Wrapless Cognoscenti

oldgame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the new wrapless Cognoscenti. I have one with a leather wrap. Does anyone recomend converting mine to a wrapless. I think I would have to put a new wrap on it then glaze it over?

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the new wrapless Cognoscenti. I have one with a leather wrap. Does anyone recomend converting mine to a wrapless. I think I would have to put a new wrap on it then glaze it over?

If you can get Joe Gold to do it, Your all in, If not, and you have someone else do it, You will hurt the value of the cue if you ever sell it. Just some friendly advice.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Putting another wrap on it and clear coating over it is the way to go. Joe would be the best one to do it. If he won't do a hundred others will.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Putting another wrap on it and clear coating over it is the way to go. Joe would be the best one to do it. If he won't do a hundred others will.

And you don't think it will hurt the re-sale value of the cue, if he decided to sell it, if someone else did it???

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
I'd think it would cut the cue's value at least by half.
There are some things you just don't do.
If Mr. Gold wanted that cue to be wrapless, he would have built it that way.

But what about the argument that says, "Hey, it's my cue and I can do anything
I want to with it".
Sir, that may be true but you'll have to find someone else to do it because I won't
touch it. I have a set of ethics and as I said, there are some things that you just don't do.
I may be alone in my thinking but I have my doubts.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd think it would cut the cue's value at least by half.
There are some things you just don't do.
If Mr. Gold wanted that cue to be wrapless, he would have built it that way.

But what about the argument that says, "Hey, it's my cue and I can do anything
I want to with it".
Sir, that may be true but you'll have to find someone else to do it because I won't
touch it. I have a set of ethics and as I said, there are some things that you just don't do.
I may be alone in my thinking but I have my doubts.

Your not alone and I have seen plenty of stories on this site of people regretting it when they tried to sell the cue.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
And you don't think it will hurt the re-sale value of the cue, if he decided to sell it, if someone else did it???
It might hurt the resale of the cue a little, but not half like KJ estimated IMO. I pointed him to Joe first and others second if Joe does not work out. Does no one ever keep a cue anymore? I have played with the same cue for over 20 years now. Does it occur to anyone that maybe a customer wants something a certain way and $$ is not the all deciding answer? I was not addressing the resale value. You had already addressed that. I had no reason to repeat what you just told him. I just answered his question.

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member

Suggestions........
1. Keep the cue you have and purchase a new Cog wrapless.
2. Sell the cue you have and purchase a new Cog wrapless.
3. Send the cue you have to Joe and have him cut it in half and convert to
a wrapless.
4. Have a stack leather wrap installed. This is about as close to a wrapless
as you can get without being a wrapless feel wise.
5. Don't try to turn a pigs ear into a silk purse.
6. These are my recommendations and are JMHO.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I would go with Dave's recommend.
Go with a stack wrap. That way you have the feel of a wrap less
and the look of a wrap.
Myself, I would take a stack wrap over leather any day of the week.
Besides, I believe that would be the cheapest of your options.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I would go with Dave's recommend.
Go with a stack wrap. That way you have the feel of a wrap less
and the look of a wrap.
Myself, I would take a stack wrap over leather any day of the week.
Besides, I believe that would be the cheapest of your options.

Stack wrap and Cog ?
Red cloth Centennial table.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
OK, let's approach this from a slightly different angle, based on what's been
presented so far.
No one has embraced the concept that this modification will enhance the cue's value.
The consensus seems to be that such a move will actually reduce the cue's value.
Maybe that's a concern to the OP or maybe it's not. Only he can say.

The consensus also suggests that Joe Gold should be the one to do the deed.
I wholeheartedly agree. This would be the only way to maintain legitimacy in the cue.
As Chris has stated, there are hundreds that could and would Meucci-ize this cue.
This, IMO is what would cause this cue's value to tank. We won't know by how much
until the cue hits the secondary market, if it ever does.
If Joe does the work, the cue retains legitimacy (and it's value).
Just for the sake of the conversation, does anyone remember the Black Boar that was
floating around in the F/S section that had been inlaid by someone other than the builder?
That cue and it's legacy speak for themselves and to the prospect of this Cog's possible future.
I don't think it's too far-fetched to imagine this Cog cue experiencing a similar fate.

"Does anyone recomend converting mine to a wrapless.(?)"

IMO, a resounding NO.
Dave is correct. Either sell the cue while it still has it's full market value and
buy the cue you want or, if you can afford two, just buy a wrapless Cog.
Please don't Meucci-ize this cue.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
OK, let's approach this from a slightly different angle, based on what's been
presented so far.
No one has embraced the concept that this modification will enhance the cue's value.
The consensus seems to be that such a move will actually reduce the cue's value.
Maybe that's a concern to the OP or maybe it's not. Only he can say.

The consensus also suggests that Joe Gold should be the one to do the deed.
I wholeheartedly agree. This would be the only way to maintain legitimacy in the cue.
As Chris has stated, there are hundreds that could and would Meucci-ize this cue.
This, IMO is what would cause this cue's value to tank. We won't know by how much
until the cue hits the secondary market, if it ever does.
If Joe does the work, the cue retains legitimacy (and it's value).
Just for the sake of the conversation, does anyone remember the Black Boar that was
floating around in the F/S section that had been inlaid by someone other than the builder?
That cue and it's legacy speak for themselves and to the prospect of this Cog's possible future.
I don't think it's too far-fetched to imagine this Cog cue experiencing a similar fate.

"Does anyone recomend converting mine to a wrapless.(?)"

IMO, a resounding NO.
Dave is correct. Either sell the cue while it still has it's full market value and
buy the cue you want or, if you can afford two, just buy a wrapless Cog.
Please don't Meucci-ize this cue.

Does a re-wrap and refinish devalue the cue very much? If not then a cue with clear coated wrap would only require a rewrap and refinish to put it back like it was. Not much value lost at all, except for all the work he has paid to have done.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
True, in most instances, work that is done can be undone.
I hope he likes it.
It was never about the money.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
True, in most instances, work that is done can be undone.
I hope he likes it.
It was never about the money.

True, it can be undone, Here's the tricky part, Will the original Cue maker undo it??? The more people that join the ranks of today's Cue makers and repair people, the more anal the original Cue maker has become about who he thinks has enough experience to work on his cues. This is a real reality check for some people. It never hurts to pick up the phone and ask before you think about doing or having something done. I will not argue that the cue is sold and the customer has rights to do what he or she wishes. This is more about Cue makers. We can be real @holes sometimes. I have refused to work on 3 of my own cues, modified by the same disrespecting ass that knows nothing about my construction methods.

Last edited:

oldgame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am having it refinished and not going wrapless. Going with a very tight wrap. I have leather on it now, but I want something different. Going with black & brown, instead of black & white, like every other Cognoscenti is. I don't care if it lowers the value or not, I will probably never sell it.

oldgame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did not go wrapless, I had it refinished and put a black & brown wrap on instead of the leather. Most Cog's that I have looked at have the black & white wrap, but I like this better. This picture does it no justice, it's from a phone. 0804111749a.jpg

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Just curious, is that the stock/standard taper on the shaft?
BTW, good looking cue.
KJ

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Just curious, what's wrong with a stack wrap? Or did I misunderstand something? Why wouldn't one be ok for a Cog?

oldgame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The taper is around 11 1/2 mm, which makes it a very hard, stiff hit. If I use a fatter shaft it makes it a softer hit. I don't understand the question about the wrap. All I was saying was that I went with a black with brown specs instead of a black with white specs.