Worst or gayest pool things ever

enzo

Banned
Jimmy M. said:
"Gay" only means homosexual because that's the slang meaning that people gave it at one time. The word "Gay" itself doesn't mean "Homosexual". Of course, now the dictionary does provide "homosexual" as one of the definitions of the word "gay". The new slang meaning is a younger generation thing, I believe. I hear many teenagers use the word "gay" for something that "sucks" (more slang). Like, "that's so gay!" would equate to what us old 30-something-year-olds might express by saying, "that sucks!". You don't have to like the slang word, but it's definitely out there and in use. If you want to flame the people in this thread who have used it in this context, you might as well go on a crusade around the country because it's being used like this everywhere among young people.

you don't need to rethink anything, you have no idea how right you are, it's every person's right to remain uneducated and illiterate sounding.

the fact is, your post says that people should not be outraged by the use of this word simply because there are a large number of teenage kids that frequently use the word, and nobody will be able to stop this. well, there are many words that kids use that we can't or don't use in these forums, and this should be one of them, but isn't yet. that's really ok by me, you will just be seen as a "backwater" thinker if you continue to think this way, which, as you say, you are more than welcome to do.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
enzo said:
you don't need to rethink anything, you have no idea how right you are, it's every person's right to remain uneducated and illiterate sounding.

the fact is, your post says that people should not be outraged by the use of this word simply because there are a large number of teenage kids that frequently use the word, and nobody will be able to stop this. well, there are many words that kids use that we can't or don't use in these forums, and this should be one of them, but isn't yet. that's really ok by me, you will just be seen as a "backwater" thinker if you continue to think this way, which, as you say, you are more than welcome to do.

Very well said Enzo... if you axe me :D . Reps for you.

Last edited:

sky..

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
enzo said:

From what I understood from Jimmy posts was:

Homosexuals hi-jacked the word "gay" to mean something other than the original meaning (happy). Now, a different crowd hi-jacking the same word to mean something else.

Bastian

Sleepy
Silver Member
So who's 'Gregory' and why did he leave me negative rep for this thread? With no comment? If I've offended, somehow, I'd like to know why or how. I would like to hear how my 'free will' ideology could be offensive. If it seriously upset someone enough to leave negative rep, then there must be something I'm not considering.. any explanation would be greatly appreciated.

crosseyedjoe

Anywhere but here
Silver Member
Bastian said:
So who's 'Gregory' and why did he leave me negative rep for this thread? With no comment? If I've offended, somehow, I'd like to know why or how. I would like to hear how my 'free will' ideology could be offensive. If it seriously upset someone enough to leave negative rep, then there must be something I'm not considering.. any explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Fascinating isn't it. You're complaining that someone got offended.

MikeM

Pool Lover
Silver Member
Omg...

sky.. said:
From what I understood from Jimmy posts was:

Homosexuals hi-jacked the word "gay" to mean something other than the original meaning (happy). Now, a different crowd hi-jacking the same word to mean something else.

...just checked back in on this thread and there seems to be no progress. :p

Let me try it this way. Suppose the "young crowd" started using a phrase...let's say "pool player" for things that they thought were bad or unpleasant. They're watching the news and see a clip on a carjacking and they say that's so "pool player", a child molester story comes on and they say, "what a pool player", a crooked politician story evokes the same response, "he's a pool player too".

Pretty soon it becomes ingrained into the culture, on The Entourage, Johnny Drama calls the LA crackheads pool players, right wing politicians warn against our youth becoming pool players, on internet forums people post "what the worst or poor playerest thing you've ever witnessed?".

As a "pool player" you would laugh at first knowing that "pool plaer" doesn't equal bad, but over time as more and more people casually refer to bad people as "pool players" wouldn't that make you angry "because that is offensive to me and you're branding an entire culture as bad which is wrong"? And wouldn't you expect them to stop once you have pointed out that it is offensive to them? Wouldn't you become even more upset if they continued the disrespect even after you asked them to stop because they say "everyone says it so it's ok"?

Get it yet?!?:eek:

MM...this whole thread is so GAY!;) :D :eek:

Bastian

Sleepy
Silver Member
crosseyedjoe said:
Fascinating isn't it. You're complaining that someone got offended.

Fascinating indeed!
But I'm actually complaining that someone got offended enough to leave negative rep, but not even attempt to educate me as to the nature of the offense by even including a comment or posting here to let me know what they disagree with.

This actually supports my entire stance on the topic.. everyone's entitled to get offended by anything, it's the action they take as a result that can be deemed right or wrong, in my opinion. In this case, Gregory got offended, but felt a need to take 'action' as a result of that.. therein lies the very crux of the nature of this discussion.

BazookaJoe

Destroyer of stickers
Silver Member
I'll pretty much use any word in any context I please. I really don't give a crap if it offends anyone. Though I am normally a really unoffensive person, tell me I can't do something and I usually will end up doing just that. So, some of y'all need to stop being so gay.

seymore15074

So what are you saying?
Silver Member
BazookaJoe said:
I'll pretty much use any word in any context I please. I really don't give a crap if it offends anyone. Though I am normally a really unoffensive person, tell me I can't do something and I usually will end up doing just that. So, some of y'all need to stop being so gay.

Same here. The reality is that no matter what you do say, and what your intentions are (or are not) someone somewhere will take offense to it. So it's not worth loosing sleep over it.

