World Snooker Championship - Quality of Play

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it just me, or is the level of play on show this year lacking? I can't get my head around what seems to be missing this year but I've been totally underwhelmed by what I've seen thus far. I'll be there this Wednesday, front row, and I just can't get excited for it because every match I watch there is a distinct lack of world class break building, sloppy safety battles and moaning about the tables.

Thoughts?

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I am waiting for Ronnie O's next match.

I have enjoyed watching the Championship, even though I don't play snooker. I have been trying to learn from the tactical battles and am in awe of what these players can do, both in shot making and safety play. Even their sloppy play is amazing to me. Ronnie O'Sullivan's first match was the best I have watched in this championship.

Hope you get a good show on Wednesday.:thumbup:

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it just me, or is the level of play on show this year lacking? I can't get my head around what seems to be missing this year but I've been totally underwhelmed by what I've seen thus far. I'll be there this Wednesday, front row, and I just can't get excited for it because every match I watch there is a distinct lack of world class break building, sloppy safety battles and moaning about the tables.

Thoughts?

It is you... again... as always.

Past time to turn in your troll hat pidginboy.

Dale(captain of the troll police)

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member

Thoughts?

I think it may just be the matches you've seen. According to cuetracker, the players as a whole are averaging a 50+ break every 1.96 frames. Last year it finished at 1.95 and the year before that at 2.07. The best year was 2011 with 1.88. Compare that with even just 2001 where the average was a 50+ break every 6.12 frames.

I did however agree until I checked the stats as I had seem some very nervy sessions. But I enjoy those sometimes more than the superhuman break building contests.

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Table 1 is giving players problems - kicks, unreliable cushions

Centuries running at a record clip.

Underdogs have knocked out some big guns in the first round:
Neil Robertson
Stuart Bingham
Shaun Murphy
Stephen Maguire

So the underdogs have made it into the second round.

Should improve on Saturday :grin:

Hawkins vs O'Sullivan
Walden vs Higgins

Sunday
Trump vs Ding
Allen vs Wilson

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member

Thoughts?

Where are they playing?

I heard it said that there is location where the main table is not far from a window wall that made playing top notch extremely difficult.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Table 1 is giving players problems - kicks, unreliable cushions

I was watching Ronnie v David Gilbert the other day and recall the announcers saying that table would get new cloth and possibly new slates right away. Hopefully I recall correctly.

Dave

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Where are they playing?

I heard it said that there is location where the main table is not far from a window wall that made playing top notch extremely difficult.

:confused: hmmmm ... where it has been held every year for almost 40 years ... at the Crucible Theatre in Sheffield.

Dave

The only windows I recall at the Crucible were the betting windows.

I didn't exactly put them on the verge of bankruptcy ...
...but I think they were happy when I left.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
:confused: hmmmm ... where it has been held every year for almost 40 years ... at the Crucible Theatre in Sheffield.

Dave

I am not a snooker fan.

I thought it went to different clubs like The Open goes to different courses.

SORRY.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member

Eh? Pidge, a troll? You MUST be kidding! How is it trolling to comment on this years championship, anyways? Everyone I've talked to have agreed that there is something going on this year. Very surprising upsets and tables that appear to be playing funny. People making these comments are not just casual viewers, but very skilled players in their own right, which, btw Pidge is as well.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

In a thread a while ago about most useful posters or some such...
...many AZers gave Pidge the top spot....for being helpful.

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of the matches have been sub par in my view. Lots of easy pots missed, and not a lot of wins in one visit. Other matches were good, so for me it has been a very much mixed bag, but over all, too many easy pots being missed.

Another thing I noticed on table one is the pockets on the rack end of the table seem to be much more forgiving than in the past. The announcer made mention of this in one of the matches.

I want to watch Ronnie in the morning on live stream and see how he does.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The standard has been so high in recent years that anything a little off that standard will look bad. As we all know, regardless of which cue (or other) sport we play, playing consistently at your highest level month on month and year on year is impossible.

O'SulliReyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This just in: 1994 Masters Champion Alan McManus has just beaten Ali Carter. Totally did not expect that result.

The most surprising thing for me at this year's World Championship is that some top contenders for the title are already out this early: Neil Robertson, Shaun Murphy and Stuart Bingham. And you're seeing journeymen like Sam Baird, Michael Holt and Anthony McGill giving the top players a harder time. And I don't think that's because the upper top 16 are slacking off--it only means that the overall standard of play has increased amongst the pros. The lesser players are catching up with the big boys, so to speak.

Certainly the quality of play in this year's championship has been rather disappointing. I guess we need to wait until the tournament goes to a one-table setup.

Last edited:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've noticed they have streaming from two tables daily for a reasonable cost.

Has anyone streamed this and how is the service?

And it appears their fixtures we're unavailable. Is Ronnny O playing?

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I've noticed they have streaming from two tables daily for a reasonable cost.

Has anyone streamed this and how is the service?

And it appears their fixtures we're unavailable. Is Ronnny O playing?
I am watching on this link. I have add blocker installed and could be a factor in making this one work.

http://www.stream2watch.co/live-now...hampionship-snooker-2016-live-stream-april-23

Ronnie O'Sullivan and Barry Hawkins just finished the first set and Barry leads 5-3. The next matches begin at the top of the hour(about 10 minutes)

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BBC Schedule
http://www.bbc.com/sport/snooker

BBC 1 & 2 Links - in text
http://robssatellitetv.com/watch-live-tv-online

Eurosport Snooker
http://tv.eurosport.co.uk/search.shtml?query=snooker

This link is about as good as any, and has bee mentioned by other posters.
http://www.stream2watch.me/snooker

Try all links;
Some do not like ad blockers
Won't show picture immediately.

The play is now best of 25 over 3 sessions, so it is possible that a third session is not needed, or might be very short.

The info site - in Finland - minus 6 hours to get EDT.
http://www.snooker.org/res/index.asp?template=24&event=416