You can make a living playing a video game.....

Yes you can. And a fairly wealthy living in some cases. YouTube is littered with Call of Duty, FIFA, Battlefield and Minecraft videos, just to name a few. The money doesn't actually come from the games companies, but rather from YouTube. In some instances some people who post videos onto YouTube of them playing video games make over $1M a year from it.

As for money directly from video games? Call of Duty have hosted team of 4 events in the past where teams from around the world compete against each other to win a prize find in the region of $400,000. Not bad for being good at a video game, eh?
 
multi billion dollar industry and perhaps unfortunately, the entertainment of choice for our youth nowadays
 
From Tiger Woods 2001 through 2006, I had the game mathematically mastered and would bet as high as anyone could stand (or what I could stand, for that matter). My record was -28 in a single round with the hardest settings, except "windy" instead of "gale force" and almost never did worse than -23/round.

I tried to hole-out from every approach shot, and did pretty often as I got "the heart beat" on almost 100% of my shots and whenever I didn't, I spun the ball in the hole anyways because I could instantly calculate the spin angle.

There was a small group of guys that I knew of other than myself who knew the same info and it always came down to hole-outs from the fairway.

When I saw that guys were scoring as low as -30/round in that Golden Tee video, there's a lot less skill involved than you would think and a TON more knowledge. Meaning, you aim with the shot "arrow" and have static wind. It's mostly just hard work just to get the baseline of the game algorithm and learn the constants that affect ball flight. Once you know that, I'd guarantee these top guys almost NEVER drop below -24 or so

Wind: Golf games always have static wind. Meaning, they always say something like "15mph >>>>> this direction." Once you know how the win affects your ball: feet/yards left, right, long or short, you can imagine/see a grid and make exact offsets/adjustments.
Note: Games that incorporate dynamic wind eliminate this move.

Elevation: As with wind, once you figure out how elevation affects your ball based on shot distance, it's a constant and should be memorized. Once you know this and pair it with the wind adjustment, it's absolutely devastating.

Swing: I knew every part of the Tiger swing and what the % was. If I had to swing at a %, I could with tremendous accuracy. I'm sure the players had the GT swing down as well so there are no "in-between shots."

EA learned that some players reverse-engineered their playing model and have since incorporated random elements into the game. For example, they now have a "shot circle" that basically shows approximately where the ball will land, and it can statistically land anywhere in that circle, based on the lie and club selection. This put a huge, huge damper on hole-outs from fairways, %-wise. Since it's impossible to hit exact spots on approach shots, it's also a lot tougher to get stay within 5' or so from the pin, where before putting was NEVER an issue because you were always throw-in distance from the hole.

The hardest golf games, without a doubt, are the latest Tiger Woods (using IR scanners) and World Gold Tour (http://www.wgt.com) that uses reflex-timing.

Games that use hand controllers (PS3/PS4/XBOX/Golden Tee Ball) are FAR too easy to "monkey-thumb" and guarantee perfectly straight shots every time. Full disclosure, I don't play Golden Tee often at all and don't play well, but that doesn't mean I don't know that it's an easy game to break-down. In conclusion, video games are a real "sport" to play at the highest levels and there are pro tours / events / tournaments that pay way more money than pool tournaments.

Just look-up Fatal1ty (Johnathan Wendell) to get an idea of what can be made. Trust me when I say that he's a good example of a highly intelligent guy who "breaks down" games and learns the constants and eliminates the variables. Guys who WIN these mega-money events are not playing the same game (so to speak) than you are. They already know the outcome and the only aspect of chance is whether or not others know the exact same thing.

Edit:

Check out the attached Excel file that someone sent me for WGT a year or two back. I haven't played WGT in some time because my job and side projects have dominated my time, but at one time I was breaking down the game because you can win cash/prizes/vacations. For those interested, you'll see that the decimal places go into the ten-thousandths for exactness. At one time, this was prob accurate, but I'm sure they've changed their constants since this was made.

