My pool night at the bar

billyjack

Registered Loser
Silver Member
You guys who gamble at bar pool definitely have my respect! Saturday night was a company get-together at a local bar. Knowing I'm a pool nut, one of my co-workers, a regular at the bar, invited me to the table. Of course I obliged. A seven foot Valley with worn cloth, dead cushions, dirty balls and dirty sticks. At least my Williard's was on my keychain so I could shape what was left of the tip. Quickly I figured out to use stop and follow shots only, short pattern routes and reduce rebound angles on banks and kicks to about 2/3 of the natural angle. About 15 games later, I had gone thru a few co-workers and a bunch of bar patrons, all without a single loss, and I'm an APA 6 at best. I politely refused any wagers larger than a "loser buys a round" bet, since I didn't really care to take someone's money or give up my own when table conditions dictated the outcome as much as skill. Also, my feeble mind couldn't begin to remember all the variations of 8-ball rules I heard that night. My regular bar-hopping days are in the distant past. I usually play in a local hall, or at some friends houses on good equipment with my own cue.
My hat's off to you members who play on crappy bar tables, gamble and win on a regular basis and enjoy it. You sure have more b*lls than me!

Bill

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You a sprint car fan? When I was a teenager in the 60's I lived in Knoxville IA for a couple years.

Russ Chewning

Short Bus Russ - C player
Silver Member
I was playing in front of Little Al Mason the other night and dropped a three pack down on the crappiest bar tables imaginable. Talk about pressure!

One positive thing about barbox eight ball on really slow tables.. It is easy to kill a ball. IMO, when playing 8 ball, it is a LOT easier to play on super slow, dead rail tables, than it is to play on superfast tables with really springy rails.

It really sucked to play that well in front of a champ, then to fall flat this weekend in Waco.. :(

Russ

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
Besides playing on bad tables and crappy atmospheres there are the arguments.

I was told a long time ago that you can play for thousands in a PH with no problems. Play for a quarter in a bar and there will be a fight.

TX BAD BOY

FISH IN SHARK TERRITORY!
Silver Member
No kidding

Besides playing on bad tables and crappy atmospheres there are the arguments.

I was told a long time ago that you can play for thousands in a PH with no problems. Play for a quarter in a bar and there will be a fight.

I have been in my fair share of crap holes...played for hundreds or thousands at some nice joints. But it is always that guy that you think is a sucker at $5 per game that will swing at you. The last fight I got into was over a beer game...

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
Yeah everyone wants to fight over ego more than money. Bar tables are brutal, I dont play in leagues anymore because they suck.