Difference in tip glue

TheThaiger

Banned
How much difference does the glue you use to retip your cue make to the hit?

I usually use superglue gel, but am planning to use ordinary superglue for my next one - will it make an *appreciable* difference to the hitl?

steveinflorida

Silver Member
I doubt that it would make any decernable difference in the hit.
I have used Loctite gel for years and have never had a reason to switch.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Won't make any difference. Even the gel gets squeezed all out to the point where the only thing holding the tip is the stuff that absorbed the surfaces. It's just a little easier to install using gel because of the slight more time you get to center the tip. Once on & excess glue squeezed out, no difference in what the glue is so long as the tip stays on. Epoxy the same way. Doesn't work any better or any worse. The only adhesive that 'might' cause a difference is contact adhesive.....and even that is a stretch.

TheThaiger

Banned
Won't make any difference. Even the gel gets squeezed all out to the point where the only thing holding the tip is the stuff that absorbed the surfaces. It's just a little easier to install using gel because of the slight more time you get to center the tip. Once on & excess glue squeezed out, no difference in what the glue is so long as the tip stays on. Epoxy the same way. Doesn't work any better or any worse. The only adhesive that 'might' cause a difference is contact adhesive.....and even that is a stretch.

Thanks for that. The trouble with pool is too much misinformation!

cuejo

Cue Repair tech
Silver Member
I've been using loctite blue gel, also crazy glue gel, more recently cue components tough tip.......all depends what my hand reaches first ;)

hdgis1

You're joking about gorilla glue right? That stuff isn't fit for gluing popsicles sticks together.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How much difference does the glue you use to retip your cue make to the hit?

I usually use superglue gel, but am planning to use ordinary superglue for my next one - will it make an *appreciable* difference to the hitl?

Word of warning. When you use regular super glue if you have the shaft in an up right position when you put on the tip be careful no glue squeezes out and runs down the shaft.

TheThaiger

Banned
Word of warning. When you use regular super glue if you have the shaft in an up right position when you put on the tip be careful no glue squeezes out and runs down the shaft.

Sure, I've had that happen before. I think i transferred some onto the shaft via my hands as well, as there were spots of glue everywhere. A pig to shift and a lesson learned.

ZekeCv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the same glue but mine is the liquid not the gel, its loctite, i know thats the best one to use imo and most installers. i just mostly hear gel, but i have issues with my tip popping off, with several diffrent tips on diffrent shafts, with pads without pads. so just incase i carry around some 200 grit and loctite superglue with the little brush. idk if thats good enough or if it will soak and harden layer tips..
I doubt that it would make any decernable difference in the hit.
I have used Loctite gel for years and have never had a reason to switch.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I have heard that ordinary superglue soaks into the tip and makes it harder.

Not necessarily making the tip harder. The tip will only wick up so much glue.
But, that is why it is a great idea to swipe a small amount of glue across the bottom of the tip and let it dry, then lightly scuff with sand paper. Certain tips have a propensity to wick up more glue, leaving very little on the tip itself. Then, you run the chance of a tip popping off.

My choice lately has been a gel or a gel with the rubberized compound.
Seems that the gel will allow you a bit more time for centering the tip.

billyjack

Registered Loser
Silver Member
You're joking about gorilla glue right? That stuff isn't fit for gluing popsicles sticks together.

I've probably done 30-40 tips with Gorilla Glue, including a White Diamond which has a reputation as being very sensitive to glue type, and only had one come loose. It was on a cheapo graphite cue with a slimy plastic ferrule.

Bill

Tokyo-dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ran into a guy the other day that claims that the super glue types of adhesives gives his shafts a 'dink' type of sound that he doesn't care for. He says he tried an epoxy for the first time, and no 'dink'. I personally like the dry crisp sound I get from my shaft/tip combination, so it wouldn't be something I would want to eliminate. But this guy swears that superglue harden enough of the tip to make what he considers an undersireable sound.

When it comes to wether or not to use the gel or liquid type superglue. I've found that the gel works better because it's not as messy, and like qbuilder said, it gives you that much more time to set the tip. I've had bad installs with the liquid glue not bonding correctly but not because the tip absorbed all the glue, but most likely because the glue set up before I was done positioning the tip.

dave

danquixote

DanQuixote
Silver Member
I use the loctite gel now.....but used 5min epoxy for many years w/o any problems. one thing I recommend regardless of glue used, is to tape the ferrule area with a good quality painters tape. The 3M blue works well for me and eliminates messy cleanup if I over apply the glue.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member

No, I'm not joking about Gorilla glue. If both surfaces are clean, flat and slightly dampened with water, the Gorilla glue works great.

If you keep pressure on the tip as the glue sets up, it won't come loose or come off during play. The only way it will come off is by prying it off.

Even prying it off, the base of the tip will stay stuck to the ferrule end.

You can even glue your popsicle sticks together if you use a little water to dampen them first.... Works for me.