Wps-update-...............

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
That must have been a helluva match between Dennis Orcullo and John Morra in the Quarterfinals. Did anybody watch it?

Mich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That must have been a helluva match between Dennis Orcullo and John Morra in the Quarterfinals. Did anybody watch it?
Yes! Great Match. Dennis in the Shoot out 3-2. Tremendous pressure down the stretch with Dennis on the Hill and John making the comeback in the final few games.

Mich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where are all the Americans? Is it just NYC is too expensive? Wonderful venue and Production; seems a shame no top Americans in the field.

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
wps update

I'm also pretty curious why these events are not supported by the players. It seems the momentum is really moving toward the smaller tables. There are a lot of under $10,000 added events that seem to fill up a field of 128. We all know that the smaller table is a great equalizer.....but is that the only reason for this (and other) 9' table events??

What are everyone's thoughts?

Is this a turning point in American pool?

I grew up on 9' tables, but if the players don't support the events, how does play go forward??

Mark Griffin

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm also pretty curious why these events are not supported by the players. It seems the momentum is really moving toward the smaller tables. There are a lot of under $10,000 added events that seem to fill up a field of 128. We all know that the smaller table is a great equalizer.....but is that the only reason for this (and other) 9' table events??

I grew up on 9' tables, but if the players don't support the events, how does play go forward??

Mark Griffin
Just my $.02 here but i think a lot of people just do not want to invest the time-n-effort to learn the bigger tables. They start league on bar-boxes, get comfortable and never leave. Here in the Midwest probably 80-90% of all tournaments are on the bar table. Big turn-outs and big calcuttas seem to work in this part of the country.

Mole Eye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would guess that it is the expenses having more to do with it than the size of the tables. All the top Americans play big table and bar box. It comes down to expenses plus likelihood of getting into the money. I would say there are a lot of players who start out on small tables and prefer them, and also the other way around. Those who learned the game on big tables hate the little ones with a passion.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Where are all the Americans? Is it just NYC is too expensive? Wonderful venue and Production; seems a shame no top Americans in the field.

The Americans have no chance....you know, a penny saved is a penny earned and all that
Jason

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Mark Griffin

It is stretch to link this event's poor attendance to table size.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

Mark Griffin

The good news is that it would be tough to play 1 hole on a BB. :D

I was really hoping 10'ers were gonna make a comeback. 7' just isn't pool to me, sure it's fun once in a while, but it will never be real pool.

Thought I'd be back in Vegas first week of June, but it looks like I've gotta cancel due to work. Hope you're doing well out there.
Jason

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was discussing the declining state of pool recently n one huge point made was that pool has been trending downward for years and I mean years. We went from 10 foot tables to 9 footers to 8 foot recreational tables to 7 foot bar tables. Also we went from straight pool n rotation all the way down to 9 ball. The game has regressed along with attendance popularity and notoriety. It’s juvenile to say one certain thing is the cause of pools diminished state because there are so many factors that accumulated over time and they all played a role in basically taking a mainstream widely popular game and turned it into the state it’s in today.

However with all that being said the biggest pet peeve I have is when tournament directors and promoters schedule events on dates that conflict with other events. To me it’s ridiculous especially considering we all know numbers are down all the way around and to make it worse we have multiple events running simultaneously which literally cuts entrants in half. This is literally shooting urself in the foot and it can’t possibly benefit anyone and hurts everyone

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also I wonder why James Aranas didn’t play in this event? He was just in philly for the expo so I’m wondering why he’s not in this event especially with Dennis being around there. He absolutely could win I mean he wasn’t the favorite but he still could of won.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Field was around 100 players two yrs ago, or was it last yr? I lost track.

Not sure if Shane has something against this tournament, but I don't think he's played in any of them.