wow SVB forfeits match vs Alcano

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
Shane is out. Lost to Christian Gariando 9-7.
Dont worry Shane, you're in the Philippines. You'll never run out of action. :grin-square:

10417464_674732989291567_5465329297286939395_n.jpg

10850033_674732842624915_8027137631267778319_n.jpg

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Christopher Clark was there with Shane and Jay here is what he said happened---"The REF he did not even want to call a foul it was Alcano who jumped out of his chair and called it, he felt the heat at 4 -5 Shane with break in hand"
If that is true and he should know he was right there watching in person that is a real BS move from Alcano.

Capture.JPG

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never saw the Ref looked at Alcano. he quickly raise his arms after the shot. There was no audio how did you know Alcano spoke? How did you know that SVB did not say anything when he sunk the previous ten ball? How did you know he did not say " Corner pocket". And on his second win he pointed at the corner pocket. So he knew the rule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9ZrFBWjrKk

It's pretty clear that Shane did not call his pocket on his first or third win, (49.50) and (1:11.50) On the first one you can see Shane clearly, He said nothing, and called nothing. Why didn't the ref call this? Because Alcano had not told him to yet. Same thing with his third win, he did not call it, ref did nothing.

Now after Shane's fourth win at (1:25) Alcano stands up, the ref's eyes follow the ball in, then he clearly looks at Alcano and then makes the call.

Ref doesn't make the call in two of Shane's previous wins, but does later in the match. It doesn't take a genius to know Alcano talked to the ref. So Alcano has changed what the ref has done previously. In effect Alcano is now the new referee.

In all fairness, if you have set a precedent by not calling it on two of Shane's previous wins, and his opponent complains and tells the ref to call it, then the very least that should have been done is to warn Shane that although the calls were not made earlier, I will have to call it because Alcano whined about it and it is a rule.

Last edited:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane is out. Lost to Christian Gariando 9-7.
Dont worry Shane, you're in the Philippines. You'll never run out of action. :grin-square:

View attachment 366711

View attachment 366712

Shane has lots of free time now , tomorrow is free day and Doubles event only start from 13 Dec Sat
Many pinoys will willing play him
For some reason , I want to see that wonderkid Anton Raga (who just KO Thorsten ) play Shane
:)

Christopher Clark was there with Shane and Jay here is what he said happened---"The REF he did not even want to call a foul it was Alcano who jumped out of his chair and called it, he felt the heat at 4 -5 Shane with break in hand"
If that is true and he should know he was right there watching in person that is a real BS move from Alcano.

View attachment 366713

But if you look at the referee's face and body language after Shane forfeited , he looked like frightened rabbit trying to explain to everyone.
It could be that he is hesitant of taking on a big name and not a firm referee . If it was Michaela Tabb and the rule is must call 10 ball, she would have called out Shane in 1st game that Shane won .
So it could be that Ronnie was just pushing a weak referee to do something he should have done earlier :)

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
@punter, alcano may have called the referee's attention and asked why he's not taking action everytime shane shoots the 10 without calling it.

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
Shane has lots of free time now , tomorrow is free day and Doubles event only start from 13 Dec Sat
Many pinoys will willing play him
For some reason , I want to see that wonderkid Anton Raga (who just KO Thorsten ) play Shane
:)

a raga vs svb match would be awesome. raga won over alcano twice in money games, giving the world champion 9-10 handicap. remember, he won against alex last week, 3 times, 17-5, 21-14, 21-14. :grin-square:

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
@punter, alcano may have called the referee's attention and asked why he's not taking action everytime shane shoots the 10 without calling it.

That's what I said above. So, ref did not call it on two of Shane's previous wins, and after Alcano complains to him, he changes mid match and starts calling it differently because one of the players asked him to. Shane should have been warned. It is a BS move.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a raga vs svb match would be awesome. raga won over alcano twice in money games, giving the world champion 9-10 handicap. remember, he won against alex last week, 3 times, 17-5, 21-14, 21-14. :grin-square:

Haven't seen Raga play
Do you think he needs to get some weight from Shane ?
If he beats Ronnie giving weight and Alex even , I am guessing if Raga gets weight from Shane , he should beat Shane quite easily Muahahaha :)

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are playing by WPA rules which states the Ten ball must be called! It was announced this way at the players meeting, which Shane failed to attend. I think the official and the TD made the right call here. If they had given Shane a break, then any player who didn't call the Ten would say Shane got a break, so why not me too? You CANNOT favor the top players when running a tournament. It's that simple. Shane KNOWS he is responsible for this and that's why he came back and played his match later.

This should be the end of the thread. Shane did not attend the player meeting and did not know the rules of the tournament. Nobody else can be blamed for what Shane failed to do.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

and the circle of pool continues.......

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Jay I have to correct you here because that's NOT what the WPA rules states...

They are playing by WPA rules which states the Ten ball must be called! It was announced this way at the players meeting, which Shane failed to attend. I think the official and the TD made the right call here. If they had given Shane a break, then any player who didn't call the Ten would say Shane got a break, so why not me too? You CANNOT favor the top players when running a tournament. It's that simple. Shane KNOWS he is responsible for this and that's why he came back and played his match later.

