World Cup of Pool Day 3 Updates

Albatross Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Darrell Peach, does not seem too confident yet in this match, but a nice shot in the third rack that could get him back in the match.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
Daryl Peach and Mark Gray playing for England B
Marcus Chamat and Christian ? for Sweden

After this it's 2nd Round Matches, so those players should be in form after having played on the table.

Glad to hear some of you are following the updates.. I assumed there were a few without access to streaming.

Colin

I will update scores in this post, or split it up over several posts if there are other posts discussing the goings on.

Frame 1: England wins the lag. Peach nails the break, 1 ball in the middle and perfect on the 2 ball, pretty open layout. Gray underdraws to the 3 ball but it's still on. Combo 3-7 leaves nice angle on the 3 for Gray,.... a little traffic for Peach to get from 4 to 5... he catches the 8 ball leaving a fine 5 ball. Gray thicks the 5 and misses... bad miss. Christian draws nicely from 5 to 6 and Sweden should be out. Sweden 1-0 and 3 ordinary shots by England to blow the first frame.

Frame 2:Christian slugs the break and makes the 5 wing ball and 1 ball top corner. Left only half the 2 ball, safety doesn't hook England, but leaves a long tester. Peach plays safe instead of taking on the pot and leaves a similar tester for Sweden. The slugger Christian jumped all over it and overcut the 2 ball. England with a chance here... 2 to 3 is tricky. Peach attempts a power draw with side and gets 2/3rd the way... needs work on his cue power. Gray, not quite snookered banks the 3 ball table length and gets nicely on the 6. Peach pots the 6 but couldn't manage to get past the 8 ball. Another bank? Nope, Gray tries to hide and comes up short.

Marcus to bank? No, he plays the CB 3 rails tight in behind the 8 ball. No room to jump, but Peach finds a 1 rail escape but leaves a pretty easy 7 ball. And the Swedes steal another one after England had a good opportunity. Sweden 2-0

Frame 3: Chamat makes the 1 in the middle. Perfect on 2 ball but a tied up 5 ball to sort out. Didn't quite get the angle on the 4 to move the cluster but got on the 5 well enough to play safe and find a snooker. Well, they left a thin cut and Peach cuts the 5 into the rail and off the 8 ball to make it, and gets nice shape on the 6. Gray underhits the 6 and leaves a 3 rail route from 7 to 8 and they fall on the rail side of the black, but perfect. England wins and trail 1-2.

3 minute interval....... England B not looking too dangerous. Got the CB on a soft rope, under-hitting shots and not looking like they want to take on the harder pots. It's been mentioned already that Peach has lost some interest in the game... I think that was a few years ago.

Frame 4: Gray makes the 6 wing ball and falls straight on the 1 ball. Should be no problems here. Stream froze up on the 2 ball. When it comes back, I see Peach miss an 8 into the middle that was a SHOCKER. Missed by 2 inches on the near jaw. Swedes get another easy one to lead 3-1.

Frame 5: Christian slugger makes a wing ball. Tester for 1 to 3 ball.

I like this Sweden team, this young guy has some serious power. He's reminding me of Hatch on some level. This is good stuff.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eng B v Sweden Frames 7 to end

Frame 7: Gray makes 1 in middle. Very fine cut on the 2 ball. He may play safe. Yes, Peach uses a rest and plays safe, but not a good one. Chamat should hook them up now. Wow, he went the bank, kind of like a shot to nothing, but hooks himself on the 3 ball, and wouldn't have got safe anyway. Slugger kicks them open and Gray makes a nice cut on the 3 ball. They are perfectly on line now. An ordinary underhit shot by Peach leaves a long straight 7... Gray nails it smoothly. England clears and leads 4-3.

Frame 8: Peach breaks, it's dry. He hit it too thin. A cut on the 1 but 2 is in bad position. Chamat makes the 1 but doesn't only leaves a corner bank or safe on the 2. A nice safety gets the hook by Christian. They don't really want to hit this 2 ball and open it up. Instead, they knock the 3 toward the 2 ball cluster. Chamat hooks them. On 1 foul. Peach goes up and down and hits the 2 ball and leaves it tied up to the 3. Christian flubbs his safety, leaving an edge on the 2 visible, but Gray leaves the 2 on, then slams his cue to the ground. Sweden should make these last 8 balls.

