to see Jeff and Roberto go deep. They will take offense at being called "second stringers."
Strange selection of Roberto aka the choker and jeff.
Definitely second tier.
Would love to see the deadly firepower combo of Carlo and Anton whos imo the money game king in the Philippines currently.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
11more teams added. Making total 27 teams now. 5 more places left.
Albania Kaci and Besar Spahiu
Kuwait Omar Al-Shaheen and Bader Abdullah Alawadhi
Australia Justin Sajich and Ivan Li
Belgium Serge Das and Kevin Lannoye
Bosnia & Herzegovina Sanjin Pehlivanovic and Ajdin Piknjac
Croatia Philipp Stojanovic and Roberto Bartol
Czech Republic Roman Hybler and Michal Gavenciak.
Denmark Mickey Krause Bahram Lotfy
Estonia Denis Grabe and Mark Magi
Hungary Oliver Szolnoki and Vilmos Foldes
Lithuania Pijus Labutis and Kęstutis Žadeikis.

27 teams as it stands now
View attachment 592575

Good to see Sanjin from lesser known Bosnia get to appear in the limelight.
Surprised that the quarrelsome duo of Denis Grabe & Magi from last year are back again this year. :ROFLMAO:

i would've thought grabe strangled him backstage last time.

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t really mind seeing Sky and Billy. It’s not our best team but they pair well together. Matchroom obviously likes the personality they bring to the table and I think they know it’s in their best interest to promote other U.S. players.
I read somewhere Bergman received an invite to the World Pool Masters but declined it.

parvus1202

Suspected hacked account
Silver Member

Matchroom tried to make all teams capable of winning. If they picked Carlo and Orcollo or Lee Van chances are the Philippines will have a higher chance of winning again.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I don’t really mind seeing Sky and Billy. It’s not our best team but they pair well together. Matchroom obviously likes the personality they bring to the table and I think they know it’s in their best interest to promote other U.S. players.
I read somewhere Bergman received an invite to the World Pool Masters but declined it.
Of course, it's possible you are right.

Still, my thinking here is that they're making a statement here in not inviting SVB, and the choice to replace him with Billy Thorpe may well be the result of the fact that Billy is the more accomplished of the two American players that supported their new Predator Championship League event by participating. I think it unlikely that Matchroom gave any thought at all to whether Billy and Sky would mesh as a team. I'm not buying the argument that they feel a need to promote other American players. Plain and simple, the World Cup of Pool is a more marketable product with SVB in it.

Although it would greatly please me, it's hard to imagine Sky and Billy winning the event. On the other hand, if Team Taiwan and Team China leave their best players at home the way Team Philippines did, things get quite a bit easier.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course, it's possible you are right.

Still, my thinking here is that they're making a statement here in not inviting SVB, and the choice to replace him with Billy Thorpe may well be the result of the fact that Billy is the more accomplished of the two American players that supported their new Predator Championship League event by participating. I think it unlikely that Matchroom gave any thought at all to whether Billy and Sky would mesh as a team. I'm not buying the argument that they feel a need to promote other American players. Plain and simple, the World Cup of Pool is a more marketable product with SVB in it.

Although it would greatly please me, it's hard to imagine Sky and Billy winning the event. On the other hand, if Team Taiwan and Team China leave their best players at home the way Team Philippines did, things get quite a bit easier.

I wonder if travel restrictions could be a factor on whether there even is a Team China or Taiwan.

in terms of marketability, my knee jerk reaction is to agree. I’d like to see him playing in it.

My devil’s advocate reaction is to wonder how much US viewership has been profitable to Matchroom compared to worldwide viewership. It’s possible they don’t find that to be a critical factor.

That and I wonder if Matchroom is looking at the marketability of other US players and might be intentionally building the brand of those players because they’re easing back from putting all their US market eggs in the SVB basket because they might be feeling like he doesn’t play ball whether talking about the CLP or the year he was shunning the Mosconi Cup boot camps. Maybe they’re preparing for the future day when they’re ready to just move on.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I liked it when SVB played with Earl years ago. They both played well even though they didn't go that far.