No Boycott of U.S. Open

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will buy the stream of that meeting!

For sure! That might have more tough shots executed than the entire tournament. ;)

All kidding aside, this is very good news, and I am happy for Barry, et al., as well as the ABP members. :cool:

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
I will wait for the ABP release on the US open situation.

But since the BCA took action things are looking on the up.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
You know it will be all kum-by-ah and shit. Barry will talk for 30 minutes about how great it is to work everything out and the people who actually were behind the boycott probably wont even be in the room.

I'm not a cynic in real life but I play one on the internet.

Could have fooled me.

Did it occur to you that perhaps the people who were "actually" behind the boycott have "actually" worked things out with Barry?

Hopefully, we can move forward and make this tournament better than ever.

Last edited:

MahnaMahna

Beefcake. BEEFCAKE!!
Silver Member
Might as well delete the "ABPPro" handle on this forum. Apparently it is too much to expect that the pros who are a part of this association contribute to this site any time other than when it directly benefits them and their personal agendas.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Players, Promoters, Fans...

Everyone who enjoys pool.

That's what I was thinking when I used the word "we".

It's a win-win for sure. Bravo to all who made it happen!

We need to put this baby to rest and move forward.

[Sing to the tune of "Onward, Christian Soldiers"']

Onward, Tournament Soldiers,
marching off to shoot,
With the goal of winning
and ending that dispute!
:thumbup:

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Might as well delete the "ABPPro" handle on this forum. Apparently it is too much to expect that the pros who are a part of this association contribute to this site any time other than when it directly benefits them and their personal agendas.

I agree. All-too-many times, whoever was using that screenname at the time (mostly Archer and Putnam) were replying to posts and shooting from the hip in saying they were speaking "for all members of the ABP." When, in fact, they weren't. (Corey Deuel comes immediately to mind here, although there were others.)

-Sean

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I'm happy for everyone involved that the show will go on.
However, I have lost a great deal of respect for some of the ABP members
that were involved in the negotiations.
Hopefully, future actions by the members will restore my faith but I somehow doubt it at the moment. Just very disappointed on how it was pulled off, very unprofessional of them. Time will tell.

And I truly hope that Earl will be a member of the 2012 Mosconi Cup Team USA. Not because I like the drama, just that I have my fingers crossed for the Pearl.
That will be their next purported boycott. We will see how that pans out.

Last edited:

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
Tap, Tap, Tap

Hopefully, future actions by the members will restore my faith but I somehow doubt it at the moment. Just very disappointed on how it was pulled off, very unprofessional of them. Time will tell.

And I truly hope that Earl will be a member of the 2012 Mosconi Cup Team USA.

purpdrag

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't wait for this players meeting! :welcome:

Almost worth paying the $500 entry fee just so I could be there, then turn around, come home, and go back to work.

Edited to add: Also want to say I'm happy it all worked out pretty well. The positive and cordial tone of the announcement has me believing that both sides listened to a mediator that convinced them all that nobody was gaining from the back and forth sniping and how important it is to everyone involved to project a positive warm fuzzy feeling to the public no matter what your feelings are in private. If both sides are convinced to try being nice to each other they will usually come out in the end with at least somewhat of a genuine feeling that "Hey, you know, he's really not so bad after all."

Last edited:

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
Usaully the payouts are adjusted by a percentage of total entrys divided by 256. Or, approximately 25% reduciton of the prize fund will mean a 25% reduction of all payouts.

The $50,000 added (based on a full field of 256) will be reduced by 25% or $12,500 to $37,500 1st place prize of $40,000 would be reduced to $30,000.

Just guessing.

What happens if it is not a full field?

Last edited:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
It's just all good that both sides came to an agreement and the Open will have brand names in it. The ABP players putting on a pro-am at Master's before the Open is a good step forward by the ABP. Johnnyt

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
Because pretty much everyone knew the players would give in and play. They all want there Mosconi Cup points and a chance to make some money.

To me all it did was show the true colors of some players in how they negotiate.

Looks to me like it was Barry who gave in, not the players.

spanky79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks to me like it was Barry who gave in, not the players.

There had to be compromise on both sides.

All I git out if it was seeing the true color of some people.

It just told me what I already knew, pool players can't pick a leader for s--t and most ,NOT ALL, are in it for themselves and don't even think about the sport. Some didn't even know they where on the damn list.

I also hope Earl is on the Mosconi Cup team and if players don't want to play with another guy who earned his spot, the We don't need them on out team anyway, I don't care who they are.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Everyone and their mother knows that if the players vowed to boycott this year, there would have been a couple of them sneaking in to try and steal.

And if a player who showed up to steal, won and got paid (even if it was late and on the payment plan) he would be LAUGHING in all the other players faces. (especially if it was a past champion who for all intensive purposes, is on a free-roll)

Believe me, no one wants to be that guy, who could have won A LOT of money, but didn't.

They would be getting ripped on and laughed at for the rest of their pool careers.:D

JimmyWhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Off-topic question:
Is there going to be any live streaming of the TV table? Is it covered by ESPN? (I live in europe btw)

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member

And I truly hope that Earl will be a member of the 2012 Mosconi Cup Team USA. Not because I like the drama, just that I have my fingers crossed for the Pearl.
That will be their next purported boycott. We will see how that pans out.

I too am happy this has been worked out.

However, I have not lost any respect for the ABP members. In fact, I have gained a little more respect for them for standing up for themselves. I will totally agree they didn't handle the situation with the best political prowess, but their objective was achieved. It has long been over due for a players organization. If they get organized and have the proper leadership and direction, they have the potential to achieve a lot of good things for professional pool. Unfortunately, I think their only real goals are to make sure they are paid. Time will tell if they have any more ambition than that.