A little out of line on the 5. A nice shot into the middle by Christian gets them back on line. Sweden clears to draw even at 4-4.

Frame 9: Chamat makes 1 in middle and 4 wing ball. Has a fine cut on the 2 ball... long shot. Slugger tries to spin it in for shape, but hits it thick... needs to study his swerve charts :p . Leaves Gray perfect on the 2 ball. Gray makes the 5 ball into a tight pocket with stun inside 3 rails and nearly scratches. But the 6 was laying in wait, and they roll the rest in. England 5-4.

Frame 10: Gray makes the 3 ball. Peach makes the 1 but overruns the 2 ball. Gray plays a lovely hook shot between 6 and 7 ball. 3 rail escape for Chamat...misses it by about 3mm. Open layout, let's see if they stay on line. Gray a little short on the 5 ball, but on line. Peach draws back good, but almost miscued by the sound. Gray had to carom the 7 but did it perfectly. Peach draws... well, almost stuns back to the 8, but catches the 9 ball. Angle is not too fine on the 8 and Gray wobbles it in. CB still on a rope. England on the hill now 6-4

Frame 11: Peach squirts the CB nearly to center of the rack but still makes the 1 in the middle. Leaves a nice bank for Gray on the 2, which he hammers home. Layout looks pretty easy. Peach wobbles in their hardest shot, the 3 ball hitting it a diamond thick. Gray just gets past the 9 ball to get perfect on the 5. Gray misreads the CB off the 6 in the meiddle, leaving a hard cut on the 7. Peach wobbles it in but leaves another tricky cut on the 8 ball. Gray nails it and got fat on the 9. England B beat Sweden 7-4.

Far from impressive from England B, particularly in regard to CB control.... and that's the end of the Round 1 matches.

Colin

Last edited:

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
All tied at 3 a piece, Peach went with the power break and had great success. Seems like the medium break of Day 2 is being abandoned

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I said this during the 2014 Mosconi and the 2015 China Open and I'll say it again. Without a brea box, SVB's advantage on the break is greatly reduced. The same is true, although perhaps less, for Dechaine, so, though I saw none of the match, I'd have to guess that they didn't outbreak their opponents the way they would with a break box. Invite comments from anyone who saw it. ...

Breaks:

Qatar -- 4 successful (made at least one ball without fouling), 1 dry, 1 scratch

US -- 3 successful, 2 dry, 1 scratch

snucar

World Snucar Champion
Silver Member
Dullest crowd (so to speak, no more than 30 people there) ever, lifeless.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd say USA breking was very good. They were each reading the rack and tending to play the 1 in the side alot.

Qatar played near perfect pool. Their patterns play was terrific. They were the better team. The set wasn't decided by rolls either.

USA left two seperate dead nine ball corner pocket combination shots off thin hit breaks that qatar capitalized on.
IMO they got too fancy with the breaking and with the new cloth, the table wasn't having it.
Qatar didn't try reading the rack, they just broke by hitting full ball and it worked out better for them.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Japan v Netherlands

Niels and Nick v J1 (Crazy funny guy) and J2 (His fun loving sidekick)

Still Races to 7 in the second round

Frame 1: Nick wins lag, as we'd expect. Niels smacks the 1 in middle plus the 3 and 5 ball go in. Not bad on the 2 and positional route ok. Nick nails it. Only problem may be the 8 ball, which is sitting in front of the 9 ball.

