Your first ( good ) cue

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
as I posted on fb, when I asked this question the other day, it was a st-3 meucci

attachment.php

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
First cue was a McDermott that I bought in 1980 at the pro shop that Henry Harnish had downstairs from his upstairs room, Towne Billiards in Morristown NJ. Bought a cheap Yanez hard case with it. It was probably a C Series McDermott. I barely had it in my hands when I saw all these other players playing with these beautiful Josswest cues and I immediately knew that I had to have one. So I traded in the McDermott for a 4 point, four veneer, five window, SS joint JW. Cortland wrap. Cost me about $225, as I recall. That was probably in addition to trading in the McDermott, which had cost me about $100, I think. Still have the JW and would never, ever part with it. Will post a photo if I can figure out how to do that.

My old Viking ( I was 16 ) came in a cheap "fold-out" case with cheesy dark blue lining. I had no idea and didn't really care. Then I bought a NICE snakeskin print Fellini in Tampa that got stolen 2 cues later, out of my first car. I'm not sure but it was either my 1st Meucci or my first Joss ( east ). They broke my vent window on driver's side. I miss that case almost as much as the cue. The other cue, someone stole while I was in action, right off the table while I was in the bathroom. And of course, it's like 3am, everyone is pilled up and stoned, etc and no one saw a thing. At least he didn't steal my case which was off to the side.

Photos are easy here. Paperclip icon. Browse your HD to get the image. Upload. then close the window. Re-click the paperclip, then load it up! Piece of cake...

:yeah:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
My first good cue....Trophy snooker cue by Brunswick of Canada

75D20690-BEA6-455A-8C75-21139A07170D.jpeg

05F542BB-BF48-4ED5-8954-FEAA6CB58752.jpeg

They came standard 60 inches...11 mm

Chopped it to 57 inches...narrowed it to 10.5
Went on a win streak....lasted almost three years.

Left it in a pool hall ONCE after five years...had action the next day.....
...pool hall got broken into....they took everything but the tables.
...within a year, I took a seven year leave of absence from the game.....
...nice for you “It’s the Indian’ guys....for me, it’s the arrow also

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Michael Andros,

Originally Posted by TheBasics View Post
Howdy All;

Just off a Med. Cruise in Feb. of 1979 with the Navy and found a Meucci MO-3
4th from left in poster.
https://www.budgetcues.com/archive/meucci-mo-series.htm
Still have it. Bring it out of storage once or twice a year ...
I see alot of other same vintage cues from that poster for sale,
only have seen one of these.

hank

Nice cue! A lot like the first one I saw @ 74 or so.

Thanks. I paid about $120.00 for it Brand new, and about 2 months later I pulled an
"Earl" and slammed the but into the floor (concrete), ended up popping about 1/4 of
the butt cap off and cracked the rings on both sides of the joint. I worked in the
airframes shop so next day I snuck a small bottle of fiberglass resin and some
hardener home. Cleaned all the edges up and glued it back together. Wrapped it with
waxed paper then wound some dental floss around it. A week later after a wee bit of
clean-up good as (almost), new. Haven't had a problem with any of the repairs still
shoots nicely.

hank

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Michael Andros,

Originally Posted by TheBasics View Post
Howdy All;

Just off a Med. Cruise in Feb. of 1979 with the Navy and found a Meucci MO-3
4th from left in poster.
https://www.budgetcues.com/archive/meucci-mo-series.htm
Still have it. Bring it out of storage once or twice a year ...
I see alot of other same vintage cues from that poster for sale,
only have seen one of these.

hank

Thanks. I paid about $120.00 for it Brand new, and about 2 months later I pulled an
"Earl" and slammed the but into the floor (concrete), ended up popping about 1/4 of
the butt cap off and cracked the rings on both sides of the joint. I worked in the
airframes shop so next day I snuck a small bottle of fiberglass resin and some
hardener home. Cleaned all the edges up and glued it back together. Wrapped it with
waxed paper then wound some dental floss around it. A week later after a wee bit of
clean-up good as (almost), new. Haven't had a problem with any of the repairs still
shoots nicely.

hank

Arts and crafts!!! :grin-square:

Michael Andros

Silver Member

View attachment 524717

View attachment 524718

Nice cue, PT... but I've been dying to ask you this and now I'm drunk enough to get up the nerve.

What **IS** "snooker"??? Is that a game you'll play up there in maple-leaf land?

Just curious...

And, you any good at it?

<---- inquiring mind.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Took a one piece house cue (complements of ELMHURST RECREATION) to Herman's shop which was downtown on Wabash via the "L" in 58.

He converted it into a 2 piece cue with primo Cortland wrap for next to nothing.

So it began...

Bet you wish you still had THAT cue, huh? :yeah:

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

View attachment 524717

View attachment 524718

Gotta say.... if I saw someone with that come into a room, and ask for action...
all I would be thinking is 'danger danger will robinson' ….. just looks like 'ready
for business'! :wink:

td

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Nice cue, PT... but I've been dying to ask you this and now I'm drunk enough to get up the nerve.

What **IS** "snooker"??? Is that a game you'll play up there in maple-leaf land?

Just curious...

And, you any good at it?

<---- inquiring mind.

I ran the colors once....:happydance::happydance:

.....and then I realized.....i was doing the laundry.....:angry:

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Just curious...

And, you any good at it?

<---- inquiring mind.

