You might be a pool player if . . .

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
My years away from pool weren't entirely pool free. Somebody I was using for day labor wanted me to drop him at a bar near his home. I stepped in with him to find the usual Valley type seven footer. We played a few games then an acquaintance of his put his money up to challenge and we started playing for the table. Never long enough away from pool to not bank on a bar table or play some other fairly aggressive shots.

After a bit the third guy said, "He is a pool player." What was funny was the tone and manner of speech. He couldn't have sounded worse if he called me a child molestor!

Hu

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
You might be a pool player ....

If you turn on the TV to watch "The Rifleman" and expect to see Buddy Hall.

If you rent the movie "Earthquake" expecting to see Keith Macready.

If you rent the movie "Robocop" expecting to see Dennis Orcullo.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
You're bridge hand is permanently formed, one or two fingers curled under, even when placed on surfaces other than a pool table.

In the old days of closed bridges I kept the fingers of my bridge hand contorted into one of several bridges I used stretching connective tissue for long periods rather than totally wasting my time in school!

Hu

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You might be a pool player if you go to a strip club and

A: Ask what the entry fee is rather than the cover charge, and

B: Rate the performers as you would handicap a pool game -- "This girl gives the last one the seven and the breaks!"

Lou Figueroa
bada bing

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
... if you have a tip shaping tool on your key chain.

Around here a BRAD tool on the key chain was likely to indicate a solid player, that is before The Color of Money came out. Seemed like all of the posers had to have a BRAD tool on their keychain after The Color of Money came out even though I don't remember one in the movie. A Brad tool usually indicated a moderately advanced bar room banger, maybe a high C by today's scale. If they flashed it around you could take a half step off of their speed. Mine was always with me, in my watch pocket with a square of sandpaper or scotchbrite. If I needed it to work on a house cue I tried to sneak it out when my opponent went to the bar or bathroom. I considered putting it on my keychain and flashing it around as a "double steer" of sorts but figured I might be outsmarting myself doing it.

I went in my favorite hall with a couple of running buddies when I was a teenager. For whatever reason Jessie had stuck on a bunch of tips without shaping them. No crown or shoulder just flat across the top. I grabbed one and out with the BRAD tool to shape it for myself, then I shaped a couple more for my friends. When I was waiting around I dressed another half-dozen or so. I noticed Jessie ease over to look at some of the cues that I had just shaped the tip on and placed back in the wall racks. I got the Jessie nod and smile seal of approval, nothing spoken. I didn't try to dress all of the tips in case Jessie was testing something but I did about a dozen give or take a few. Enough to populate the wall racks in that area with decent cue tips on sticks for those that cared.

Hu

Reactions: sjm