The real problem is more on the people who take offense to something. Words are just words, there is no reason to think differently.

crosseyedjoe

Anywhere but here
Silver Member
seymore15074 said:
Same here. The reality is that no matter what you do say, and what your intentions are (or are not) someone somewhere will take offense to it. So it's not worth loosing sleep over it.

The real problem is more on the people who take offense to something. Words are just words, there is no reason to think differently.

Words have meaning (denotes and connotes). . .

Last edited:

crosseyedjoe

Anywhere but here
Silver Member
BazookaJoe said:

I'm calling you out now, you can't be gay. :D

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
BazookaJoe said:

I'm tempted to suggest you try out that philosophy with a field trip to Harlem and some "I'll say what I want" experimentation with a certain word starting with N, but I don't want you to get hurt, nor do I want the fine residents of Harlem to be subjected to such a thing.

Some of y'all need to stop being so defensive about your use of offensive language, and instead STOP USING OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE. Of course you're entitled to your right to free speech, but just because your speech has guaranteed freedom doesn't mean there aren't things you shouldn't say, and it doesn't mean that someone who points out to you why you shouldn't say something is infringing on your rights. Sometimes, as in this case, they're just talking sense.

-Andrew

crosseyedjoe

Anywhere but here
Silver Member
Alex Kanapilly said:
LOL. That's funny.

I understand both sides of this completely. Language evolves quickly.

From now on, bumping thread will be synonymous to Alex Kanapilly. :D

I will kanapilly this thread.

Jager85

Registered
BazookaJoe said:
Yes, this is the gayest thing ever. Right along side is the cue with the flickering light in the butt.

Gloves? Well, when you do use a house cue, and the dern shaft has 1/2 inch of lacquer, you'd better have a glove handy.
House cues? Well, from what I understand, Bugs Rucker almost always played with one off the wall.

So, if John Shmidt or Charlie Bryant walks in, puts on a glove, and grabs a cue off the wall; just remember to call them gay as they walk out with all of your cash.
This looks more like a feminine toy...

PROG8R

Gator Nation
Silver Member
PROG8R said:
I am not homo, and just to be clear on this I do not study homos, but from what I have read they actually applied the word to themselves and that took it out of its original context. So if someone were to use it as it was orinally set, then I could see, I guess, how that could make a GAY person who is trying to be PC upset.
BNALL, Say you are sorry!!

OK,

Hold on a minute, why did this get me a negative rep point? I should get + rep points if anything for trying to help disolve the situation.
I thought I was fairly PC in trying to explain the issue, maybe it was the abreviation I used, that is pitty man.

Bastian

Sleepy
Silver Member
I got negative rep in this thread for saying everyone should be free to think as they please.. They should just watch how they act on those thoughts. I even stated that I hope society advances to a point where homophobia goes away. I don't use the word 'gay', even stated that in a post here.. I've never thought of myself as homophobic either, nor have ever been derogatory towards members of the gay community.. it's amazing to me, that somehow this got me negative rep.

If that negative rep came from a homophob, though, I'm fine with it.. but if someone actually took offense, especially a member of the gay community, then I'm seriously confused.

sky..

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MikeM said:
...just checked back in on this thread and there seems to be no progress. :p

Let me try it this way. Suppose the "young crowd" started using a phrase...let's say "pool player" for things that they thought were bad or unpleasant. They're watching the news and see a clip on a carjacking and they say that's so "pool player", a child molester story comes on and they say, "what a pool player", a crooked politician story evokes the same response, "he's a pool player too".

Pretty soon it becomes ingrained into the culture, on The Entourage, Johnny Drama calls the LA crackheads pool players, right wing politicians warn against our youth becoming pool players, on internet forums people post "what the worst or poor playerest thing you've ever witnessed?".

As a "pool player" you would laugh at first knowing that "pool plaer" doesn't equal bad, but over time as more and more people casually refer to bad people as "pool players" wouldn't that make you angry "because that is offensive to me and you're branding an entire culture as bad which is wrong"? And wouldn't you expect them to stop once you have pointed out that it is offensive to them? Wouldn't you become even more upset if they continued the disrespect even after you asked them to stop because they say "everyone says it so it's ok"?

Get it yet?!?:eek:

MM...this whole thread is so GAY!;) :D :eek:

Except that "pool players" really did mean pool players from the beginning, while "Gay" was of a different meaning and got jacked by homosexuals.

PROG8R

Gator Nation
Silver Member
Bastian said:
I got negative rep in this thread for saying everyone should be free to think as they please.. They should just watch how they act on those thoughts. I even stated that I hope society advances to a point where homophobia goes away. I don't use the word 'gay', even stated that in a post here.. I've never thought of myself as homophobic either, nor have ever been derogatory towards members of the gay community.. it's amazing to me, that somehow this got me negative rep.

If that negative rep came from a homophob, though, I'm fine with it.. but if someone actually took offense, especially a member of the gay community, then I'm seriously confused.
Then this one is for you. +

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
sky.. said:
Except that "pool players" really did mean pool players from the beginning, while "Gay" was of a different meaning and got jacked by homosexuals.

So how would it change things if "pool players" were originally some kind of kitchen implement, but the term hasn't been used that way since us guys with cue sticks started using it for ourselves? Would that no longer give us the right to be angry that we're now being equated with all that is wrong, bad, weak, or objectionable?

-Andrew