Is there a pot that needs to be stirred somewhere?? :wink:

For all those dedicated snooker fans, I am hearing about a dedicated snooker
hall opening up here in the valley of the sun - Phx. Az.

As for first cues... I've already written about mine.. A JW. No, I wasn't spoiled, just 'lucky'... and it is always the cue that all others get compared to... so far still first
choice.

td

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
A sneaky Pete of unknown manufacture, was my first cue period.

An AMF Legacy with points, was my 1st good cue.
A Viking with Stainless Steel joint, was my 2nd good cue.
A Meucci with points,was my 3rd good cue.
All of these cues were owned 20+ years ago.
Of these cues, I still have the Viking.

Last year I purchased a new Meucci, with 4 points and a Pro Shaft. So, I own an old Viking and a new Meucci.

Last edited:

Michael Andros

Silver Member
A sneaky Pete of unknown manufacture, was my first cue period.

An AMF Legacy with points, was my 1st good cue.
A Viking with Stainless Steel joint, was my 2nd good cue.
A Meucci with points,was my 3rd good cue.
All of these cues were owned 20+ years ago.
Of these cues, I still have the Viking.

Last year I purchased a new Meucci, with 4 points and a Pro Shaft.
So, I own an old Viking and a new Meucci.

My Viking is long since gone. Still have my 2nd Meucci ( 40+ yrs ). First was stolen.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
I ran the colors once....:happydance::happydance:

.....and then I realized.....i was doing the laundry.....:angry:

Just as I suspected. I think that snooker stuff is just bs, frankly. Sounds like a pool player ate some bad hotdogs or something, went to sleep and had bad dreams... and that's where this stuff about "snooker" started, someone posted it somewhere and it went viral.

Gotta love the internet... :lol:

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Is there a pot that needs to be stirred somewhere?? :wink:

For all those dedicated snooker fans, I am hearing about a dedicated snooker
hall opening up here in the valley of the sun - Phx. Az.

As for first cues... I've already written about mine.. A JW. No, I wasn't spoiled, just 'lucky'... and it is always the cue that all others get compared to... so far still first
choice.

td

And with GOOD reason...

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
D5DD379B-40C2-4D95-920C-B91ACCD1F4B2.jpeg
First cue was a McDermott that I bought in 1980 at the pro shop that Henry Harnish had downstairs from his upstairs room, Towne Billiards in Morristown NJ. Bought a cheap Yanez hard case with it. It was probably a C Series McDermott. I barely had it in my hands when I saw all these other players playing with these beautiful Josswest cues and I immediately knew that I had to have one. So I traded in the McDermott for a 4 point, four veneer, five window, SS joint JW. Cortland wrap. Cost me about $225, as I recall. That was probably in addition to trading in the McDermott, which had cost me about $100, I think. Still have the JW and would never, ever part with it. Will post a photo if I can figure out how to do that.

Here are a few photos (if I did it properly):

E55CF544-DA3C-4692-95DA-7219122CDAB5.jpeg

336E50BD-9457-4C08-AC60-AB5AC763440A.jpeg

D5DD379B-40C2-4D95-920C-B91ACCD1F4B2.jpeg

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every cue I ever had was a "good" cue, but some cost more than others.

I worked in the pool hall as a kid and I always fixed up a house cue to my liking and never really had the need for a two-piece unless I was playing in another place. I had a couple cheap two-piece cues for that and they both played good,

In 1973, I decided I needed a better one, so I had one made by the A.E. Schmidt, Co. in St. Louis. It was made out of a Brunswick Titlist and the guy who made it was named Lloyd Bennett. I still have the cue and I had Scott Sherbine of Proficient Billiards restore it a couple years back.

You can see it in this thread. I just played with it a couple weeks back.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=273273&highlight=schmidt+1973+louis

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Every cue I ever had was a "good" cue, but some cost more than others.

I worked in the pool hall as a kid and I always fixed up a house cue to my liking and never really had the need for a two-piece unless I was playing in another place. I had a couple cheap two-piece cues for that and they both played good,

In 1973, I decided I needed a better one, so I had one made by the A.E. Schmidt, Co. in St. Louis. It was made out of a Brunswick Titlist and the guy who made it was named Lloyd Bennett. I still have the cue and I had Scott Sherbine of Proficient Billiards restore it a couple years back.

You can see it in this thread. I just played with it a couple weeks back.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=273273&highlight=schmidt+1973+louis

What a nice cure... certainly worth hanging onto all this time.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing about this section is that we are seeing how much those early pool cues
meant to us,

when Billy mentioned buying his $17,95 Brunswick Hoppe cue with the brass joint

I was reminded when i went to the same store down on Industrial Avenue in Dallas
and bought mine there.

I didn't know Billy at the time ,but I had seen the movie the Hustler and tasted the thrill
of my first few scores,suddenly I saw an opportunity in my min to escape the mundane world
of mediocrity that was all that I had looking forward t to.

Of course the pool world held hopes for high adventure,glamour (at least the hope).and
an opportunity to get through college without the part time jobs that held forth nothing but
slave s wages and long boring drudgery.

I could go on with the hopes and dreams that swelled in my breast as i purchased my
first pool cue,but i prefer to suggest that every time I get a new one today I feel something of that

feeling ,that moment in time that I bought that first cue
not just getting not just getting a piece of wood with leather here and there and a screw in the middle,I was buying a whole new way of life .