My point is when you reverse-engineer a game, you can absolutely DOMINATE others and score whatever you want. Guys were even writing special apps that sent a mouse click command when particular pixel definitions changed, which 100% guaranteed a straight hit no matter what. You cannot compete at these games unless you do the same, unfortunately. Over time, these games will incorporate variables such as moisture / humidity and barometric pressure which will make them impossible to break-down.
 

Attachments

Last edited:
Spider -- you have many of the factors down but it is far as simpistic as you make it seem for Golden Tee.

There is no mouse click or cheat as you suggest for Golden Tee, with a track ball, that can give you a perfect straight hit every time. And the difference of Golden Tee compared to a game like Tiger Woods is that the spin on the ball in the air, combined with the wind and then the slope of the green when it lands has a great effect on the reaction of the ball.

And with Tiger Woods, the joystick reaction and buttons are static from one controller to another. For a trackball, from one to another, no two are the same.

Your analogy is like saying once you learn how to aim in pool, you will never miss.
 
For a trackball, from one to another, no two are the same.

Let's not forget the alcohol factor which could change at every location! Quick brief story on Golden Tee as I used to play a lot back in 2002-2003. I remember they had this game in my favorite townie pool hall. Well one day as I was getting toasty on some drinks a couple of guys were playing and getting loud/cocky. I asked one of the guys if he wanted to play one round for $50.

He accepted so we played King's Canyon. I shot a solid -21...and lost by 2 strokes :(

There were some really good players in that game. I could easily see 5 or 6 figures made if they still had the big dollar tournaments. The players needed to master the shortcuts, as well as adapt to the ball tracker (since every one is different), and every single round will be below -20, even the harder courses.
 
Spider -- you have many of the factors down but it is far as simpistic as you make it seem for Golden Tee.

There is no mouse click or cheat as you suggest for Golden Tee, with a track ball, that can give you a perfect straight hit every time. And the difference of Golden Tee compared to a game like Tiger Woods is that the spin on the ball in the air, combined with the wind and then the slope of the green when it lands has a great effect on the reaction of the ball.

And with Tiger Woods, the joystick reaction and buttons are static from one controller to another. For a trackball, from one to another, no two are the same.

Your analogy is like saying once you learn how to aim in pool, you will never miss.

I totally agree with what you're saying, which is why I said that Tiger w/ an IR sensor is really tough because you actually have to swing somewhat straight and on plane. The track ball would not be tough to master in regards to straightness - it's a 2D mechanism, just like the XBOX/PS gamepad. I'm pretty sure you'll vehemently disagree w/ that, but you have to compare 2D to IR sensors that require 3D swing planes or fast-twitch reaction time mechanisms, as with WGT. They're really in different leagues. In regards to trackballs not being the same, I totally get that. But a seasoned gamer would quickly adjust to that just like a pool player adjusts to different table conditions quickly.

The last Tiger version or WGT on the hardest settings, difficulty-wise while playing on the square, could spot Golden Tee the last 4. It's literally impossible to score balloon red scores.

Please don't misread the tone of my post -- I certainly wasn't knocking GT nor did I say it's so cakified that anyone could score those numbers --- it takes a lot of dedication and time to get there.

All I was saying is that compared to the latest Tiger and WGT versions, it's far easier to "get there" with GT if you're breaking down the game (meaning, players have to execute in a controlled environment, no cheating). That is not in any way a knock on GT, I'm a big fan of the game. There are just WAY fewer variables, fewer random-causing factors.

For example, I know with GT you can roll the ball back and pause and the club stays exactly where you put it in order to get an exact %. That's a MONSTER when scoring low.

My earlier post was just made to shed a little light on how guys shoot 30-under-par in 18 holes when other people struggle to get lower than 5 under. It wasn't trying say GT sucks, because it doesn't - it's more fun to play due to a lot of factors. All I was saying that in regards to mathematically-mastering a game and breaking it down to get to that point, GT is an order of magnitude easier than the latest installments of TW or WGT.