Not sure if he went for it, but Niels clips the 8 ball, opening it up much better and gets perfect on the 6. Easy layout now and they run it smooth as silk. Ned 1-0

Frame 2: Nick makes the 1 in the middle. Blocked on the 2 ball it looks like. Niels could see it but missed it, I think because he had to avoid hitting the 3 ball first. Japan has a good chance now. J1 makes the 2 ball and gets on the 3 ball well. J1 gets nice on the 5 ball. Only the 8 to test them, which sits near the 9 again. J2 pumps the 7, leaving a longish cut, or billiard onto the 9. J1 plays the billiard and leaves it 1mm short of the hole. A long bank is all they leave. NVB misses it and scratches. 1-1

With hindsight, I think J2 played for that angle to leave the billiard on the 9 with safety on the 8.

Frame 3: J1 makes the wing ball and finishes nicely on the 1. A billiard from 2 to 4 from J2 leaves a tricky 2 for J1. He makes the cut, using the rest, goes up and down and gets nicely on the 3 ball. They are online with a nice layout now. J2 gets too straight on the 7, leading to a longish 9 ball, but they make it no sweat. Japan leads 2-1

Frame 4: J1 makes 1 in the center and also the 3 ball, but loses the CB and hooks on a 2 ball up the other end. They push out to leave the CB on, but would need to be banked. Neds send them back. The bank safe by J2 catches the 7 ball, leaving Niels a shot with tricky position. Niels misses the 2, focusing on shape too much. He leaves J1 on the 2, but he under hits it and they're into safety now. J2's safe leaves a bank on the 4, duly sunk by NVB. Niels mis-reads the angle off the 5 and scratches... he's not in his zone tonight. Japan clear up in 30 seconds. Japan 3-1 and looking relaxed.

Frame 5: J2 makes the 8 wing ball and was coming down nice for the 1 but scratched in the baulk corner. A little precision needed for this out for Netherlands as 4 balls around the rack area cutting off routes. Niels tries to pump his way out of difficulty but hits the 5 ball, leaving only a bank on it. SVB makes the bank and they should be out, but Niels needs to carom the 7 on. Carom leaves a long 1/2 ball cut for NVB. He hits it in smoothly and they catch some ground to 2-3 down.

Frame 6: Niels smashes them and makes the 2 wing ball. His right eye is getting so far left of the cue, he was sitting 3rd row back in the bleachers for that break shot.

Nick plays something and misses, leaving an easy safe off the 1-ball for J1. Niels gets out of the snooker but leaves a long 1 on down the rail. J2 makes the one, leaves J1 a long thin cut on the 3. He makes it but leaves a jump shot for J2 on the 4 which sits near the middle pocket. He jaws the 4 out and leaves a long cut. Balls are flying in all directions this game. Layout is very tricky for Nick. He makes the 4, is on the 5, but9 and 8 blocking the CB path. Niels gets two kisses on the 8 but keeps nice position on the 6, they should be out now. Netherlands win 3-3

Last edited:

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
There is something to be said for the temperament of this Japan squad. Either they are having way too much fun or there reaction to pressure is to laugh and joke it away. Even when they make mistakes they are supportive of each other. They get my vote for sportsmanship

Kev

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3-1 Japan. Holland should be up 3-1 or 4-0, but Feijen is making a lot of errors is looking out of sorts.

Kev

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is something to be said for the temperament of this Japan squad. Either they are having way too much fun or there reaction to pressure is to laugh and joke it away. Even when they make mistakes they are supportive of each other. They get my vote for sportsmanship

Agree! Nice to see them acknowledge good shots by the opponent (Nick making the 8).

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Netherlands v Japan continued. Score is 3-3. Netherlands won the last frame.

Frame 7: NVB makes the 1,3 and 4 ball and leaves a tricky cut on the 2 ball for Niels. Niels plays for a snooker but banks the 2 into the middle and hooks himself on the 5 ball. NVB kicks the 5 2 rails and leaves a long 5, but shape to the 6 needs power. J1 pounds it in and gets nicely on the 6. J2 with a nice firm stun through across and back to get perfect on the 7 ball, and they run out in style, from a difficult spot. Japan lead 4-3

These guys have got some skills!

