Interesting 14.1 Situation, What would you do here? (from Robles/Sigel Match)

Eddie Robin

Eddie Robin
Silver Member
Please provide some data that just may help us come to a more confident conclusion. Additional data could also be used to make the puzzle that much more difficult by way of misleading us detectives. What is the score and is the shooter ahead or behind is often of importance. I'd normally like to know pocket size as well. However, in this case, I'd probably be interested only on whether or not either player was on a foul or two.

Assuming neither player is on a foul, my first thought is to give up a point by sending cueball to far side of 13-ball off the cushion at bottom of diagram in attempt to rest against that far side as close as possible. If this can't be done, I'd give up a point by nudging the 11-ball ever so slightly in preparation for the implementation of the previous idea in my next inning.

Even after using a magnifying glass i'd have to say shooter would not be able to glance ever so softly off the bootom side of the 13-ball so as to then save the otherwise loss of a point by then contacting the bottom cushion.

It would also be better to not have to give up a point by glancing off the 11-ball first before coming to rest behind the 13-ball, but from looking at the diagram again I don't know if that that should be attempted or even if it could be done at all.

My second thought is to see what others come up with first, but, I just don't have that much patience. I can see other options so let's see what they come up with.

Guess I should also mention that from putting a straight-edge on my computer screen I can see that a kick at the 14-ball wouldn't work. If hit as well as can be it still figures to miss the side-pocket by a hair. The way it looks on my computer monitor anyway. And since the 14-ball can't be made, the 3-ball...the 3-ball is a possible shot off the 14-ball and into the side pocket since the 14-ball will be ever so slightly nudged out of position first! Wow! It has become a matter of just how perfectly positioned the balls are in this drawing!

for a smarter game of straight-pool,

Eddie Robin

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
If the angle is right, tick the 11 and go 2 rails behind the 13. If the angle isn't there to do that with confidence, you have to take a foul. Do so by pushing into the 8. When they foul back, "push" into it again...striving to get a 90 degree tangent to the rail. If you do it well, you can go to the rail and back. If not, take the 15 ball penalty / re-rack (against players of their caliber).

New thought (edit): Just miss the 11 and kick behind the 13 and be on 1 foul starting there. I like that the best.

Last edited:

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
If the angle is right, tick the 11 and go 2 rails behind the 13. If the angle isn't there to do that with confidence, you have to take a foul. Do so by pushing into the 8. When they foul back, "push" into it again...striving to get a 90 degree tangent to the rail. If you do it well, you can go to the rail and back. If not, take the 15 ball penalty / re-rack (against players of their caliber).

New thought (edit): Just miss the 11 and kick behind the 13 and be on 1 foul starting there. I like that the best.

Pushing into the rack and getting that 90 degree angle is usually good but I agree with your edit that the foul is probably better.

If you had done the push shot, the chance of actually going to the rail and not leaving the 13 or even the 10 or 14 would be slim, I think.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Hi,
Both had scores in the 170's in a race to 200.

Tony played a sequence of shots and gained a great chance to keep running more balls from this layout :)

Here are 4 layouts illustrating the story:
http://talk.cuetable.com/showthread.php?t=5082

Thanks for posting this. This was a lot of fun. I'm glad to see the 13 was the move. I NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVER would have seen or shot the bank/combo/carom shot to the side.

Dave

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
15 point foul

Thanks for posting this. This was a lot of fun. I'm glad to see the 13 was the move. I NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVER would have seen or shot the bank/combo/carom shot to the side.

Dave

I noted in reading the text on the link,that the shot wasn't played.
Do appreciate the interesting post!