Would you buy an Olhausen pool table?

Antfarm

PRAGMATIC PONTIFICATOR
Silver Member
My parents have an Olhausen Americana

(http://www.olhausenbilliards.com/OL...prod_keyword/americana_americana_ii/gr_id/24/)

They have said that I can have it and I know it is in good condition with decent Simonis 860 on it. Unfortunately, it's only an 8 footer. But is it a quality table that I'm going to be happy with?

I've always wanted a 9 foot Gold Crown. Would you just buy your own table or accept the Olhausen? I'm not strapped for money so it isn't a money issue.

r,

Greg

BlackMamba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Olhausen tables are pretty decent tables in my experience. With the Simonis it should play really well if its been taken care of. The only real question is if you would be happy with 8 feet instead of 9.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I was kind of in your shoes (except no one was offering me a free table). But I went with a Gold Crown even though I could have gotten an "O" for less. I could afford it and the fact of the matter is that's what I really wanted. Since money isn't an issue, get the table you really really desire. You're going to have it for a long time so make yourself happy.

Antfarm

PRAGMATIC PONTIFICATOR
Silver Member
I was kind of in your shoes (except no one was offering me a free table). But I went with a Gold Crown even though I could have gotten an "O" for less. I could afford it and the fact of the matter is that's what I really wanted. Since money isn't an issue, get the table you really really desire. You're going to have it for a long time so make yourself happy.

That's what I'm kind of thinking. I would have a hard time taking it from my parents and then selling it. I wouldn't want to offend them. I just don't really want an 8 footer and I want a ball return table, not drop pockets.

thanks

Greg

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
That's what I'm kind of thinking. I would have a hard time taking it from my parents and then selling it. I wouldn't want to offend them. I just don't really want an 8 footer and I want a ball return table, not drop pockets.

thanks

Greg

Save a few bucks and a major hassle. Get what you want the first time!
I purchased a nine foot Olhausen and kept it for 14 years, it played fine but fine was not what I wanted. The longer I kept that table the more I avoided playing on it. I finaly bought a Diamond and have never looked back (untill just now).;)

ArizonaPete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just say thanks to your parents but you really want a Gold Crown. Perhaps they can sell it to some friends and go on a cruise ith the money. Get what you want because you won't be happy otherwise.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Sadly... Yes I would buy an Olhausen... Matter of fact I bought an 8 foot table and stuck it my basement because it was available and I didn't do the due diligence to find what I really wanted....

Now if the question was would you buy an Olhausen again? Hell no..... For 9 years my olhausen was used for nothing but folding clothes.... I have used it for drills in the last few months but every time I am on it all I can think was I wish it was a 9ft Diamond or even a tightened up gold crown......

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

(http://www.olhausenbilliards.com/OL...prod_keyword/americana_americana_ii/gr_id/24/)

They have said that I can have it and I know it is in good condition with decent Simonis 860 on it. Unfortunately, it's only an 8 footer. But is it a quality table that I'm going to be happy with?

I've always wanted a 9 foot Gold Crown. Would you just buy your own table or accept the Olhausen? I'm not strapped for money so it isn't a money issue.

r,

Greg

No, you don't want it. It's not for serious pool players. Olhausen's can be made good if they're re-worked but an 8 footer when you want a 9 just won't cut it. It's a nice recreational furniture table but you'll tire of it soon enough, then you'll have to get rid of it.

If you have space, get yourself a decent 9' table and have it set up the right way - you'll be spoiled for life.

Last edited:

billy bones

billy bones
Silver Member
Buy ?

r,

Greg

The title asks would I buy an Olhausen pool table. That is followed by your parents apparently being willing to give you this table. Those are 2 different things.

To answer the original question, no I would not buy an Olhausen pool table. There are better tables on the market. Once I have determined that I am willing to make this sort of purchase, I would also be willing to reserve enough funds to purchase what I actually want. For me that would be a superior product to Olhausen.

I have played on Olhausens before, the way they play is acceptable but certainly not memorable. JOB's in Nashville had them in the back room. I walked in one day as they were recovering the tables. I walked over and observed for a while. What I noticed was all the wood, including supports were made out of particle board. Not what I consider quality materials or craftmanship.

Are Olhausen's Ok? Sure. Is OK good enough if I am shelling out a good amount of money? The answer to that is a very simple "NO". Granted that Olhausen may have better quality tables than the ones I saw at JOB's. Everything is relative. I would spend my money elsewhere. Just my perspective.

Just a thought here if your not strapped for cash & can afford a table of your choosing, why not accept the table from your parents and donate it to a youth center, senior citizens center or like option? Anyway good luck whatever you decide to do. ;)

Good luck & good pool,

Billy Bones :thumbup:

laserbrn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope. Since the question is would I take it....the answer is no.

Someone offered me a decent free 8 foot table and I turned him away. You can find a GC nowadays for next to nothing. The real money in whatever table you want is going to come in the setup.

I found a Gold Crown in decent shape, then found the best mechanic I could find to set it up for me. All new cushions, recalibrated rails, tightened pockets and new cloth a FULL day of setup and leveling and it plays like no table I've ever played on before.

I spent more on the setup and "restoration" than I did on the table. All of that money would be wasted on an olhausen table, and especially on an 8 foot table.

