Would You

mjkeil62

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a question for y'all. If you had a 30+ year old NOS cue that you were able to purchase would you use it to shoot or would it just be to add to your collection and stay perfect? This would have to be a stick that meets your specks and not one that doesn't but you always wanted one by that cue maker. Also I'm not talking about test hitting it with no chalk. What I'm getting at is would you throw it in your bag and maybe use it as your go to stick. Furthermore I'm not talking about a mass produced cue, a cue that was made by a reputable individual. Really interested in what you have to say. I already know my answer. Thanks for your responses in advance, Mike.

daphish1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a question for y'all. If you had a 30+ year old NOS cue that you were able to purchase would you use it to shoot or would it just be to add to your collection and stay perfect? This would have to be a stick that meets your specks and not one that doesn't but you always wanted one by that cue maker. Also I'm not talking about test hitting it with no chalk. What I'm getting at is would you throw it in your bag and maybe use it as your go to stick. Furthermore I'm not talking about a mass produced cue, a cue that was made by a reputable individual. Really interested in what you have to say. I already know my answer. Thanks for your responses in advance, Mike.

I wouldn't buy a cue that I wouldn't play with. I think its sacrilegious to not play pool with a pool cue.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My current playing cue was made about 1980/81. I got it a few years ago. I didn't intend to play it primarily but I dig it so much. So, I use it most of the time.

So...yes...if you want to play it, then play it.

I have many cues though and enjoy playing with any one of them. But as far as regular play? Would I do that? Yes, and I have.

If you like it, use it.

I still view my old Joss as my primary player but it is sort of semi-retired.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
People buy things that they never dream of using because it would lower the value.
I myself buy the lesser grades of a collectible so I can use it.

I have a 115 year old Winchester Lever Action that's graded at 45% that I shoot on a regular basis. You couldn't do that with a 80%+ specimen.

The same with a cue. I like to use it so I buy a more road worn example.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nah don't use it. Run it halfway thru the wall between kitchen/den or living/dining room. Either room folks could see it & you can make up stories about it. Hang pics of grandkids from one side & have a couple small animals perched on other side !

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People buy things that they never dream of using because it would lower the value.
I myself buy the lesser grades of a collectible so I can use it.

I have a 115 year old Winchester Lever Action that's graded at 45% that I shoot on a regular basis. You couldn't do that with a 80%+ specimen.

The same with a cue. I like to use it so I buy a more road worn example.

I bought a 25 year old unchalked NOS cue with two original shafts. Chalked it and played the hell out of it...and yes I chalked and played both shafts.

To me condition is everything. The closer to perfect the better. I don't mind a road worn cue and I do have numerous. But given the choice I'll take a perfect unrefinished original first. And I have some of those 60 years old and more. And I do play them.

A couple years ago I found a 1978 Ducati still in the crate. Never had fuel in it. It was just as it was shipped. Never titled. I tried hard to get that bike but missed out on it. I would have uncrated it, done the final assembly, titled it, registered it, fueled it, and ridden it. As it is I hear it went into a collection and is staying in the crate.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't buy a cue that I wouldn't play with. I think its sacrilegious to not play pool with a pool cue.

Bingo!

I dont buy anything to put in a display case, or sit in the closet. To each their own, but I buy to use period. :grin-square:

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Finding a 30+ year old NOS anything makes for an awesome gift.

...and hope the recipient would use the heck out of it.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Who's the maker?

If it were unused, rare and collectible (or potentially collectible in the future) I would keep it that way. If it were common, then it's value is more as a player than a collectible and I would play it.

Yotehntr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd play the heck out of it! I bought a "safe queen" Cooper rifle from a guy. It'd been in his safe in the original box for better than 20 years. I measured the chamber loaded some cartriges for it and shot it that weekend.

It's like a pretty girl, do you put them up or take 'em out and play with 'em. ;)

mjkeil62

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just so y'all know I do play with the older cues I pick up if they have already been used or not. I decided to do this thread because my brother thinks I'm crazy to shoot with a cue if it is old or higher priced. It's real funny when I hand him the cues so he can shoot with them to feel the difference in how the hit feels. He acts like they are made out of glass. On more than one occasion when he has done this I will break with the cue next chance I get just to show him it's okay to shoot with. And I'm definitely going to enjoy them...can't take em with me when I'm dead.

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All depends on your cash! If you can afford luxuries that only look good then do it. Or if you can afford to buy something collectible and use it, then go for it! This is a simple one, do what you want lol

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

sorry i havent read all the responces but what does NOS cue mean?????:confused:

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
sorry i havent read all the responces but what does NOS cue mean?????:confused:
In an ad you will see.....

NOS - New, Old Stock
NWT - New, With Tags
NWOT - New, Without Tags
Shop Worn or Display
Demo Worn