WTB Carbide Sanding Mandrels

EllisCueRepair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Selling your shop?
Getting rid of supplies?

I am looking for a set of Used sanding/finishing mandrels.

Any size any Pin....

.840- .860 etc... Radial, 3/8-10, 5/16-14, etc.....

Thanks

Shawn Ellis

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't want to sell my used ones, but I do have some new ones in stock and ready to go if you don't find some used ones.

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
Careful buying used ones. A few people have tried making some in the last few years and not done them very well. If you buy used. Find out who made them. Mr. Hightowers supplier and Rocket both make very good mandrels.

Larry

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
You're better off having a set made to your specs than trying to find them used. Pay once for quality and cry once.

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
You're better off having a set made to your specs than trying to find them used. Pay once for quality and cry once.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Once you have them. There will be no crying. Best thing I did was buy some early. Every time someone orders a shaft for a cue I made years ago. I and happy I bought the mandrels. When I did.

Larry

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
carbide spray coatings

Has anyone tried having a set of steel mandrels carbide coated and ground? I have been contemplating making myself a few sets and was having problems sourcing the carbide bushings for a reasonable price and was wondering if you could just have steel ones coated. There are lots of industrial applications where they spray on carbide and then grind it to size. If this post is to much of a derail I will start a new thread.

Thomas Wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone tried having a set of steel mandrels carbide coated and ground? I have been contemplating making myself a few sets and was having problems sourcing the carbide bushings for a reasonable price and was wondering if you could just have steel ones coated. There are lots of industrial applications where they spray on carbide and then grind it to size. If this post is to much of a derail I will start a new thread.

It's a funny world. When I invented carbide mandrels in the 1908's I bought a large number of custom pieces of carbide - what you're calling "bushings", thinking there would be a big learning curve. Got a good price on them for quantity, and the fact that everything was less expensive, so it wasn't even that painful. It also turns out that they are incredibly durable, and the first set I made worked perfectly. Good chance if I hadn't asked Paul Costain to make me a set for his Uni-Loc pin that cat would still be in the bag. Don't ever let it be said Paul would let a promise of secrecy keep him from marketing a good idea.

Anyway, I've got a drawer full of those damn blanks, and it's my feeling that carbide back then was better than it is today.. In almost 35 years I've only worn out one set - the pin I use most often - and I still use that set for undersizing prior to finish. So I've got this big pile of blanks that I'll probably still have when I die.

TW

Last edited:

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its not building them that is the problem it's getting the carbide for a decent price and in a reasonable amount of time. Its a 8 week wait and about 90$ a piece. I can have a set carbide coated and ground in less than a week localy.

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member

It's a funny world. When I invented carbide mandrels in the 1908's I bought a large number of custom pieces of carbide - what you're calling "bushings", thinking there would be a big learning curve. Got a good price on them for quantity, and the fact that everything was less expensive, so it wasn't even that painful. It also turns out that they are incredibly durable, and the first set I made worked perfectly. Good chance if I hadn't asked Paul Costain to make me a set for his Uni-Loc pin that cat would still be in the bag. Don't ever let it be said Paul would let a promise of secrecy keep him from marketing a good idea.

Anyway, I've got a drawer full of those damn blanks, and it's my feeling that carbide back then was better than it is today.. In almost 35 years I've only worn out one set - the pin I use most often - and I still use that set for undersizing prior to finish. So I've got this big pile of blanks that I'll probably still have when I die.

TW

That explains why you're so damn cranky!! You're at LEAST 122 years old:thumbup: