WORLD POOL (nineball) CHAMPIONSHIP (6-10 April2022), UK, Winner $60K

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, Accu-stats do a great job with camera angles and Julian may be the best director around. It's on the production and general presentation end that Matchroom is crushing it.

Disagree-Angles don't mean much when the balls are fuzzy or when you cant even get in to the stream in the first place.

Last edited:
Reactions: sjm

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Notice Jay how you highlight the appeal of tactical game over just watching runouts which becomes boring after a while. 9-ball on a speedy cloth with a template is a poor version of pool. The idea of a compulsory push-out as a first shot of every rack is what I tend to like a lot, but doubtful we will ever see such a change.
This has been tried in what was called the "Accu-stats game show", a weekly stream from Sandcastle Billiards in Edison, NJ. At Derby City (approx. 2014), they even had a full sixteen player tournament using this format, with single elimination and race to 1. It was fun, but it was a little slow and it didn't really catch on with the fans.

Like you, I greatly enjoy the tactical game, which you see more of with neutral racker and tighter pockets, both of which I favor.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Slight change in racking -from tomorrow last 16 round, magic rack will not be used
What a relief for the referees. I can not believe they were not equipped with ball markers. That's a world championship, for Lord's sake! And they had to manipulate the obstructing balls with bare hands to remove the template. Just the way you do it in your local poolhall.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pia Filler's storybook tale has come to an end with an 11-2 loss to Mario He. Tough matchup for her.

Unless Shane Wolford can come back from 7-5 down against Masato Yoshioka, SVB will be the only American in the final 32.

BlueRaider

Registered
Pia Filler's storybook tale has come to an end with an 11-2 loss to Mario He. Tough matchup for her.

Unless Shane Wolford can come back from 7-5 down against Masato Yoshioka, SVB will be the only American in the final 32.
Oscar looked to be in very good shape vs Oi, then I came back to check the score and saw he lost hill-hill. Sucks for him, but I also like Oi and wouldn't mind seeing him finally snap off a major.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
very impressed by Wolford's stroke and style of play (y)

unfortunately he hasn't been winning safety battles and is on the ropes 9-7 with Yoshioka running this rack out.

Last edited:

BlueRaider

Registered
shaky. he needs to step it up if he wants to reach final day.

hohmann beating FSR was kind of an upset, especially given FSR's current form
Maybe he'll make me eat my words in this tournament or another major this year, but I think SVB's window for capturing this title or really any other major might be over. He's still a very strong player but the field is simply too strong overall and time isn't on his side anymore.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe he'll make me eat my words in this tournament or another major this year, but I think SVB's window for capturing this title or really any other major might be over. He's still a very strong player but the field is simply too strong overall and time isn't on his side anymore.

I don't think that's out of line. To be fair, even though he does seem to struggle a bit in the later rounds, his opponents (especially the lower ranked ones) really do run good against him. That's a tough combo to fade.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Out of 32 matches in the first round of single elimination, only five upsets (and the last one or two should not really be considered an upset):
Code:
72 points: Lo Ho Sum (747) def. Eklent Kaci (819), 11-7   
36 points: Thorsten Hohmann (786) def. Francisco Sanchez Ruiz (822), 11-6   
36 points: Ronald Regli (780) def. Ko Ping Chung (816), 11-6   
15 points: Dimitri Jungo (773) def. Mieszko Fortunski (788), 11-10   
1 point: Abdullah Alyousef (753) def. Robbie Capito (754), 11-9
The other 27 matches were won by the higher-rated player.