your paying too much for cues

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Another lost art is that nobody can write in cursive or know how to sign their name. Ask them to sign their name. LOL
1714833121835.png

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
the only time i write something is my signature. other wise i print it all.

wizard77

A great builder making a very nice looking AND NICE playing cue is Bill Dominiak in NY. Check out his website dominiakcues.com. Offers exotic woods, and kielwood shafts. All of his hard maple is locally harvested. Very reasonable and a super good guy.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
300 tops for a strictly top of the line made and hitting playing cue.

ill go to 500 for some that have to add things.

anything over that is fluff, or name brand value that has nothing to do with its playing.

go ahead and blast me or agree
That’s one way to look at it, but I’ve learned to view things differently as I’ve gotten older and my disposable income has increased. When I started playing pool back in college I did exactly as you- found a good hitting cue at a value and didn’t think about owning a custom cue. Once I got further in my career and could order a custom cue I did. Paid not quite a couple of grand and it turned out I played better with it. (The leather wrap was well worth the money-won’t ever have another cue without one).

I still have that old McDermott and it might be worth $100 bucks more than I paid for it many years ago, but I’ve been offered almost double what I paid for my custom Mobley. So for me at least custom has been the way to go.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
custom cues are nice and all my playing cues except the one always in my car as a bar cue are custom cues. made for my taste.

my point which many keep missing,, is that after the first say 300 dollars that is where the play ability cost of the cue tends to stop.

and fluff meaning inlays, special wraps, special shafts etc. are fluff for the buyer and not necessary for a playing cue.
can be worth it for many including me to make you happy or believe it helps you win or play better. some times it does.

as you can buy a great toyota for 25000 new that gets you from point a to point b, safely and comfortably. or spend much more on bigger and nicer.
that is the fluff and not necessary for the drive, but certainly nice to have.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
custom cues are nice and all my playing cues except the one always in my car as a bar cue are custom cues. made for my taste.

my point which many keep missing,, is that after the first say 300 dollars that is where the play ability cost of the cue tends to stop.

and fluff meaning inlays, special wraps, special shafts etc. are fluff for the buyer and not necessary for a playing cue.
can be worth it for many including me to make you happy or believe it helps you win or play better. some times it does.

as you can buy a great toyota for 25000 new that gets you from point a to point b, safely and comfortably. or spend much more on bigger and nicer.
that is the fluff and not necessary for the drive, but certainly nice to have.
Ok. So? I guess that’s true with everything, right? Except wine. I can’t drink cheap wine. Wish I could. It just sucks.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many times have you heard, and will continue to hear from supposedly higher educated officials, the term……..

Irregardless?

Well, there is no such word or term. People mistakenly think that since respective and irrespective are grammatically
correct, it only stands to reason the same similarly applies to regardless and irregardless but that’s hardly the case.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many times have you heard, and will continue to hear from supposedly higher educated officials, the term……..

Irregardless?

Well, there is no such word or term. People mistakenly think that since respective and irrespective are grammatically
correct, it only stands to reason the same similarly applies to regardless and irregardless but that’s hardly the case.

Actually it is a word. MW considers it non standard but they do consider it a word. Language evolves and, through usage, words get added. This is one of those. Not a word I use, but to say it’s not a word is incorrect.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
Why hang art on walls? But people pay up to fortunes to do just that. Same with cues, cars, you name it. Budget gets the job done for sure.

SchonS12

I figured a long time ago, shooting pool was communicating with the cue ball - which conveniently always does only what it's told. No grammer, spalling or butts.
I just love that line of thinking. Will use that line on my daughter. Hopefully get her to think MORE about cue tip, cue ball (communication) interaction. Dad will also be using it!

shooter_Hans

Why hang art on walls? But people pay up to fortunes to do just that. Same with cues, cars, you name it. Budget gets the job done for sure.
Pretty much this. I don’t like how people are criticized for having high end cues when they are probably in a hobby that involves high end collections.

I collect pens and watches as well. Some of my pens can net me a Tascarella and one watch would net me about 3 Szams or a balabushka. Instant cue collection. Except I like other things.

I’m sure many have an expensive knife collections too.

If we’re talking about playing then an expensive cue doesn’t do anything except make you look good but we all know it doesn’t help us play better.

It’s ok to have an expensive cue. If you’re a pool player since the age of 16 like myself then you deserve to, if you wanted to, bust out a fancy cue.

I can argue for both cheap and expensive cue. I’m shouting with a $100 cue while waiting for the 5k cue to arrive. It’s probably going to be used for house games so it won’t see a pool room or bar. Buy what you like. Quite frankly everyone can afford it. 3k cue isn’t life changing money to spend. A couch cost just as much. It’s whether you want to or not.

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually it is a word. MW considers it non standard but they do consider it a word. Language evolves and, through usage, words get added. This is one of those. Not a word I use, but to say it’s not a word is incorrect.

Good point….So shouldn’t irregardless mean in regard to instead of “not” as its colloquial meaning is applied?
Unregardless apparently doesn’t qualify because it’s so infrequently used in contrast with irregardless that isn’t.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
as long as i understand what they are saying i am fine with how it comes out of their mouth or written.

since its used in the same context it eventually will and already is accepted by the general public. just not by the grammar police.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
hey hans. ive got a couple old watches. my best is an old 50 year old piaget white 18k band with 28 10 pointers around the bezel.

used to wear it but sits in the box and havent looked at it for decades. its worth something.

shooter_Hans

hey hans. ive got a couple old watches. my best is an old 50 year old piaget white 18k band with 28 10 pointers around the bezel.

used to wear it but sits in the box and havent looked at it for decades. its worth something.
If the watch is what I’m thinking then yes it’s worth a lot. It’s their signature style. It is a classy watch.

Flakeandrun

I collect pens and watches as well. Some of my pens can net me a Tascarella and one watch would net me about 3 Szams or a balabushka. Instant cue collection. Except I like other things.
How's your pen collection? I've got a fair old whack of fountain pens. A lot of wild celluloid, and a bit of a Pelikan fetish (old and new). Oldwin, Onoto, Pilot, Eboya and a few more. I treat Montblanc like I would treat Predator... Do have a couple older ones.

Most of my collection has been traded or refurbed by myself from second hand. Same as my camera collection.

Can't see myself ever having more than two playing cues, and even that's if I am moving between places.

shooter_Hans

How's your pen collection? I've got a fair old whack of fountain pens. A lot of wild celluloid, and a bit of a Pelikan fetish (old and new). Oldwin, Onoto, Pilot, Eboya and a few more. I treat Montblanc like I would treat Predator... Do have a couple older ones.

Most of my collection has been traded or refurbed by myself from second hand. Same as my camera collection.

Can't see myself ever having more than two playing cues, and even that's if I am moving between places.
Pilot, Pelican, Lamy 2000, looking for a west Germany lamy 2k. I have a couple of old Montblancs showing signs of hairline cracks. I prefer built in piston systems. They still work flawlessly but I don’t have ink in pens I don’t use. Maybe 2 pens filled at the oat at any given time.

My signature color is Orange. Have been using noodle ink for years now.

I want to go purple but it’s hard to find a nice purple.

I don’t use black or blue ink.