Frame 8: J1 makes 3 off the break and is nicely on the 1 ball.
Niels now has a lump in his throat to match the one on the end of his nose :eek:

Oh, I was looking at the 9, not the 1. Japan plays safe. NVB almost banks the 2 ball full table into the 9. A tough 2 left for Japan. J1 plays a lock up safety. Niels shoots a great long 2 railer and gets safety back, though he almost scratched off the 2. Another great lock up behind the 3 for Japan. Nick had to try a 1 rail escape with check and it slides like a B%^$t and he misses by 8 inches. FOUL. J2 pots the 3 and opens up the 4 from a cluster with the 9 ball. J1 makes the thin 4 and they should be out. They are, no sweat either. Japan 5-3

Frame 9: J2 breaks dry, 3 balls collided in the wing jaw and none went. NVB with a tester on the 1, just goes past the 7. He bangs it, misses and leaves Japan hooked and jumping at the 1. J1 hasn't left Niels much. 1 ball is center of the table but pockets are covered. He makes a nice cut into the middle, which I didn't think was on. 2 to 3 is crucial now, sitting at opposite ends of the table. NVB plays it well, caroms the 3 and sets up a combo to the 8 ball. Niels manipulates the combo and shape with skill. Only the 5 to the center stands in their way. Niels gets straight on it, but a little short.. a nerve tester for Nick. He pumps it in and that should be the frame. Quality finish by Nick and Niels takes them to 4-5 down.

Frame 10: Neils makes the wing ball 8. Left only a cut on the 1 ball which Nick hooks up well on. Up and down 1 rail escape and J2 knocks it straight in. A long thing cut on the 2 for .. or a 2-9 combo. J1 plays the combo and misses it by 5 inches. Stream stopped and now Japan has a tricky cut on the 2 ball. Powered in, across and back 3 times to get perfect on the 3 ball. Shot of the match there from J2. They should be out now...... got a bit straight on the 7 ball and J1 fluffs it, leaving a bank... J2 catches the inside middle jaw on the bank. Nick has a tester, but should make it. Was too much for Nick, who jumped on the stroke. Japan punishes the miss with a nice shot and go to the hill. Japan 6-4

Frame 11: J1 creams the break, 1 into middle and a tricky shot on the 2 to 3. He makes it perfectly and not much in their way now except the 8 on the 9, which goes, but might need a controlled carom. Combo to 9 was on I think, but J2 clips the 8 and they lose shape on the 5. Japan recovers with a delicate snooker and leave the CB in the jaws behind the 9 ball. Big jump required. Oh, Nick masse's the shot and hits the 5 leaving a tester of a pot. J2 plays it well but it sits in the jaws. Niels to play the 3 rail shape now and misjudges the rails and gets dead straight on the 7 on the head rail. Nick gets it up table a foot or so, but a long 8 ball left for Niels. Niels earns his pay with a great shot to make the 8, and the Dutch survive a massive scare to be 5-6.

Frame 12: Nick to break. Controlled break makes 1 in the middle and CB and 2 ball gather neatly near the breaking end baulk rail. Niels with a ripper to get perfect on the 3 at the other end of the table. A long 4 is next and is crucial. Niels calls for an extension. 4 wobbles in and the Dutch are still in it. 5 in nice, but had to go up and down, now a cut on the 6 and 3 rails to the 7. They're wrong side of the 7, but still in with a chance. Nice cut on the 7 by Nick and they jsu need a long straight 8 ball. Niels steadily runs it in and Nick and Niels join Japan on the hill. 6-6

Frame 13 (The Decider): Niels to break. YOUCH! Niels plants the 1 into the middle, but the CB slowly tracked to the opposite middle pocket. Layout pretty open for japan but 6 to 7 to 8 could be an issue. J1 almost catches the middle pocket from 4 to 5 but escapes any trouble, leading to a giggle. Well, the 6-7-8 wasn't an issue, because the 7-9 was dead to the corner. Japan wins 7-6.

Up next, England A v Korea. I think I'll watch that one more closely. So maybe others can provide some updates. It's 6.30am where I am, and getting snoozey.

Colin

Last edited:

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
Man, Feijen can't catch a break this year in pool.

Japan up 5-3. Loving their pace and partnership.