Unknown "monster" players

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my buddy mike katsaris says he was good buddies with vernon reid and tells a story of vernon going to play cincinnati clem just to beat him because clem was beating everybody.. mike says vernon started on one barrel and busted clem. according to mike, vernon would just go play whoever was claiming to be the baddest on their own turf, and nobody was a better all around player.

Who is Vernon Reid? The Vernon who has been spoken of here is Vernon Elliot.

m79a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joe Dan Bileau from Russellville Ky. used to be pretty sporty. Hardly ever picks up a cue now but hear he can still string a few racks together.

Tim Miller from Clarksville Tn. is pretty hot around here now.

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Monster players

How old is Joe Dan Bileau? What was the time frame he played around Russellville? As child (BC era) I lived in Russellville, Ky and still have relatives there.

m79a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How old is Joe Dan Bileau? What was the time frame he played around Russellville? As child (BC era) I lived in Russellville, Ky and still have relatives there.

I'd say he's in his mid 60's. He has a pool room in Russellville.

Mr. Wiggles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okie players

I used to play with James Walden out in OKC. At the time, he was THE BEST player I had ever seen. He ran 7 racks of 8 ball on me on a shimmed Gold Crown. And we were just messing around!

Yes, James was very strong. He's still around Okc. And SUPPOSEDLY is starting to play again. Hell you can never believe what comes out of most players mouth. Mark Demick helped James learn a lot when he first started playing. Mark is a Trick Shot player and referee. I've seen him reffing on ESPN. Mark plays in our leagues and is very knowledgeable and heck of a nice guy. Pretty strong, very analytical. Norman Hitchcock was a monster player and anyone in OKC knew him and played with him. He helped lots of shooters but did have some demons running around in his head. Norman was quiet and hard to talk to in his late years. RIP Hitch.

Mr. Wiggles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tony Watson

Sparky was playin' down in Kinston just about every Wednesday night so I got to see him play a ton! Tony Watson is wonderful to see when he's in dead punch! N.C. is truly a breading ground for pool and I'm sure there will be many more in the future.

I have heard Tonys name several times in this thread and finally someone said Little Tony Watson. I think he came through OKC. Many years ago when he looked to barely be of age? Very small, shoulders about 14 in. Wide. Looked like he was 14 years old. Seemed to have a foxy lady about 30 years old with him. Unbelievable player! Could this have been the young man I saw?

Rick S.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, Vernon was the best!!!!!!! Here are a few other noteworthy names who played Vernon------and lost. Keith McCready, Earl Strickland, Nick Varner, Louie Roberts, and I could keep going on with the list. With the exception of Louie Roberts (RIP) the others can be contacted for verification. Buddy Hall was a road partner of Vernon's for a few years. Ask him if Vernon could play!

This just might be the last photo of them taken together. From the Derby 2007. I gave them a few copies, and had them sign a few for me. ;)

73115675.jpg

01rkclassic

Cell - 937-554-5637
Silver Member
keith we have both seen brian play after 10 to 24 beers and play JAM up and hugh huggins(blast from the past) saw hughey take down some big scores around greenville s.c. in the 80s running with the notorious "fountain inn red" who also played real good and matched up even better. saw pete horne in a truck stop outside chicago in 2001 or 02 and he drives a truck for a living as i do also.

Lived in Myrtle Beach back in the 80's and knew Hughey,love to play bar pool right handed till everybody quit then he would switch to left handed,not many knew he was left handed!:wink:

Last edited:

01rkclassic

Cell - 937-554-5637
Silver Member
"Fat" Harold Dollar was a hellva player back then. Oh, and he lived in Sanford...lol.[/QUOTE]

Saw Fat Harold once at a tourney in Jackson NC,man he had a smooth stroke,nice guy also

SoniDJ

what's in your wallet
Silver Member
There is a road player running around Birmingham, Al. from S.Carolina so I'm told. He says his name is Donny, he's 5'8 mid 40s to early 50s about 150-165lbs with a grey hair and goatee and a pretty good looking brunette named Lisa running with him. Anyway he plays jam up, he stands up right with a loose slippery closed bridge stroke and strings racks together effortlessly almost as if he's free popping. Don't know if it is even his real name but I threw out a fair description, he plays a champion speed from what I saw, he ran a few 9's over giving them the 7.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Great thread, I read all 35 pages and while some great players were named, I'm going to cast another vote for Vernon Elliot. He is known now, but when he was in his prime very few people knew who he was. Also he didn't stay home and wait for the action to come to him he went looking for the action, high stakes action.

He wasn't just under the greatest players of his time, he was every bit their equal, or beyond. Let me give you some examples of people he played and beat, I'm sure you will recognize their names.

I saw a few of you mentioned Jr. Harris, a fine player to be sure. Well according to Jr., Vernon beat him five games of one pocket for $200, or $300 a game I can't remember which. Jr. said he never had a shot and never won a game.

Cliff Joyner played Vernon around the same time he was One Pocket World Champion. Vernon beat him four games in a row for several hundred a game. Cliff said he never had a shot and never made a ball. :eek:

When Ronnie Allen was in his prime he spotted Vernon 9-8 in 1-hole. Vernon robbed him. Then they played even for two, or three days even and broke even.

Larry Lisciotti once walked into the Parkmore Bowling Lanes in Louisville, Ky (Vernon Elliots home base). It was around the time of his 1976 World Open Pocket Billiard Championship Challenge of Champions victory. Vernon said 'Hello Larry' Slightly surprised Lisciotti replied 'You know who I am?' Vernon said 'yes, are you looking for a game' and to make a long story short he beat Larry at 9-ball, Bank & One Pocket out of around $4000. Then Larry suggested they play 14.1 to 300 points double or nothing. Vernon beat him at that too. :eek:

Vernon said the toughest game he could remember was against Allen Hopkins when Allen was in his prime. They broke even.

Remember folks, before the above mentioned players played Vernon, they didn't know who he was. He never once played in a tournament, not even a small local one. If Vernon wasn't the greatest 'Unknown' monster of all time then whoever is, is still unknown.

tl;dr Get your lazy butt back up there and start reading. Its a good story. :)

Very nice first post Nate.

WELCOME to the main forum!
JoeyA

THE FLASH

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was a guy named Frazier in nc /va. area who used to beat about everybody around, I don't know what happened to him. very smooth with both hands.

HawkeyeHustle

Registered
Anyone ever hear of Terry Porter? He is an older fella from my hometown in Muscatine, Iowa. The way people talk he was a great player back in his day. I believe he grew up in southern Missouri as a kid. Any info or stories would be great to hear.