"9.5 Call Shots & Pocketing Balls
Whenever the shooter is attempting to pocket a ball (except the break) he is required to call shots, the intended ball and pocket must be indicated for each shot if they are not obvious. Details of the shot, such as cushions struck or other balls contacted or pocketed are irrelevant.

For a called shot to count, the referee must be satisfied that the intended shot was made, so if there is any chance of confusion, e.g. with bank, combination and similar shots, the shooter should indicate the ball and pocket. If the referee or opponent is unsure of the shot to be played, he may ask for a call."

This is STRAIGHT from the WPA rules, so if Shane was told "We are playing by WPA rules" Then at most, he should have received a warning and been informed that it's not entirely WPA rules because you must ALWAYS call the ten...

The rule is to ensure the ball isn't slopped in, but it always goes to the player and the onus is on the opponent or the ref if it is unclear which is why they may ASK FOR A CALL if it is unclear...

Jaden

p.s. Anyone who thinks that this MOVE didn't affect the rest of the tournament for Shane psychologically is smoking crack...

Last edited:

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
You need to read my post...

This should be the end of the thread. Shane did not attend the player meeting and did not know the rules of the tournament. Nobody else can be blamed for what Shane failed to do.

read my post above, this is NOT what WPA rules states, so this doesn't end anything.

Jaden

parvus1202

Suspected hacked account
Silver Member
"9.5 Call Shots & Pocketing Balls
Whenever the shooter is attempting to pocket a ball (except the break) he is required to call shots, the intended ball and pocket must be indicated for each shot if they are not obvious. Details of the shot, such as cushions struck or other balls contacted or pocketed are irrelevant.

For a called shot to count, the referee must be satisfied that the intended shot was made, so if there is any chance of confusion, e.g. with bank, combination and similar shots, the shooter should indicate the ball and pocket. If the referee or opponent is unsure of the shot to be played, he may ask for a call."

This is STRAIGHT from the WPA rules, so if Shane was told "We are playing by WPA rules" Then at most, he should have received a warning and been informed that it's not entirely WPA rules because you must ALWAYS call the ten...

The rule is to ensure the ball isn't slopped in, but it always goes to the player and the onus is on the opponent or the ref if it is unclear which is why they may ASK FOR A CALL if it is unclear...

Jaden

p.s. Anyone who thinks that this MOVE didn't affect the rest of the tournament for Shane psychologically is smoking crack...

Wow mate you really are forcing it. What is obvious to the shooter might not be to the referee, especially if it is 7 foot away from the pocket. The obvious might be just 3" from the pocket. The Ref still has the final say.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
a move but Shane made it easy

I have seen it dozens of times over the years. Competitor skips the players/drivers/shooters meeting before the event, heard it all dozens of times before. There is something changed for this event and the person not attending the meeting is burned. Most don't have the class of Shane and squeal like stuck hogs over something that was their own fault.

In this case I think the timing of the call was a move and yes I think that Alcano put the heat on the ref to make the call. Ref at every table I suspect some of the ref's were drafted and not entirely comfortable with their role. As long as both players are accepting no call on obvious shots the ref lets it slide too. If a player complains, then yes the conditions stated in the players meeting are enforced.

I have played both tournaments and gambling where every money ball was called no matter how obvious. I have also had fluke-ins be claimed as planned no matter how ridiculous when gambling and playing tournaments so I see some justification for calling all shots or all money balls.

If the rules of that event are that you have to tap your heels together three times and scratch your ass before shooting the money ball, those are the rules and you can't justifiably complain if you are burned for not doing it.

Shane made it easy to put a move on him and rewarded the move far better than expected by forfeiting. I'm sure Alcano was just hoping for one game and to get into Shane's head a little bit. This definitely encourages moves by Alcano in the future but I also predict some barbecues coming from Shane's way. Shane will no doubt acknowledge the mistake but he won't forget the move.

Hu

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow mate you really are forcing it. What is obvious to the shooter might not be to the referee, especially if it is 7 foot away from the pocket. The obvious might be just 3" from the pocket. The Ref still has the final say.

WTF? Have you ever played pool or read the rules? He's not forcing it at all. Under WPA rules, Shane would definitely not need to call that shot. The only question is whether there was an additional, non-standard rule to explicitly call all 10-balls. Jay muddied the waters here by saying they're using standard WPA rules.

mudball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9ZrFBWjrKk

It's pretty clear that Shane did not call his pocket on his first or third win, (49.50) and (1:11.50) On the first one you can see Shane clearly, He said nothing, and called nothing. Why didn't the ref call this? Because Alcano had not told him to yet. Same thing with his third win, he did not call it, ref did nothing.

Now after Shane's fourth win at (1:25) Alcano stands up, the ref's eyes follow the ball in, then he clearly looks at Alcano and then makes the call.

Ref doesn't make the call in two of Shane's previous wins, but does later in the match. It doesn't take a genius to know Alcano talked to the ref. So Alcano has changed what the ref has done previously. In effect Alcano is now the new referee.

In all fairness, if you have set a precedent by not calling it on two of Shane's previous wins, and his opponent complains and tells the ref to call it, then the very least that should have been done is to warn Shane that although the calls were not made earlier, I will have to call it because Alcano whined about it and it is a rule.

I don't see where the refs eyes ever looked at Alcano. He watched the ball, then went straight to Shane. Alcano didn't say a word until he got to the other end of the table.