PRO ONE DVD: Answering Questions

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This does not address his question. If the tip of the cue is offset as you describe, where is the long axis of the cue aligned relative to the two reference lines?

Please don't say, "you just fall onto the line."

After seeing the video a couple of times myself, the positioning of the cue is elusive, and is absolutely critical to the method.

Parallel to the ctel before pivot.

dstone120647

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pro one:

So you aiming parallel with the ctel TO either A,B,C with a half tip off set to the right or left of cue ball center and then pivot to cue ball center and you will end up pivoting towards the ctel?

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
The cue's relation to the CTEL changes depending on the cut angle and CB/OB distance. Forget about the cue's position - it's red herring. All that matters is your sight the correct visual (picture of the CB) and come STRAIGHT into the face of the CB with the tip offset 1/2 tip.

Simply lay a string on the table on a shots CTEL. Setup different distances and cut angles and pay close attn to the cue's relationship to the CTEL.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
petey im a poor guy ;) i suck at pool, i dout i would even win a game off of you :thumbup: From what i remember from your posts a while back that you dont even shoot cte the way stan teaches it on the dvd or am i wrong?

No problem. I do use a diff offset (half Ball) Pivoting left to right every time And I sight my ETC first. But a lot of people have trouble arcing correctly while using this method but it fits my style.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
So you aiming parallel with the ctel TO either A,B,C with a half tip off set to the right or left of cue ball center and then pivot to cue ball center and you will end up pivoting towards the ctel?

I am going to put this in order the best I can.
1st CTE then Edge of Of
CB to A,B,or C. Now when you see these two reference points you should be standing in the right place. Offset tip left or right and pivot in to center ball

Last edited:

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1st CTE then Edge of CB to A,B,or C. Now when you see these two reference points you should be standing in the right place. Offset tip left or right and pivot in to center ball

I believe you meant CB.

Best.:smile:

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
Help the rock head!!

After reading the posts on CTE/Pro One I've gotta say that I'm more confused than ever.

A little background on my CTE/Pro One.. Back in Spring of 2010 I had an all day lesson with Stan covering fundamentals, and Pro One/CTE.. To be honest, I left with a lot of confusion about Pro One. I did not really understand the 2 lines, to me it is still a judgment issue as far as am I really seeing the lines correctly. With that said, Stan is an amazing instructor with a ton of knowledge. The Pro One stuff is where I had my issues, everything else was A+ 100%. I am still a huge Stan Shuffett fan.

I got the video, have watched it several times and still just don't get it. It does help me a bit with the shots that are just off a straight in shot but anything over 45 degrees and I miss worse than ever. Unless I am missing something, there are so many variables.. Am I seeing the lines correctly? Do I line CBE to A, B or C or 1/8. Do I pivot from which side.. They pivots are far from obvious and if I'm not seeing the correct alignment none of it matters anyways. I'm very frustrated to say the least.

Not with any person, I guess with my lack of comprehension. I do think I'm a dummy, I finished high in my class in college and have a very strong understanding of the game of billiards. CTE just is not clicking for me. If anyone can make this simpler for me "rock head" I'm up for suggestions.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
After reading the posts on CTE/Pro One I've gotta say that I'm more confused than ever.

A little background on my CTE/Pro One.. Back in Spring of 2010 I had an all day lesson with Stan covering fundamentals, and Pro One/CTE.. To be honest, I left with a lot of confusion about Pro One. I did not really understand the 2 lines, to me it is still a judgment issue as far as am I really seeing the lines correctly. With that said, Stan is an amazing instructor with a ton of knowledge. The Pro One stuff is where I had my issues, everything else was A+ 100%. I am still a huge Stan Shuffett fan.

I got the video, have watched it several times and still just don't get it. It does help me a bit with the shots that are just off a straight in shot but anything over 45 degrees and I miss worse than ever. Unless I am missing something, there are so many variables.. Am I seeing the lines correctly? Do I line CBE to A, B or C or 1/8. Do I pivot from which side.. They pivots are far from obvious and if I'm not seeing the correct alignment none of it matters anyways. I'm very frustrated to say the least.

Not with any person, I guess with my lack of comprehension. I do think I'm a dummy, I finished high in my class in college and have a very strong understanding of the game of billiards. CTE just is not clicking for me. If anyone can make this simpler for me "rock head" I'm up for suggestions.