I'm not saying Olhausen doesn't make quality tables, they do, they just aren't "competitive" types of tables and I really wanted a Gold Crown.

SuzieQ

Registered
Be happy

Bite the bullet, buy what you want and buy quality and you'll still be using the item long after you've forgotten the price! Are you sure you want the ball return, it's noisy and hard on the ball finish. First table had ball return and couldn't wait until I got drop pockets. Just my thoughts, it's your $ .
Be happy!

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Greg;

You said you are not strapped for money and that you would prefer a 9 foot table.

That pretty much ends the debate right there, no?

Don't sell yourself short! Or, buy yourself short, actually. ;)

Get the Diamond or Gold Crown you've been dreaming of.

You'll be happy you did, for years to come.

Best,
Brian kc

King Hester

Sharp Shooter
Silver Member
OK, I'm going to be one of the few that loves his Olhausen 9 ft. table. I've played on a 9 and 7 diamond and they are better. In my opinion, the gold crown 3 and 4 are not better than my table. I've played on gold crowns and my table has better rails. If you have the cash.. Diamond is the way to go, but don't think for one minute that Olhausen with 760 isn't as good as a gold crown.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
OK, I'm going to be one of the few that loves his Olhausen 9 ft. table. I've played on a 9 and 7 diamond and they are better. In my opinion, the gold crown 3 and 4 are not better than my table. I've played on gold crowns and my table has better rails. If you have the cash.. Diamond is the way to go, but don't think for one minute that Olhausen with 760 isn't as good as a gold crown.

Thats way cool you like your table, like I said Olhausens play fine. The biggest complaint I had with mine was narrow rails, as my game advanced I started to appreciate bridging on wide rails.

Soft pocket facings can cause the object ball to rattle on shots that were hit well and with my table that was the case on hard hit shots that were near the rail.

maxeypad2007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Absolutely not

Buy a diamond, gabriels or gold crown and be done with it. You won't be happy with anything else.

Make sure to get a table that you have plenty of room to shoot with. Don't get a 9' unless you truly have enough room with absolutely no obstacles.

Hambone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have played on Olhausens before, the way they play is acceptable but certainly not memorable. JOB's in Nashville had them in the back room. I walked in one day as they were recovering the tables. I walked over and observed for a while. What I noticed was all the wood, including supports were made out of particle board. Not what I consider quality materials or craftmanship.

JOB's never had any Olhausens. You are thinking of the Kassons.

Antfarm

PRAGMATIC PONTIFICATOR
Silver Member
The title asks would I buy an Olhausen pool table. That is followed by your parents apparently being willing to give you this table. Those are 2 different things.

To answer the original question, no I would not buy an Olhausen pool table. There are better tables on the market. Once I have determined that I am willing to make this sort of purchase, I would also be willing to reserve enough funds to purchase what I actually want. For me that would be a superior product to Olhausen.

Are Olhausen's Ok? Sure. Is OK good enough if I am shelling out a good amount of money? The answer to that is a very simple "NO". Granted that Olhausen may have better quality tables than the ones I saw at JOB's. Everything is relative. I would spend my money elsewhere. Just my perspective.

Just a thought here if your not strapped for cash & can afford a table of your choosing, why not accept the table from your parents and donate it to a youth center, senior citizens center or like option? Anyway good luck whatever you decide to do. ;)

Good luck & good pool,

I would take the table and donate it. That would be a great idea. But that would mean driving to Florida from Maryland and then donating it.

I'll probably justtell my parents to sell it or donate it. I want my GC!

Thanks for the opinions guys!

R,

Greg

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
I owned an Olhausen and it was a very very nice table.. BUT.. at the time, I would have just gotten a Diamond as I have now..

The Olhausen was nice, played tough and I had simonis on it but my Diamond is my dream table..

With all of that said, an 8' Olhausen is a quality table but get what you want if you can afford it..

JUSTABANGER 2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats way cool you like your table, like I said Olhausens play fine. The biggest complaint I had with mine was narrow rails, as my game advanced I started to appreciate bridging on wide rails.

Soft pocket facings can cause the object ball to rattle on shots that were hit well and with my table that was the case on hard hit shots that were near the rail.

i had a 7 footer i liked it at first but got tried on rattling ball that should have went down.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I did buy an Olhausen 8 footer--its the biggest table that had any chance of fitting the room I had to hold a pool table.

However, I bought from the higher end of their brand (solid hardwood:: cherry) and watch as it was installed (2 years ago). The slate backing supports were something more like poplar, were not anything like particle board or pine/fir. I suspect the lower 2 tiers do use the least expensive unseen wood byproducts, don't know about the one immediately below minie, but at the top end of the "furnature tables" they actually use quality stuff--maybe not GC5 quality stuff, but it is not as bad as stated--depending on what part of the hierarchy you buy into.

I put 760 on this table because I wanted the high speed to work on my delicasy. I still enjoy playing on it to this day, although I have had to make a couple subtle modifications to how the rails are attached so they stay perfectly normal to the table (ball bounces straight) and the rail bolts don't loosten up (and don't warp the slates either.)

I have greatly enjoyed this table, and playing on it has greatly improved my game.