WORLD POOL CHAMPIONSHIP (6-10 June2021) Champion $50K

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Yeah, there are still several left that can beat him. I don't think he'll have a 41% chance to win this until he has won both of his Wednesday matches. That said, based on Fargo, he is the only top fifteen ranked player still in the draw, so I think the statement that it is his to lose is a fair one. He's the favorite, but not even close to an odds on favorite, for the title.
I take "it's his to lose" to mean he's practically a cinch to win.

sjm

Sweating it at Derby City
Silver Member
I take "it's his to lose" to mean he's practically a cinch to win.
I think the last time a player was a cinch to win a world championship, his name was Mosconi. Yes, it's that difficult.

sjm

Silver Member
Perhaps Jeremy will make the MC team based on this though i think he is pretty P off about the way he was treated the last time he was a contender. May turn them down.. Clarifier- I have never spoken to him about the issue.
He tends not to play in the Mosconi ranking events, so his only chance would be as a wild card. I doubt he'd get a wild card with less than a trip to the semi-finals in this event, and I'm not even sure that would be enough.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Final 16 stream matches tomorrow:

Francisco Sanchez Ruiz vs. Naoyuki Oi
Skyler Woodward vs. Roberto Gomez

BlueRaider

Registered
Interesting info offered by Shaw in his commentary of Filler vs Oi. He noted, as we've all noticed, that the stream table is playing loose, but he also shared that the outer tables are playing tighter than the stream table.
Could the lights be heating/drying the cloth to the point where balls are dropping slightly easier on it? I can't imagine that the pocket size is different on that table compared to the others.

But the TV table does seem to be playing somewhat easy. It removes a lot of suspense from runouts. On the tight pocket tables, there's a greater chance of a random miss, and also less positional freedom because there's less of a pocket to cheat. With bigger, easier pockets, it seems like the players can get out of line and easily spin/cheat their way back using shots that might not go on the Rassons that Matchroom has used recently.

With there being less of a penalty for playing loose position and having slightly looser mechanics/shotmaking ability, the game devolves even further into a breaking contest IMO.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He tends not to play in the Mosconi ranking events, so his only chance would be as a wild card. I doubt he'd get a wild card with less than a trip to the semi-finals in this event, and I'm not even sure that would be enough.
Do you have a link to the MC ranking events?

sjm

Silver Member
Could the lights be heating/drying the cloth to the point where balls are dropping slightly easier on it? I can't imagine that the pocket size is different on that table compared to the others.

But the TV table does seem to be playing somewhat easy. It removes a lot of suspense from runouts. On the tight pocket tables, there's a greater chance of a random miss, and also less positional freedom because there's less of a pocket to cheat. With bigger, easier pockets, it seems like the players can get out of line and easily spin/cheat their way back using shots that might not go on the Rassons that Matchroom has used recently.

With there being less of a penalty for playing loose position and having slightly looser mechanics/shotmaking ability, the game devolves even further into a breaking contest IMO.
I've heard this before, with the reasoning being that all the extra lighting on the TV table causes the rails to dry out a little, which in turn causes them to slightly deaden, making the table play a little easier. I've never really known whether it was true.

I agree 100% with your analysis of why this cheapens the event, turning it into a breaking contest. Pattern errors are not penalized as they should be, and the straightest shooters are a bit more vulnerable than they would be on tougher equipment, because less elite players are able to keep control of the table more than they could without these easier conditions. Elite pattern play and strong defensive play are far less important than they were at the World Pool Masters.

A field unbecoming of a world championship was an unavoidable problem, and it's extraordinary that Matchroom managed to stage this event at all, but playing conditions that do not befit a world championship could have been avoided.

Matchroom took a giant step forward at the World Pool Masters. They have taken just as big a step backward at the World Championship by loosening the pockets., which has , to some extent, randomized the results. Even they couldn't have imagined that five of the six that came in as top 15 in the world based on Fargo rate would fail to reach the final sixteen, but that's what they've got, perhaps deservingly so.

sjm

Silver Member
Do you have a link to the MC ranking events?
No, I don't. They seem to change all the time. They are usually announced early in the year, but this year, all bets are off as to how the team will be chosen.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Three American players remain in the final 16 of The World 9 Ball Championship.
Shane Vanboening, Sky Woodward and Jeremy Sossei.
Good luck to all three guys. Time for an American World Champion.
GO USA!!!

TxUkUIa.gif

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Call me crazy but if i was a betting guy, I'd take Shane vs the field even money right now.

What is the final race to?

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
SVB will be feeling a ton of pressure. Over the last 4 years he hasn't displayed the hunger he had in prior years. He was talking about retiring in a few years. He doesn't seem to have the same level of passion. But the world championship is the one title he lacks and I'm sure he is hungry for it. With the other pre-tournament favorites knocked out he has to start dealing with expectations and the knowledge that he only has a few realistic swings left at it and this might be his best chance. That type of pressure facing a series of players capable of turning in perfect sets will be a lot to carry. It will be really interesting to see if it weighs him down or brings out his best. I'm rooting for him!

bb9ball

Registered
AZB old timers should be pleased that Marco Teutscher has advanced. I'm pretty sure he's the husband of former and well-liked AZB poster Cris DeLagarza, who dated SVB back in the day.

great memory!

According to this interview in Billiard Buzz, by another old timer from AZB, she was married to Daniel Schneider in October 2019. He competed in this championship.

Reactions: sjm

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SVB will be feeling a ton of pressure. Over the last 4 years he hasn't displayed the hunger he had in prior years. He was talking about retiring in a few years. He doesn't seem to have the same level of passion. But the world championship is the one title he lacks and I'm sure he is hungry for it. With the other pre-tournament favorites knocked out he has to start dealing with expectations and the knowledge that he only has a few realistic swings left at it and this might be his best chance. That type of pressure facing a series of players capable of turning in perfect sets will be a lot to carry. It will be really interesting to see if it weighs him down or brings out his best. I'm rooting for him!
retiring?!?! say it ain't so!

I am rooting for Shane too, but I also have a feeling Skyler could be his opponent in the finals. He seems strong, his last 2 matches started off so-so and then he caught a gear and ran a multipack straight towards the finishline.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
retiring?!?! say it ain't so!

I am rooting for Shane too, but I also have a feeling Skyler could be his opponent in the finals. He seems strong, his last 2 matches started off so-so and then he caught a gear and ran a multipack straight towards the finishline.

look at his eyes, he's not retiring. you can see the fire in him, and with organizers putting more money and more prestige into the events he's gonna want to be the top dog. the turn towards winner breaks suits him too

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
they picked great matches for today. all four players seem red hot atm. slight advantage to sanchez ruiz and woodward respectively