I'm not the best source for this but I have to imagine that for shots over 45 degrees, you are almost always using B and more than likely an inside pivot, until you get to the extreme cuts where you use 1/8th of the object ball.

The placement location of the bridge hand is critical when deciding which side of the CTEL to place it. It doesn't go on the CTEL, it's one side or the other depending upon which direction you are pivoting from.

Like any aiming system, CTE/Pro One requires practice. I believe the manual pivoting is best used for at least one month before moving on to the automatic Pro One side of Stan's CTE/Pro One.

Joe, I did show a young, up and coming player how to back cut shots over 45 degrees using CTE/Pro One. Previously, he had difficulty making the shot and even seeing the shot. Now, he "consistently and accurately" makes the same shot over and over.

I think all aiming is a visual perspective and it is my belief that we do not all see the same things, at least not initially.

When I first starting using CTE/Pro One, I was not "accurately" lining up the secondary point which is critical. I would think edge of cueball was lined up with A, B or C but in fact, I was being lazy and getting close. Once I started being "accurate" with ECB and secondary reference point, the balls started falling far more consistently.

In addition to all of this, you still have to put a good straight stroke on the shot. Another thing that I had to fight was "re-aiming". When you learn CTE/Pro One, you sometimes want to revert back to your original way of aiming and that too, can screw things up.

I suggest taking the simplest shots and practicing them until you "own the precision". Once that is down pat, you can move on to the more difficult shots.

Staying still, stroking straight, smoothly acclerating your cue through the cue ball are still critical parts of making the shot as they are with any aiming system. The CTE/Pro One should take care of the critical alignment which is all so necessary for consistent potting.

Also, one more thing. Take one of Stan's shots that is greater than 45 degrees that he shows on the video and mark the spots on the table where the OB and CB are with a piece of chalk, then use the coordinates that Stan says he is using. Practice that until you can't miss it. I think eventually everyone can start seeing the same visual picture with some practice and when you see the same visual picture as Stan sees, the balls will start falling. That's just my opinion and nothing more.

Last edited:

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
1st CTE then Edge of Of
CB to A,B,or C. Now when you see these two reference points you should be standing in the right place. Offset tip left or right and pivot in to center ball

I corrected a typo from earlier. The site went down and I could not edit. This may make more sense lol

Last edited:

JoeyA

Silver Member
I said cue and meant cueball. :embarrassed2:
Thanks to my friends for keeping me on track.

JoeyA

Silver Member
I said cue and meant cueball. :embarrassed2:
Thanks to my friends for keeping me on track.

Not to kill this thread but my "buddy" Patrick Johnson didn't make very many grammatical mistakes. Hope he is doing well. Miss his positive contributions to the forum.

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cue's relation to the CTEL changes depending on the cut angle and CB/OB distance. Forget about the cue's position - it's red herring. All that matters is your sight the correct visual (picture of the CB) and come STRAIGHT into the face of the CB with the tip offset 1/2 tip.

Simply lay a string on the table on a shots CTEL. Setup different distances and cut angles and pay close attn to the cue's relationship to the CTEL.

Nice, Dave. CTE 101... Trust the correct visuals, not where to aim the cue stick. Our brain already knows, but are we listening to it?

Best,
Mike

Meanwhile the rest of us have been practicing at the table and are now world champions before you have even figured how to pivot.

just kidding!:thumbup:

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not to kill this thread but my "buddy" Patrick Johnson didn't make very many grammatical mistakes. Hope he is doing well. Miss his positive contributions to the forum.

Joey,

I found Patrick to be a voice of reason despite his sarcasm. I think he could be an asset to the forum if he was allowed to return.

Taking the liberty to read between the lines, it appears you are becoming comfortable with your Cte adventure. Your guidance is from an experienced point of view and you made a lot of good observations which can help shorten the learning curve of Cte students. Hope it's going well for you.

Best,
Mike

Joey,

I found Patrick to be a voice of reason despite his sarcasm. I think he could be an asset to the forum if he was allowed to return.

Taking the liberty to read between the lines, it appears you are becoming comfortable with your Cte adventure. Your guidance is from an experienced point of view and you made a lot of good observations which can help shorten the learning curve of Cte students. Hope it's going well for you.

Best,
Mike

By the time these guys nail down the proper CTE method, they'll be too old and blind to make any use of it.