Wow

chuckg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Think Earl's ferrule looks bad.My regular sparring partner has this.Says no idea how it happened.It looks like it was pinched in a door.
IMG_20230207_124157244.jpg

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its caused by using well used pieces of chalk and screwing the chalk into the ferrule. The top edge of the abrasive chalk sands the ferrule until it has a groove in it.
That would make sense...but the damage is pretty extreme. I couldn't imagine how much would it would take to create that. I don't think I've ever used a piece of chalk THAT worn.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
That would make sense...but the damage is pretty extreme. I couldn't imagine how much would it would take to create that. I don't think I've ever used a piece of chalk THAT worn.
I’ve seen these types of ferrules across the country, and I can’t help but think that the plastic ferrule is somehow dissolving or otherwise melting. It just seems way too much to be from hammering away while chalking.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I’m not mistaken, that ferrule was a test run of different shape ferrules by an aspiring cue maker.
This looks like it’s his hour glass shape version ferrule which never was very popular. He ultimately
decided to switch to hard rubber ferrules but unfortunately his shop burned down during vulcanizing
a new batch of ferrules. Then again, it could also be just a horribly treated ferrule needing replacement.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He probably uses one of those box shaped tip shaper/scuffers and goes at it like he has chalk in his hand , not a metal abrasive. It's from the edge of the tool.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I’ve seen these types of ferrules across the country, and I can’t help but think that the plastic ferrule is somehow dissolving or otherwise melting. It just seems way too much to be from hammering away while chalking.
I’ve been in rooms when I was a kid where every house cue ferrule was like that….I assumed it was a chalking habit that became the norm…
…and cheap house cue ferrules accelerated it.

ChrisSjoblom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just guessing here, but the damage looks consistent with what would happen when someone was using one of those metal chalk holders with the hole in the top rather than a wide open top. If they let the chalk get too worn the sharp metal edges could cause this. That said, I don't see any radial marks that would be there if the shooter were rotating the chalk or the cue. Maybe they just rocked it back and forth?

sam74

Registered
Looks like my ferrule. I can't remember if I ever had it replaced or not. I know I had it retipped but I asked the guy that did tip replacment if it needed replacing (after this look developed) and he said no several years ago. It's been my main player and breaker for the last probably 25 years but hasn't seen too much play the last 10 years. It's on a 90's meucii sneaky. I have no idea what caused it unless it was using it for breaking all the time.

TrxR

There's 2 or or 3 ferrules like that at the local pool hall. All they have ever used is masters chalk and never in a holder.