Does the joint make that much of a difference?

twal

"W"
Silver Member
I was speaking with someone the other day and they mentioned that different joints will make a cue hit softer or stiffer depending on the type of joint.

That is assuming you have the same shaft, same weight, taper, tip, etc... all the same but the joint was the only difference.

Is this true?

Assuming this is true, is there some sort of chart to go by just like the Mueller index for tips that list super stiff down to solid?

Or it a simple wood to wood contact like a 3/8 x 10 or radial would feel similar as compared to a SS joint like the 5/16 14?

I also see some cue makers have phenolic jackets. Why is that done?

I looked through some of the prior threads and really could not find much on the subject.

If anyone can direct me so I can get more information would be much appreciated.

Thank you

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I was speaking with someone the other day and they mentioned that different joints will make a cue hit softer or stiffer depending on the type of joint.

That is assuming you have the same shaft, same weight, taper, tip, etc... all the same but the joint was the only difference.

Is this true?

Assuming this is true, is there some sort of chart to go by just like the Mueller index for tips that list super stiff down to solid?

Or it a simple wood to wood contact like a 3/8 x 10 or radial would feel similar as compared to a SS joint like the 5/16 14?

I also see some cue makers have phenolic jackets. Why is that done?

I looked through some of the prior threads and really could not find much on the subject.

If anyone can direct me so I can get more information would be much appreciated.

Thank you

I can tell you this much Ive had metal jointed cues that played extremely soft. Ive had flat faced phenoic jointed cues that play extremely hard. The best Ive ever had was an ivory jointed cue with a flat faced joint. All 13mm shafts of similar weight 4.2 to 4.4oz.

336robin

9ballrun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
joints.jpgJoint Code Butt Material Shaft Material Type of Hit
A High-Impact Implex Resin High-Impact Implex Resin Soft
B Stainless Steel High-Impact Implex Resin Firm
C Stainless Steel Stainless Steel Hard
D Maple Maple Soft, Hustler Style

that is from viking's website, dont know if it helps but i was just looking at it today myself before reading this.

twal

"W"
Silver Member
Can of worms?

I don’t understand why this is a can of worms.
Does wood to wood jointed cue feel softer than a stainless steel joint?
Is it true or not?

Feel is subjective, and just like how hard or soft a tip is.
But we all can agree when you put a tip like Samsara up against a Sniper tip the Sniper is softer.
Maybe it is not that simple and okay I get that but I thought someone would have some insight on this.

It sounds like this topic is taboo and I should say no more. WTF?

StrokeofLuck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the joint is kind of a synergistic thing along with the rest of the cue so the hit might be different combined with the other characteristics of that particular cue. All things being completely equal on the cue other than the joint, I would say blindfolded one would have a very difficult time noting a difference in hit between a wood to wood and SS joint.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Joints have everything to do with the cue's hit. Shafts resonate at a certain frequency and butts resonate at a completely different frequency. The joint acts as a coupler to allow the shaft and butt to resonate as one piece of wood.

Therefore, some joints (depending of the make-up and geometry) are more efficient than others. There are unlimited combinations that produce certain feels/hits. All of which are subjective, depending on one's style of play.

I think Lambros's Ultra Joint is the best joint in the galaxy, bar none. But once again-- that's just me.

twal

"W"
Silver Member
So now I am curious, what kind of joint is the “Lambro’s Ultra Joint”?
Cleary it fits your style of play, but how does it feel to you? (not to stiff/not too soft)

ChampionsRepair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It sounds like this topic is taboo and I should say no more. WTF?

Exactly...

The joint style and pin size are just two of the variables that have a direct effect on the "hit" of a cue. The species of wood, quality of wood, moisture content of wood when sealed, tapers, ferrule or lack there of, tip, adhesives used, construction methods, finish, and more all have a cumulative effect on the perceived "hit" of a cue. Then different pin sizes and joint styles have different weights that effect the overall weight and balance of a cue.

In other words your question will never be answered by any one other than you. And your answer would likely be different than mine would be if I was in search of the answer to the same question.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is generally regarded that::
75% of the 'hit' qualities of the assembled cue come from the tip
20% of the 'hit' qualities of the assembled cue come from the shaft

This does not leave a lot of qualities left to be distributed amongs the but weight, joint, but balance, and the host of other (albeit minor) factors.

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to muddy the waters:D

One piece of folk lore is that to get a good cue, find a one piece house cue that you like in a pool room, buy it, and have a joint installed.

Never seen anything about this conversion destroying the playing qualities of the cue, or that success is determined by the joint chosen.

ChampionsRepair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is generally regarded that::
75% of the 'hit' qualities of the assembled cue come from the tip
20% of the 'hit' qualities of the assembled cue come from the shaft

This does not leave a lot of qualities left to be distributed amongs the but weight, joint, but balance, and the host of other (albeit minor) factors.

If you honestly believe this install a joint pin that matches your favorite shaft into a 29" length of 1 3/8" pine closet rod dowel. Your game won't drop it will play almost as good as your cue right??? 95%???

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And while we're on the subject of joints :D

High end snooker cues have 3/4 shafts, instead of pool cues' 1/2.
So there is an informed group of players who have precision instruments, and a bunch of Americans who like convenience :D

malidave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you take cues with various joints and tape over them to hide what it is and ask players to hit with it and guess what the joint is most will not know.

twal

"W"
Silver Member
Ask the Cuemaker

I started this thread there 2 days ago but got no response.
I guess this something they don't want to touch.