I'm sorry -- I didn't mean to hijack your thread because I tried to explain -30 scores. It had nothing to do with your original post. It's just as someone who used to bet big against "whoever" at a game, I have a little insight on how it's done in case anyone else watched the video and picked up on the scores. That's all. If the game were TRULY random and truly tough as nails, no one would birdie every par 4 and eagle every par 5 and then have random hole-outs for additional eagles or double-eagles. If you play Tiger on the hardest level and use an IR sensor, -10 is a great score... the game won't allow -30s.
 
The reason for the -30 scores is because, as stated in the video, the top players play 10,000 games a year. And believe me, it is not like a top player has -30 every day. The course has to 'setup' for a bigger score and then they have to execute. I am not sure on the exact number of players that have ever shot -30 but I would put it less than 100 different people.

Too bad we don't live closer -- I'd love to go into the game control settings where you can test the trackball and give you chances to hit what is called a perfect 180 --- pulling the trackball staight back and htting it straight forward, on the same plane.

And the top players don't pull the ball back a partial way to a certain point to get a % as you suggest -- unless they are chipping or drastically in between clubs. It is all on how you hit it forward that generates the distance (for the most part).

I also agree that if they made the putting harder on the game, you wouldn't have such low scores but that is how the game simply is.
 
Just pull the plug. :wink:

Too bad we don't live closer -- I'd love to go into the game control settings where you can test the trackball and give you chances to hit what is called a perfect 180 --- pulling the trackball staight back and htting it straight forward, on the same plane.
 
http://www.golfchannel.com/media/play-making-living-playing-golden-tee/


A pretty famous person is shown several times in this video......

Build it, with the right people, and they will come.

-Watchez is the teacher

When I was out of work a few years ago I toyed with the idea of competing at GT because I saw ads for the daily $50K tournaments. I have the right mentality to break video games down as spider says but it would have cost so much money for me to get good at it - and no guarantee I could get good enough. So I didn't do it and started a business in stead.
 
The fact that players shoot better than -22 consistently in any game is proof positive that the game can be broken down in an effective manner. If making shots from the fairway is statistically probable based on knowledge and execution, the execution ain't as tough as one would come to think.

I would never gamble with you at GT because I know it's your core game and I never play it. If I could get my hands on one and keep it in my house for a little while, I'd at least try.

If the guys in that video played TW back when I played, they could all form a line around my house and wait their turn. Retarded to say anymore, almost like one saying how good they used to play pool, which drives me nuts. I knew ever millimeter to every course. Just as the top guys in GT know every pixel to every hole.... from playing 100k rounds.

Just curious, what's your average and best ever score in GT?

Btw...just to switch the topic... I think I have a good idea on how to stream a GT tournament: open the case and split the video cable to a Y and run a line into a scan converter than can be streamed to ustream or wherever. I'd like to sweat one of these. All this video golf talk has me horny to learn this game.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
 
Just curious, what's your average and best ever score in GT?

Btw...just to switch the topic... I think I have a good idea on how to stream a GT tournament: open the case and split the video cable to a Y and run a line into a scan converter than can be streamed to ustream or wherever. I'd like to sweat one of these. All this video golf talk has me horny to learn this game.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

My best score is -27. If I am playing, I average about -19 under.

The course you showed - from a great website on info of the game - is the easiest course in the history of the game. Still a great tutorial on how to shoot -30. Not all courses make it possible in what appears so easily.

We already stream - but thanks for the heads up. Streamed live on YouTube

Sweat away. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDoQqQcgZog

www.PEGTtour.com
 
No, I'm with you on this one. Never heard of it and never want to.
Eff video games.

You can say Eff video games but all it shows is that you don't have a clue.
The bars (and pool rooms) where we hold tournaments all beg us to come back for another tournament and add $5000 minimum to the event. Find a pool tournament where the owner is beyond happy to do that.
 
Video Games

Can you make a living playing video games......"no, but I can tell you what I can do. A guy that scores heavy on Stocker is a shoe in at The Point"
 
They just recently had the Call of Duty championship. First place team took $400,000 and it's a 4 man team.
 
Back
Top