WORLD POOL CHAMPIONSHIP (6-10 June2021) Champion $50K

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
He can't win a tournament if he doesn't enter it.
Not sure what you mean. He's played China and Japan most years .... or are you saying that those events don't count as they are not Matchroom events.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Sossei faces Capito next. As I said earlier, Capito and Yapp are two who could be outpacing notoriety
I'm not too familiar with Capito, but Yapp showed fine form at the 2019 US Open, reaching the knockout stage and losing 11-10 to Alex Pagulayan in the round of 16.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another world champ is out. Niels eliminated by Poland's Tomasz Kaplan.

and of polands strong 9-man team remains only two, kaplan as you mention and fortunski. i'm afraid both risk elimination tonight. was really rooting for zielinski to go through. fortunski is solid but against mario "the wall" he i don't like his chances

(a friend of mine who played mario at the european championships said it was like running into a concrete wall. his real nickname i guess is super mario)

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Derby City?
He's won that one many times. Five times if my memory serves. Not a missing jewel in his crown. Of course, Derby City, an independent event, has fields that are far weaker than what you typically get at the four majors (World Championship, China Open, US Open, All Japan Championship).

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
What a comeback by Finnish youngster Casper Matikainen. He won after being way behind against Zielinski. I think he was down 5-0.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure what you mean. He's played China and Japan most years .... or are you saying that those events don't count as they are not Matchroom events.
I was referring to world championships. My bad 100% for very poor communication.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nowhere near what? DCC is one of toughest events out there. SVB has eight wins there iirc.
No it isn't. That one person has 8 wins is a good indicator that there are tougher tournaments.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Not it isn't. That one person has 8 wins is a good indicator that there are tougher tournaments.
Agreed 100/%. Derby City is a tough event to win, but it's not a major title. To my knowledge, Shane has won the Derby City nine ball five times, not eight. He has, of course won the ten ball and the one pocket, but I think the discussion is nine ball.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Good start to the day for Connecticut.

Jeremy Sossei 11 Kelly Fisher 5. For some reason, they have about the same Fargo, but I was expecting a blowout here. No disrespect to Kelly Fisher, an undisputed superstar in our game, but Sossei went double hill with Van Boening in each of their last two encounters: a) at Turning Stone in January 2020, losing 9-8, and b) at the 2019 Steinway 10-ball Classic in which he also lost 9-8. Let's add that Sossei has two different bronze medals at the Derby City 9-ball event, an event typically featuring a field of about 400 players.. I'd rate Sossei, who plays in chiefly regional events these days, a bit above Billy Thorpe as a nine ball player, but a bit below Skyler Woodward and Justin Bergman. Jeremy is not a contender for the title but he's a super-tough out.

Another Connecticut resident named Jayson Shaw will try his luck against Shane later today, so there's a chance it could be a big day for the state.
Yessir, great pride in CT with having 3 of our boys in WPC action, but unfortunately we lost two now with Lukas Fracasse-Verner and Jayson both knocked out. Yes, we'll claim Jayson since he lives here and has his US1 Billiards in West Haven. :D

Jeremy "The Giant Killer" Sossei has advanced to the round of 32 with today's win over Kelly. He is indeed a "tough out" as world champ David Alcaide can now attest following his last round loss to Jeremy.

Shane is looking like the man to beat and Sky's comeback on Fedor was sensational.

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
AZB old timers should be pleased that Marco Teutscher has advanced. I'm pretty sure he's the husband of former and well-liked AZB poster Cris DeLagarza, who dated SVB back in the day.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yessir, great pride in CT with having 3 of our boys in WPC action, but unfortunately we lost two now with Likas Fracasse-Verner and Jayson both knocked out. Yes, we'll claim Jayson since he lives here and has his US1 Billiards in West Haven. :D

Jeremy "The Giant Killer" Sossei has advanced to the round of 32 with today's win over Kelly. He is indeed a "tough out" as world champ David Alcaide can now attest following his last round loss to Jeremy.

Shane is looking like the man to beat and Sky's comeback on Fedor was sensational.

best,
brian kc

it looks they will put sossei vs capito on the tv table. weird choice to me (who is capito anyway?) when there are so many other great names matching up

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alex Lely either went for cosmetic surgery during the break or this is Alex Lely impersonator :ROFLMAO:
When Michael Bridges was interviewing this guy and said he is talking to Alex Lely, Mosconi Cup captain for Europe, this guy did not even bat an eyelid
alely1 - Copy.JPG

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are better choices for first match (in terms of ranking/strength of players)
Thorsten v Albin
Roberto Gomez v Aloysius Yapp
Mario He v Mieszko Fortunski
Billy Thorpe v Marc B
But as with TV matches, you can watch any match so long as you don't get to choose. :ROFLMAO:

2 - Copy.JPG

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a comeback by Finnish youngster Casper Matikainen. He won after being way behind against Zielinski. I think he was down 5-0.
Yeah. He like to do those.. I play money games with him when i got chance. He was also 9th or 5th 2019 WC 9ball..
He actually seem to be off from form but still he is tough.

Edit. Yeah he was 5th and took down Filler, Albin and lost in last 8, 10-11 to Chang Jun Ling..

Last edited: